How to customize ringtones in Windows Phone 7
Customizing ringtones is a great way to personalize your Windows Phone and it’s the latest in our series of Windows Phone 7 Tips and Tricks. Setting ringtones for specific functions or people can also prove to be useful and a time saver. It will also let you know when your boss is calling, so you can safely ignore your phone, although we’re not sure we can recommend this. Okay, lets get started.
Customizing Your Default Windows Phone Ringtone
There is always one ringtone to rule them all and that’s your default. This will be what you hear for any callers that do not have any personalization.
- Swipe to the left and then scroll to ‘Settings’
- Select ‘Ringtone’
- Press the play button to preview any of the available thirty jingles
- When you have found one you like, simply press on the name of the ringtone. It will become highlighted.
Note: It’s not currently possible to create customized ringtones to add to this list of thirty. Although it hasn’t been announced officially, there are rumors that customized ringtones will be coming to Windows Phone with the Mango release this fall.
Creating A Personalized Ringtone For A Contact
By creating personalized ringtones for contacts, the ringtone is an audible notice to alert you as to who is calling. Here’s how to set up personalized ringtones on your Windows Phone.
- Click on the ‘People’ tile on your Start screen
- Tap ‘A’ and select the letter of the first name of the contact
- Select the contact. In this example, I’m selecting Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse, even though I’m not expecting a call from them anytime soon.
- Click on the ‘edit’ button (pencil icon)
- Select the + ringtone
- Preview the available ringtones using the ‘play’ button
- Press the name of the ringtone you would prefer and it should now be highlighed.
That’s it, you’ve just personalized a ringtone for one of your contacts. You can repeate this step to create ringtones for any of the folks in your People hub.