The next big mobile conference is Mobile World Congress and there is some exciting news related to Windows Mobile 7. There have been plenty of rumors and today we get some very interesting information courtesy of PPCGeeks.
- Windows Phone 7 will be unveilved at Mobile World Congress on February 15th and you can expect to see the user interface of the new platform, but not specific functionality.
- User Interface is based upon codename “METRO” and will be similar to the UI of the Zune HD. There will be a complete revamp of the “Start” screen. The UI is “Very Clean”, “Soulful” and “Alive”
- No Flash support
- Windows Phone 7 will only support application installation through service based delivery. (i.e Marketplace). Application installation via storage card will not be possible.
- No Multi-Task support. Applications will “Pause” when in the background, however will support notifications via push notifications.
- Marketplace will now support “try before you buy” as well as an API
- No NETCF backwards compatibility. This means the original rumor of no backward compatibility for applications holds to be true. That being said, there are high hopes of porting the NetCF to the newer platform easily.
- Microsoft is confident that devices will be ready by September 2010
- Full Zune Integration
- Windows Mobile Device Center will no longer be used. Zune software to take over syncing via PC.
- OEM Interfaces will not be allowed to run on the device. Say goodbye to Sense UI / SPB Mobile Shell / Point UI / Infinity, etc, etc
- Full XBOX Gaming Integration (Gamer tag, achievements, friends, avatars, merchandising, etc)
- Full support for social networking
This is still in the rumor category, but certainly the most detailed information we’ve seen on Windows Mobile 7. Zune interface, application pausing and devices by September, 2010. It all sounds too good to be true. February 15th is just days away, so we’ll get definitive word at MWC.
Talk about this latest rumor in our Windows Mobile 7 Forums.
I heard that HTC HD2 is the unique hardware upgradable to WM 7. Is that true?