Famed WP7 hacker Chris Walsh just posted this guide which shows you how to get past your carrier and get the NoDo update straight away — with a couple of caveats: it’s for HTC phones only, and you need to be dev-unlocked. Essentially it’s a way of bypassing the carrier check that your phone runs before allowing the update to go through. Here’s how you do it:
- Download this zip file and deploy the 3 xap files onto your device.
- Run the ChevronWP7.Ringtones.xap and wait till it displays “Ringtones added… and CustClear.provxml underneath”
- Run the TouchXplorer app, navigate to My DocumentsMy Ringtones click on CustClear.provxml and select Copy from the Application Bar.
- Navigate back inside TouchXplorer to the Windows folder.
- Select paste from the Application Bar, this should scroll right to the bottom and put a copy of CustClear.provxml in the Windows folder.
- Now run the Connection Setup application and click on the Ok button (it’s the one with the tick).
And now you’re done and free to re-connect to Zune and check for updates.
As always, any sort of tweaking like this is done at your own risk.
Update: Apparently the update is only in Europe right now, but keep your fingers crossed that it heads out widely soon.