ZunePod?? and a couple other things

Discussion in 'Windows Phone 7' started by Dwood, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Dwood

Dwood New Member

I'm a newbie to the Windows 7 phone. I have a question about whether it has the capability to ouput music through it's usb port similar to the iphone? I have an fm modulator that accepts an incoming usb connection but I don't know if the phone is capable of doing that?
    I'm also curious to know about customization options... like the live tiles for pictures... can the pictures it displays be chosen specifically or just a random selection by the software?
    I spent so much time searching for answers to the above 2 questions that I forgot the rest, but I will probably be back about them.
    Thank you thank you in advance.
  2. RandomAlec

RandomAlec Member

The following answers are answered with the best of my knowledge, and anyone else is free to correct me if I'm wrong.

1. I don't believe any WP7 phones have USB ouput support right now, I'm sure HTC will be the first to implement it though. I definitely know my Samsung Focus doesn't do anything but charge through it's USB cable.

2. To customize your Pictures live tile, enter the application then hold your finger on the background. You should receive a pop-up box giving you two options on how you want your background to work. Your background is the same image that will display on your Pictures live tile.
  3. BitPusher2600

BitPusher2600 Member

I still carry my idevice just because of that. Proprietary device with proprietary software; I suppose that's one of the luxuries of such a set up. I guess that depends on rather or not that's truly software or hardware controlled perhaps? I wish we did have that option. Has anyone got a USB port on their head unit and tried plugging in directly? Does Zune work that way?
  4. SnailUK

SnailUK Member

Accessories is the one area the iPhone will always have its competition beaten. Even after a year+ of Android, and its iPhone matching sales, there just isn't compatibility for this stuff.

Im hoping someone comes up with an industry standard for mobiles/media players to communicate a common way for music output over USB. Maybe DLNA over USB?

I certainly hate the fact i cant plug my WP7 into docks or my car stereos, all of which played nice with my iPhone.
  5. RandomAlec

RandomAlec Member

Tried that as well already, both with my Zune HD and Samsung Focus. I have a BMW with "iPod/USB Adapter" and it only works with what it states, and iPod. If you have anything else you will use the USB just to charge and a separate auxiliary connection to send your sound. It sucks big time.
  6. RobR

RobR Member

Apple will always have the edge on all other devices for accessories because they control the hardware and software for their platform, therefore it's easy for them to standardize it.