your recommendations for my listening enjoyment?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by jan001, Apr 30, 2008.

1. jan001

jan001 New Member

your recommendations for my listening enjoyment?

I'd like to know what you guys recommend on two different aspects of using the Q9c's music player capability.

1. I bought a set of stereo earbuds with in-line volume control. They work but even with their volume all the way up and the phone's sound all the way up, it's still not as loud as I think it should be. I'm not a headbanger, but these headphones actually reduce the volume, even set to full, compared with what the phone can do through its speakers. So, for earbuds, what do you recommend? I have a Bluetooth earpiece (which I haven't used so far) but of course can't get stereo from that, so what I'm looking for is a set of earbuds that will give me some volume.

2. What radio station players do you recommend? I looked at Mundu and Resco but nether one seemed to have any stations playing the kind of stuff I like. What would be GREAT would be something that includes a good library of old (like me) rock and roll. On my PCs and laptop, I listen to WRLL's stream out of Chicago a lot but their online player won't work on the phone.

Thanks for your input on either or both of these! :)
  2. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

look in the hack section for volume(base gain) hack.

have had several streaming threads regarding good sites..lost the bookarks several master resets ago

also install TCPMP it will double the number of streaming sites
  3. KestrylR

KestrylR New Member

Live365 has a mobile version now. I just found & loaded it a couple of days ago. And if you can't find any music that you like on Live365, then you probably just don't like music... :wink:
  4. 1oddmanout

1oddmanout Member

I've found the web addresses for a few of my favorites (SkyFM World; DainBramage) and just play them directly from PIE, but this live365 is a GREAT find.
  5. jan001

jan001 New Member

1oddmanout, which browser are you using on your Q9c? Live365 wouldn't display on mine with IE Mobile.

Here's a synopsis of what I've tried and what I got back. (Unfortunately, I can't visit on the PC to get an idea of how the pages navigate because I'm at work and they've got streaming sites blocked.)

I selected a station based on the results of my oldies rock and roll search, but got an error that said the page had too many frames to display and that IE Mobile can only display up to 10 frames per page. I had the option (left soft key) to "Expand Frame" so I clicked that, hoping that it would expand one that would let me listen, but all I got was partial content in some frames and red Xs in others - nothing I could use.

Then I went to the station's page itself, instead of trying to play the station from the search results. I had the same "too many frames" error but was able to navigate among the partial frames that were displayed. Unfortunately, all I got when I clicked on anything was a white screen. The status bar indicates I'm still on the site but there's zero content displayed (or played) and no scroll bar to indicate anything might be there.

If you're using Opera or some other browser, maybe it works better for that site on the phone...? If you're using the IE that came with the phone, what's your secret? :gasp:

So then I tried SkyFM. It went to the page fine, and gave me a "Wireless" option, which I clicked. And whaddayaknow, it takes me to a page to download a beta of Live365 for Windows Mobile...argh! Would I just be downloading something that will utilize the same pages I was unable to use when I went straight to Live365 a minute ago? I haven't even been able to tell what kind of music SkyFM plays, so am not sure I want to put a beta app on the phone, since it (1) may not even work if it uses Live365 and (2) may not have the music I want and (3) may not uninstall clean if I don't like it (since it's beta).

Any guidance from those in the know on either one is greatly appreciated! :)
  6. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

You can import all the stations you want into Resco. You just need the PLS file for each stream. Copy that over to your Q, then use the Import function in Resco to add it to your list of stations.

See here for more detailed instructions:

http://resco.net/smartphone/radio/faq.asp#03

7. jan001

jan001 New Member

Thanks, Rainmaker - I may just give that a try.

I was coming to update my post about SkyFM. I spent a few minutes poking around online and found where someone had posted a direct link to launch SkyFM by genre, without downloading a beta or anything else (www.sky.fm/mobile/?type=wma for anyone who might need it).

I selected the Oldies genre and am enjoying it so far. It opened the phone's WMP and automatically made the connection. It had some buffering issues at first, but has played 4 songs so far flawlessly at about 42K.

If the buffering holds up, once I've gotten my oldies fix, I'll go exploring in the other genres. :)

(I also have learned that the earbuds I bought yesterday and was complaining about not being loud enough, in the first post in this thread, are actually doing a pretty decent job with SkyFM. Yesterday I was trying to listen to tracks on my card but they're 3rd-generation -- they were originally burned to a PC, then to the other phone's card, and from there to the Q9c's card. They played great on the old phone but it may be the the problem was with those tracks, not the phone or the earbuds. Lordy, I don't want to have to re-burn all that stuff. I'll think about that some other time.
  8. 1oddmanout

1oddmanout Member

9. mountainwampus

mountainwampus Member

Soma FM is best

Check out Somafm.com
    they have about 10 different stations
    I like "secret agent", "groove salad" and "indie pop rocks"
    I listen with core player but WM player probably works too
  10. mountainwampus

mountainwampus Member

Shoutcast is best!!

Duh!
    Nevermind somafm.
    Go straight to shoutcast.com
    great search engineplenty of rock and roll stations!
    ween radio!
    Alex Jones show!

PS you will need a player that can open .pls files
  11. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

Resco wil let you import the .pls files and add them to your station list.
  12. KestrylR

KestrylR New Member

13. 1oddmanout

1oddmanout Member

I tried this again: still a 15 day trial, still $5.95/month for service for mobile applications.
  14. KestrylR

KestrylR New Member

Ah! Sorry 'bout that. I probably didn't notice that part 'cause it didn't apply to me. Sorry. :foot:

If you can afford it, a VIP account really is worth it, though.
  15. kwajrnc

kwajrnc New Member

try www.thestreamcenter.com if that link is broke just google it it list most of the stations in us and canada all free tells you the bitrate and codec all will load in tcpmp or wmp but tcpmp wouldn't play wmp codec I have the right plugins I think
  16. magicman08

magicman08 New Member

resco radio is a great program, i never use it, but i got it.....i guess i don't have much time to listen to the radio and I get to do pretty much whatever i want to at work