You Tell Me... Do I really need a Moto Q?

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by syn0s, May 22, 2007.

1. syn0s

syn0s New Member

You Tell Me... Do I really need a Moto Q?

OK, so I've activated the Motorola Q with a new Sprint line of service on the SERO plan. I've been playing around with it for about a week now, and I'm wondering if I even need or want the features that the Q has to offer?

1. I am rarely if ever NOT around a computer with high speed internet. The internet on this thing is a cool feature, but one that I will rarely if EVER see myself using.

2. I don't travel very much at all, so the mobility factor is kinda depleted there. Besides, the few places I do travel my 14" notebook comes along with me anyways, allowing me WI-FI internet access as well. I also couldn't imagine someone using the internet for hours at a time on such a small screen?

3. The full size QWERTY keyboard: It's cool and all, since I come from an IT background and I type extremely quickly on a PC. I've tried EVERYTHING in my power to speed it up though, but I still get missing letters in almost every text message I send (others have this issue too). My wife can also text message on her Fusic with a regular Keypad almost as fast as I can on the Q, especially with T9 and text prediction turned on. I think the full size keyboard is cool and all, but I can text just as well with a normal keypad.

4. The "Coolness" Factor: Yes the coolness factor is there, being a PDA Smartphone and all. It is sleek, looks good and functions as it should. The Windows Mobile 5.0 OS is kinda sluggish, and even with all the aesthetic perks I believe that functionality reigns supreme over form. Plus, it's more expensive than standard phones (I'm looking at the LG Fusic and Samsung M500).

5. Most of the features of this phone will go un-used by me. I will probably never use appointments, calender or internet features. I wont ever send E-Mails from it or sync it with Outlook or Exchange. The only thing I will probably do with it is:

- load custom ringtones from my PC,
    - load a few tv episodes or movie / comedy video clips,
    - text messaging (once again, cool with the keyboard),
    - take and send a few pictures and videos with the built in camera
    - obviously TALK on it using the phone

So that being said, YOU GUYS tell ME: Do I need a Motorola Q????
  2. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

to me... it sounds like you can do with a "simpler" device. but hey, who am i :}
  3. lopez096

lopez096 New Member

Sounds like you already made up your mind...I use the internet on the phone most when a laptop is not readily (or easily) accessible, use TCPMP to watch movie/video when I travel and don't want (need) to carry a laptop. There are definite pluses to the Q, but if you wont use them as much (or at all) then I guess you could get another one...but don't....it's not cool...:wink:
  4. Xian

Xian New Member

sounds like you'd be paying a lot (remember, you'd have to add services to your cell phone account) for things you wouldn't even be using. might as well go with a LG enV or a Kyocera Strobe or something ... something with a QWERTY keyboard but without the PDA functionality.
  5. syn0s

syn0s New Member

I have kind of already made up my mind, and I could definitely get by witha simpler device. I mean, don't get me wrong, the Q is VERY cool and is definitely useful. But like I said, the only things I use on it are text messaging, listening to music / watching videos and talking on the phone. I rarely if ever travel, and even if I did I don't think I'd want to watch a movie on that small of a screen. I'm rarely if ever far from high speed wi-fi and my laptop, so the internet will go unused as well.

I'm still unsure though. I really do like the full keyboard and the coolness factor of it :2cool:

any other ideas/opinions?

syn0s
  6. rawdog805

rawdog805 New Member

Keep it... If your on Sero you might as well have all the features, since the SERO plan gives you unlimited everything.... except for Anytime minutes...
  7. syn0s

syn0s New Member

Then again, the SERO plan is the best deal in cell phones around, and just because it comes with everything (data, text, picture mail, etc) doesn't mean I HAVE to use it all, right? Even if I was off of the SERO plan and on a regular Sprint PCS Plan with my 25% company discount in place it would still be a little higher, and I wouldn't even get all the features of the SERO plan.

Anyone else got any ideas?

syn0s