Yet Another GPS Question

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by Sheri, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Sheri

Sheri New Member

Yet Another GPS Question

The reason that we can't use programs like Telenav, is it because something is missing in the Q's hardware or software?
  2. Stealth

Stealth New Member

Not sure, I am guessing software but some of the phones that are compatiable run WM5.
  3. PsycoBob

PsycoBob New Member

From what I can tell, the Q and some other phones use 'Assisted GPS' or aGPS. Normally a GPS receiver can process all the satellites' signals to get a position fix. aGPS uses a central server to do some of the work (run by your wireless provider). I'm not sure if this is a hardware limitation imposed by size/battery/etc issues, or what. It could also be a software limitation, either just to trim a few hundred kb off the firmware, or an instance of Verizon/Sprint/etc required crippling.

For the conspiracy theorists, it's a great excuse to charge extra for 'Turn by Turn' directions only available from your wireless provider. Of course, nationwide maps with recordings of odd street names runs several gigabytes, and needs updating frequently- a much easier task on a central server.

I think another possible reason aGPS is used over standalone GPS is simple speed. When you turn on a GPS receiver, it can take up to 15 minutes to receive almanac data to accurately locate itself. It may be possible to keep this on a central server, and take raw signals to get a lock in just a few seconds. If I'm right, that is a huge advantage for GPS-enabled 911 systems.

If Google Earth ever releases a version for the Q, I'll be thrilled. :smile:
  4. VTDr0p0ut

VTDr0p0ut New Member

They have GoogleMaps (which, granted, is no full-powered google earth, but it's the best free Maps program since Maps4PDA stopped working).

Also, many cellphones with aGPS use TeleNav/VZNavigator -- the RAZR is the first one that comes to my mind as I've heard around the board it uses the same hardware module for this function as the Q does. My understanding (on the Verizon side since I'm a VZW old-schooler) is that VZNavigator is a BREW application and that was the primary limitation on the Q (no BREW support). However, my understanding is that it will be coming in the not-so-distant future to a Windows Mobile handheld near you.
  5. Stealth

Stealth New Member

This is all good info however:

1) There is Googlemaps for the Q - It is not earth but its really good. It has great Satelite Images.
    2) You can get turn by turn directions without going through the carriers. See mapopolis and a few other programs. Will require an external GPS receiver
    3) If you look at Telenav's page some compatiable phones say they have GPS built in (I assume aGPS) others say they need a receiver. The Q would need a receiver, even though I think it has the ability to do aGPS.
    4) 15 mins.... what GPS receiver do you use? At most mine has never taken more than 2 mins. and in most case it is less than one.
    5) I use mine with GoogleMaps, it works great. No turn by turn but it does the trick.