yet another gmail issue

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by b8b, Jun 11, 2007.

1. b8b

b8b New Member

yet another gmail issue

I've followed the FAQ on setting up gmail with messaging precisely, have even had it working in the past, but decided I didn't like the way it worked and wanted to use the web interface for gmail instead. Well, for some strange reason whenever I edit the body of the message fields in the web interface (mobile AND HTML) to gmail and I click send, it says "Opening..." but never does. I don't think anyone will be able to fix it that, so I would like to setup my messaging with Gmail again.

So when I tried setting up my gmail with messaging again, it gives me the message that it can't validate or check my connection. I've tried deleting the account and re-adding it 4 times, just in case (a suggestion that worked elsewhere in the forums). No go. I then disabled and re-enabled pop in gmail, still no go. I've tried the username with and without the "@gmail.com" - I don't know what else to try... help? :)
  2. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

did you try to set it up as described in this thread, the "recent:" in front of your e-mail address is essential.

hope this helps.
  3. _RT_

_RT_ New Member

It was funny. My gmail worked great up until a week ago. Then stopped.

Added the "recent:" before my address and it started working again.

wonder what changed.
  4. FourTwenSesh

FourTwenSesh Active Member

5. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

glad to hear you got it fixed..
  6. b8b

b8b New Member

Thanks for trying, rudeboy... it didnn't help. Very strange. I have looked at it over and over so many times, even re-created it a fifth time. I enter my password sloooowly and watch each character. I'm stumped. And bummed. I wish Gmail did IMAP. I do like how it saves the sent messages in gmail though.
  7. b8b

b8b New Member

So I kill the processes and it worked! But I instantly remembered why it sux: it's downloading the last 1560 messages, even though in Gmail I disabled then re-enabled POP so it should only download truly recent messages and I also told it to download today's messages.... it did this before, exact number too! 1560 is WAY too many to download on 1x. Help?!:gasp:
  8. FourTwenSesh

Its not going to download them all, just let your Q run its course.....
  9. b8b

b8b New Member

OK, I will... I'll let you know if it stops... any way to mark them all read rather than slecting them one at a time?
  10. FourTwenSesh

It won't download them all, trust me. It is just checking through them to see which ones are recent or not.
  11. b8b

b8b New Member

Yeah, it doesn't download them all, but it goes through them all every time I hit send/recieve... that takes forever on 1x. really sux.
  12. FourTwenSesh

13. b8b

b8b New Member

I am a professional IT guy but I keep everything in my inbox, I do no archive it or anything... I apply labels and mark them read, that is all... I have 10k+ emails in my inbox, all but a few are marked read. So I don't want to delete any emails. All I want to do is be able to send and recieve gmail from my Q. The web interface will no longer send when I enter text (in both html and mobile modes). I wanted to just be able to reply to messages from POP, but if it has to cycle through everything, that might be shot as well. Gmail should do IMAP. I wonder why they don't. This stinks. I have no solution. I am thinking about forwarding everything to my sprint email account so then at least I'd have IMAP, but I much prefer the gmail interface. I dunno what to do, I am at a loss. This Q isn't proving very useful as compared to my 6700, brick though it was.
  14. Smoothieking

Smoothieking New Member

You may want to run the GMAIL app instead

Sounds like you want the GMAIL app to run on your phone instead. The JVM is really easy to install and can be found for free on the IBM website. You do need to create a log in, but it is free. I just got it to work on my phone and all 5k of my emails downloaded in seconds.

Here is a link to the thread
    http://www.qusers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1220&highlight=java

You will need to download the GMAIL.JAD from here
    http://gmail.com/app/v1.0.0/en/gm-Generic-Advanced_MIDP2.jad

Once you get the IBM JVM emulator.exe file on your phone copy the gmail Jad over as well and run it in the emulator. It works like a charm.
  15. acalvarez

acalvarez New Member

Sorry to hijack this but I jumped in on this and after what I considered a pretty difficult install I have the app running.

I tried to compose mail to run some tests but it wouldn't allow me to type in an email address. My contacts only came up and I couldn't edit the field.

Any ideas?
  16. FourTwenSesh

Why don't you just set up gmail as IMAP on your Q?
  17. b8b

b8b New Member

Gmail doesn't offer IMAP :(

I thought about it, but so many folks had difficulty in the forums (battery life, bugs, not able to run, etc.)... but I will try it out and see, on your recommendation. Thanks, SK!
  18. b8b

b8b New Member

19. Smoothieking

Smoothieking New Member

20. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member