Yes, I know, this has already been discussed...

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by Max Headroom, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Max Headroom

Max Headroom New Member

Yes, I know, this has already been discussed...

But after searching through the forums, I find all kinds of info for this topic,
    and lot of it seems to be conflicting.

Does the 9C have true - non assited - built in GPS capabilites?
    i.e.: Does not require cellular system for gps fix.

I am looking at getting a smartphone and this would be one of the deciding factors.
  2. mountainwampus

mountainwampus Member

I use Google Maps and Live Search for GPS on my q9c. When outside of cell service, they both fail to initialize. You might find software out there that gives you offline capabilities, but none of the free ones do.
  3. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

In theory you could get a fix without cell signal, you would have no map though.
    Assisted GPS is still "true" GPS (i.e. it does have a satellite receiver) The assistance servers just make the phone's job easier.
  4. cptpike

cptpike New Member

5. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

yeah, there's tons of different info floating around out there...
  6. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

I thought you can get a "you are here" dot even without cell signal, but with the current free stuff..ie windows live & google you would need cell signal to download the map
  7. Vazguard

Vazguard Active Member

I can use WLS without any signal if it loads all the course details before it is lost. I've finished trips where I lose service at some point before reaching the destination, and all that changes is that WLS doesn't load the map image. The path and step points still work, and it tracks your location through the TRUE GPS signal from the GPS antenna
  8. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

the fact that the article indicates a way to configure the Q9C to get the cell tower servers to assist the GPS is proving that it is an aGPS. isnt it?
  9. cptpike

cptpike New Member

It definitely proves that it has aGPS but, not that it uses it. That of course is if the article is correct.
  10. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

but why would you not want to use it? this article is implying aGPS works without assistance servers and works even better with it.
  11. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

It may be that sprint has set something up where it only uses the assistance servers (sans hack of course) if you subscribe to telenav.
    *this is all speculation on my part*
  12. Max Headroom

Max Headroom New Member

It's not that I don't want AGPS, I just want to confirm that I don't need it for a GPS fix. I am in emergency services, and GPS coords are needed sometimes for a medical lifeflight helo landing site. If I don't have access to the maps all of the time, that's ok, just the coords when they are needed.

Thanks for all the info.
  13. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

guess you need to consider switching to at&t q9h global.
  14. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

ahh, but the Q9h still needs data for the maps (and takes longer to get a location fix than the Q9c)
    although, If you are looking to use Latitude and Longitude as a backup. you may be better off having a standalone GPS as most GPS apps that come with maps tend to cost about as much as a basic GPS unit.
  15. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

yep, the emergency will be over by the time the q9h acquires the satellites. certainly not something to depend a life on. forget i mentioned it.
  16. sitlet

sitlet New Member

gpsVP should work without a signal. it allows you to download maps to your card to use. ive never been able to get it to work though; the program is very complicated to set up.