Yahoo Mail wanting to load ALL my mail...????

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by cliffling, May 25, 2007.

1. cliffling

cliffling New Member

Yahoo Mail wanting to load ALL my mail...????

I upgraded to the pay Yahoo account to make things run nice and smooth between my new Q and my Yahoo email. It seems to link up nicely (once I figured out that Yahoo is a Pop mail service as opposed to the Imap that the stupid phone thinks it is...),

BUT

even though I've told it in the options to only download todays mail, it keeps trying to download all 5000 messages in my Yahoo mailbox.

Any fixes to this?
  2. FourTwenSesh

FourTwenSesh Active Member

It still sounds like its set to IMAP somehow. Does it remove the messages from Gmail's server when they start coming into your Q?
  3. cliffling

cliffling New Member

What exactly do you mean by "does it remove the messages from gmails server"?

My Yahoo account on the net is running perfectly normal. It's only on the phone that there are any issues.
  4. FourTwenSesh

Sorry, I meant yahoo mail, my bad.....one of the worst days of the year for me......:embarassed:

Ok, i'll explain it differently then. There might be an option (i can't confirm since i don't use yahoo mail) to "leave a copy of message on server" option on your PC. Select this and your problem of downloading all your mail to your phone should be fixed.

I hope it helps
  5. BobDallas

BobDallas New Member

After Yahoo told me they don't support IMAP, I found that when I set Yahoo up as a POP3 account, it still had an IMAP address in one of the later screens as a server. I had to go to Yahoo Mobile, I have some semblance of email with that, I downloaded that 1.0 program since 2.0 isn't ready yet. But setting yahoo up thru the phone screens is just impossible.
  6. kellybrf

kellybrf New Member

i rolled through the autoconfig and it works fine for me with the basic yahoo service (recognized as imap on the q.) the only thing i had to change is to check 'outgoing server requires authentication.' mine is set to d/l the previous three days messages and it does just that
  7. chi

chi New Member

it isn't downloading all your messages. i noticed the same and figured it out. what it's doing is scanning thru all your messages (8000 in my case) and only downloading the ones time stamped for current day, last 3 days or whatever you specified. pretty crazy.

solution: move your old mail (yes all 5000) to folders under "My Folders" that you setup within Yahoo! Mail Plus. that way, your Q doesn't have to go thru so much mail just to download the more recent stuff.
  8. flipper9

flipper9 New Member

You would be better off using Yahoo Go! (Version 1, not the Version 2 that will be coming out soon). It automatically syncs Yahoo Email (better than IMAP or POP3, it uses some other kind of connection to get the email to and from your Q) with your MotoQ, your Yahoo Contacts, Yahoo Calendar, Yahoo Tasks, and Yahoo Photos.

You can get it from: http://alpha.go.connect.yahoo.com/go/mobile

Using Yahoo Go! (free) has made it a pleasure to use my Q with all of the online Yahoo stuff. For example, when an item is marked as read on my Q it is marked as read online at Yahoo. Also vice versa: if I mark it as read in my web browser, it's marked as read on my Q. It's really a killer application for the Q, and best of all it's FREE!
  9. FourTwenSesh

So cliff, This is not going to download all your messages, only the ones that are from today, for example, it just scans through all the messages to check which ones are recent or not. Hope that helps.
  10. cliffling

cliffling New Member

OK. Makes sense now. I went ahead and let it sit there saying "downloading 1 of 5001" and it finishes up, not getting all 5000 messages.

Thanks for the help. It seems to be working now pretty well. I think I'm going to try out the yahoo program and see how that works, as was suggested a post up by flipper.

I'll report back on how that works.
  11. FourTwenSesh

Awesome, sorry if my earlier posts confused you, glad to hear it is working.