Yahoo IMAP

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by rudeboy, Sep 12, 2007.

1. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

Yahoo IMAP

i wonder... if i could set it up to get the IMAP mail on my Q while i also fetch it using my computer, never could get that damn Yahoo Go to work, plus 2 reps from Yahoo said nope, won't work..

i might try this later....
  2. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

i tried... no luck, i mean it shows connecting and all that good stuff but no mail comes in, it sure would be nice if it worked.

nobody any input ? it's the mail i (read my boss) is paying for on Yahoo.. i wouldn't mind receiving it on the Q and on my pc.
  3. DrQ

DrQ New Member

I use AOL IMAP4 and works fine. I set up an account through Pocket outlook. It found the setting automatically and does delete the mail just moves it to the read folder leaving it on the server.

I've now upgraded to Profimail and it handles IMAP great except no home screen plugin.
  4. regression

regression New Member

I setup Yahoo Mail via IMAP on my Q. I did as the previous user did, let Pocket Outlook setup it up automatically. I can download messages but cannot send from the account. I played with the outgoing server settings for a while, but never got it to work, so gave up....
  5. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

tried automatically finding the settings to no avail, and my issue is that when i login to Yahoo in case i want to read my email there that i have to manually select the email address for some reason and Yahoo does close to nothing to help me..
  6. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

i am guessing you also are able to read your mail with Yahoo Go.. i could not. it is so damn idiotic that it's almost impossible to explain what is going on. i might try to explain it later with screenshots.
  7. DrQ

DrQ New Member

Somebody on here that has gotten it to work (including sending) should be able to give you the settings that work from their Account Setup pages. I referred to them when I switched mine to Profimail.
  8. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

any idea who ?!
  9. DrQ

DrQ New Member

No, I just made the comment hoping someone would read it and help you out.
  10. regression

regression New Member

11. DrQ

DrQ New Member

12. TarHeelsRule!

TarHeelsRule! New Member

Okay, Rudeboy, don't know if this helps you since I have the generic free account from Yahoo. I had deleted my email account with Yahoo off my Q when I took off the worthless (my opinion) Yahoo to Go. But after reading your question, I figured I would put it back on to see if works.
    I was able to add it as a new account to my Q. And I sent a email from my hotmail account to my yahoo account. It went through and I sent it back from the Yahoo account to the hotmail one. And eureka! It worked both ways! All the sending was sent from the Q.
    Again, I don't know if that helped since you have a different kinda Yahoo account than the generic free one but I was able to send and receive email on my Q.
  13. regression

regression New Member

Can you post the server settings for your Yahoo account on your Q? I would like to compare with mine....
  14. TarHeelsRule!

TarHeelsRule! New Member

Server type: IMAP4
    Account name: Yahoo IMAP
    Incoming Server: imap.mail.yahoo.com
    left Require SSL connection unchecked
    Outgoing Server: smtp.mobile.mail.yahoo.com
    System automatically checked Outgoing server requires authentication
    Are your settings the same. I let the Q do all the setting up, I just clicked next at the appropriate times.
  15. regression

regression New Member

The difference in my was I didn't have Outgoing server requires authentication checked. I went into options, checked it, and it still didn't work. I then deleted my account completely and recreated, leaving everything Pocket Outlook setup. Now, when I try and check my mail, I am prompted for a password, then it goes back to connecting, then I get prompted for a password again. I get into a loop asking for it.

So I'm not sure what is going on with it now.

One question, is your user name your email address, or just the part before the @?
  16. TarHeelsRule!

TarHeelsRule! New Member

Your name: is my actual name (of course)
    email address: XXXXXX@yahoo.com
    user name: the name I use to get on the actual yahoo website (without the @yahoo.com)
    password: xxxxxxx
    page down and check the save password box
    When i first had my yahoo email account on my Q, it was constantly asking me for my password too. That's one of the reasons I didn't put it back on when after I deleted Yahoo to Go. Haven't ran into that problem yet so we'll see how long I keep it on there now.
  17. regression

regression New Member

OK. Well, I had it setup before and I could only receive messages, not send them. Since I cannot do either now, I will just wait and try tomorrow. Based on what I am seeing now, and what other people have wrote about the subject, it looks like Yahoo IMAP is very inconsistent to say the least. I will keep their mobile version of Yahoo Mail bookmarked in PIE ;-)
  18. regression

regression New Member

I tried it again this morning. I didn't change any settings or re-setup the account, I just opened it and executed a Send / Receive. Now I can send and send messages from Yahoo using IMAP.

I'll see how long this lasts. Thanks for your help.
  19. TarHeelsRule!

TarHeelsRule! New Member

Well, I'm glad it seems to be working! Maybe you just needed to do a soft reset for it kick in (for lack of better technical terms).
  20. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

yea, mine is paid for and i use different servers... but thanks a lot for the try to help, we appreciate that for sure.

guess i'm helpless :}