Yahoo GO for the Q?

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by moto_ftth, Sep 20, 2006.

1. moto_ftth

moto_ftth New Member

Yahoo GO for the Q?

Hi everyone!
    I'm considering getting the Q and this is my first post on the forum.

My primary reason for wanting the Q is to combine the minimum PDA functionality that I do use on my Dell Axim (Calendar + Address Book) with my phone. Q seems to fit the bill because it doesn't have the extras of full-PDA phones but does the basics and the price is right. My only major concern is the pricing of VZWs data service. I see myself as a very occasional user of email/web on this phone so the idea of shelling out $40 a month for data service sounds crazy to me.

I was looking at the Yahoo GO service and it looked like it would accomplish what I need in terms of synching my contacts and appointments to one place and not using huge amounts of data to do so. Has anyone actually used this service? Is it any good? What's the typical data usage for it? I'm hoping to be able to get away with the $24 10MB plan - will I blow through that limit?

Thanks!
  2. loders

loders New Member

I've got it but you will have to ensure that all of the connections are manual and if you start a connection you must remember to end it. 10MB per month is really easy to reach. I have Gmail, Outlook and Yahoo Go! I have Gmail set for once a day and Outlook once a day and Yahoo connect as needed and I went over 10MB in a few days. My emails are limited to 5KB and I only download text and attachments like pictures I download on my computer and not to my Q. I have a slingbox that I sometimes watch on my Q and maybe just to watch an inning or two of baseball (~60KB/min) when I can't use my laptop and I've already accumulated more than 200MB on my current billing cycle. You can always downgrade if your usage averages under 10MB but you'll be paying more than $16 in overages if you start with the $24 plan first and have underestimated your usage.
  3. scoutnex

scoutnex New Member

yeah i'd definatly recommend starting with a higher package. to see what u average. then drop it down. I have my Q with telus mobility in canada. i got the package that started with 3 months unlimited. good way to figure out exactly which contract you want.
  4. moto_ftth

moto_ftth New Member

Thanks for the responses!
    I guess I will have to try the unlimited package at first to see how that works out. I just hate the fact that it's so expensive. :(
  5. scoutnex

scoutnex New Member

you dont have to try unlimited. but i would definatly not go with the lowest package to start.
  6. moto_ftth

moto_ftth New Member

Well, problem is VZW only offers unlimited or 10MB packages. I wouldn't even dream of going with pay-per-kb setup.