Yahoo email

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by amostin, Sep 1, 2007.

1. amostin

amostin New Member

Yahoo email

Hi all. I posted a couple things but I think someone may have deleted them. Anyway I am running into some weird stuff with my yahoo email (imap). There is no icon that pops up that tells me there is a new email and my inbox messages just seem to go away after a while. they dont stay in my inbox. also when i send an email nothing shows in my sent folder. any help? thanx
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

i did because you posted the same question in 4 different forums/threads
    you only need post once...

and your problem is most likely due to the homescreen you are using...
    if you xml file for the homescreen isnt set up to look at your unread email and only looking for active sync emails then it will not show up
  3. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

curious; is it possible to use the unread email notification/counter if it is IMAP mail ?
  4. n99hockey

that is a good question
    other people have it and havent said anything to the contrary (i think)
  5. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

very interesting.. not that i am looking for something like that but it just sounds odd that the Q would see new mail if not connected to the mail provider's web site...
  6. n99hockey

if its coming in to an inbox on the device it should show up...no?
  7. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

yes absolutely, but that is not considered IMAP (web based) email if it is send to a device..
  8. n99hockey

ah yes i see...
    my bad i thought he was getting it to come to the inbox on the Q
  9. amostin

amostin New Member

I dont know?

Thanks guys. appreciate the help. I got the icon to pop up but my isues with the mail in general are still there. My mesages delete themselves out of my inbox. Is this normal? Also when I send email nothing shows up in my sent folder even though I know it sends. Weird huh?
  10. jmorisey

jmorisey New Member

This is by design I think... IF the following, bare with me and I will explain...

I have YAHOO! IMAP setup on my Q to get my mail. If my mail is downloaded from YAHOO onto my Q, and then I check YAHOO on a home computer and MOVE or DELETE that mail, next time I sync (or the Q syncs if you have it set to automatically sync) with YAHOO, it will delete whatever you deleted on the home computer. Vise-versa as well, if you delete it from the Q, and then sync and check from home, it will be gone at home.

As far as the SENT items, that is a common issue with the Q.

Does this help?
  11. TheBigCheese

TheBigCheese New Member

I'm wondering how to even get ANY mail from Yahoo using IMAP. All I ever get is prompted for my password. I tried this is two Yahoo accounts, one Premium and one regular.

Is there any secret I am missing?
  12. jmorisey

jmorisey New Member

what servers are you using?

DOMAIN should be left blank
    SERVER TYPE should be IMAP4
    NETWORK should be INTERNET
    INCOMING SERVER should be imap.mail.yahoo.com
    DO NOT check Require SSL connection
    Outgoing server should be smtp.mail.yahoo.com
    DO NOT check Outgoing server requires authentication
    Under OUTGOING SERVER SETTINGS, everything should be blank

Also, If you have a premium account, you should be able to use that as a POP account, not IMAP.

Please let me know if this helps.
  13. TheBigCheese

TheBigCheese New Member

Those are my settings. I thought I would be better off with IMAP because I could have access to folders.

What should my user name be? xxxxxxx or xxxxxx@yahoo.com ???
  14. amostin

amostin New Member

Your user name is should be xxx@yahoo.com - your settings seem to be right
  15. TheBigCheese

TheBigCheese New Member

Darn, it still does not work! Maybe they are blocking Sprint?
  16. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

so just for me (& Scott)... does Yahoo IMAP have the ability to notify you of new mail without actually connecting ? i am just interested.
  17. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

*update*

i was using the bizmail servers, but bloody heck that did pick up my mail (the premium).. i now receive the mail on both, pc & Q...

o... a BIG thanks !!!

today you are my hero.
  18. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

*update*

ps. for those following this thread.. i switched the smtp server to the bizmail one, the other one would not allow me to sent mail.

all set now... (small annoyance is that the mail comes in marked "read" so i don't get the new mail notification)
  19. Damionix

Damionix New Member

Ok People please get this right...... I just figured out what the problem is. I am a French user so my yahoo account ends with yahoo.fr. I have been having the same problem till I figured out what the problem was. YOU WILL HAVE TO CHANGE THE SETTINGS ON YOUR YAHOO MAIL ACCOUNT....so as to enable the POP3 type setting to access your mails. And push it too. Go to your yahoo mail, log in, go to setting and go to POP3 settings and check it, the follow the settings that jmorisey stated above, and you are good to go. I just tested and it works fine. Did check and pushed my mails.
    Let me know if this helps
  20. regression

regression New Member

POP3 isn't free with Yahoo, at least using yahoo.com. IMAP (when it works) is free.