Yahoo 2.0 for Q

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by tpipher1, Jun 20, 2007.

1. flipper9

flipper9 New Member

It's more than just a simple delay, it's been delayed since April, then May, then June, then last Friday, now it's Monday and it's almost July. Every phone except a couple is marked as "Coming Soon". This is a classic case of vaporware, where something is promised, continuously delayed, and then sits dormant forever in its current unreleased state or is canceled.

Sprint Phones: 16 phones promised, 1 phone actually released: Blackberry.
    Alltell: 6 phones promised, 1 phone released: Blackberry
    Cingular: 20 phones promised, 4 released.
    T-Mobile: 11 promised, 4 released.
    Verizon: 7 promised, 1 released.

So, in total they toute (even try to sell you new phones) that Yahoo Go! 2.0 works on 60 phones, yet only 11 are actually supported. It's comical to look at their supported list as almost everything is marked "Coming Soon!", as if "Soon" meant in the next several months, longer, or never.

It wouldn't be so bad, we have Yahoo Go! 1.0 to fall back on, right? Wrong...that has been withdrawn from service, the email no longer syncs, and you can't get an official install anymore. The Yahoo Go! service is dead as of right now until 2.0 comes out, and something is keeping it from being released: internal politics, project cancellation, major bugs.
  2. Marvelous Merv

Marvelous Merv New Member

I keep getting exciting email announcements of its release in my Yahoo inbox, then continue to go to the site and find that my device is "Not Supported".

It must have been a fun staff meeting in marketing when the "Team Leader" announced that they needed to create "buzz" about delivering push email to Blackberry devices - the script writers for The Office couldn't have written a funnier scene...
  3. tpipher1

tpipher1 New Member

What saddens me is that this is becoming the "NEW" Yahoo. They announced the new Vista only messenger in January, the web based yahoo "NEW" email service is still in beta after almost a year (still is slow and sucks! BTW) and as we have now stated clearly it is laughable at the state of Yahoo 2.0. Yahoo has never been a big vaporware corporation and I have always loved the way they do things. Atleast up till now anyways. It seems like there whole foundation is becoming shaky. I am not a big Google fanboy so I am truly hoping that Yahoo can once again find it's head. As I stated at the beginning I would have no problem waiting for a relativily "Bug Free" product but don't act like it "impending" or released any time. Yahoo is giving the time lines that we are basing this on, not me/us.
  4. shaggymatt

shaggymatt New Member

I told my buddy about it who has the only supported phone. He said that the service is awesome. He is a big Flickr user and the integration is great he said. Very nice portal application, for his BB which of course only has the thumbwheel and no action pad like we have. He said it'd be even better with the pad.
  5. tpipher1

tpipher1 New Member

<_<

Now I'm Jeleous!
  6. BigOrange

BigOrange New Member

Back in the late 90's and 2000/2001 we dealt with Yahoo directly quite a bit, and had bad experiences with them often, lousy support, cocky/arrogant leadership in the company, and a "we don't give a crap" attitude.
  7. chi

chi New Member

i too have been using email before yahoo, hotmail, etc.. back in the prodigy and aol days. anyhow, i prefer yahoo mail. great spam control and relay from my work to other services when ordering online direct to Yahoo have been nearly instant. anyhow, can't wait for this release to come out.
  8. Phreaker47

Phreaker47 New Member

9. tpipher1

tpipher1 New Member

Yep I understand FULLY! Of COURSE I use Yahoo Messenger instead of MSN :wink: Again, no real reason other than I have used Yahoo forever, and in addition I hate anything MS. Yes we have to use it for OS and Office but I stear clear of MS if I have the chance. Paranoid maybe but I am not sure who "Big Brother" Is anymore? MS or Google! <grin>
  10. aegrant

aegrant New Member

Get this

As we and the throng of other smartphone users wait and wait and wait for Yahoo go 2.0 - you go to the site and there is a huge iPHONE ad stating it has 2.0 - typical, igonore your installed base and go for the phone that currently works for 2/3 of the customers who bought it over the past weekend.

Meanwhile I have to clear my ID just to get 1.0 to load my email everyday - this Sucks!!!
  11. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

guess another friday came and went ?

finally i have figured out i can read my work email on Yahoo.. but it has some challenges like the message seemed to be cut off, so perhaps i do have a reason to use Yahoo Go v2.0.
  12. flipper9

flipper9 New Member

You can't use Yahoo Go v2.0, it doesn't exist for the Motorola Q! lol :thumbdown:wacko:
  13. tpipher

tpipher New Member

Ya I gotta admit that when I saw that ad on the site yesterday morning I thought the same thing! I was HOT! Kiss the ass of the new kid on the block and crap on the rest. I am starting to understand why Yahoo is #2 and not #1. I am going to check out Google's offerings today. Tired of waiting, tired of excuses and THERE time lines keep getting longer. Maybe the young people have this one right after all, Yahoo belongs in the nineties!
  14. tpipher1

tpipher1 New Member

I guess I would be a little bit more patient with the 2.0 if they would have left 1.0 available!
  15. pekoe1111

pekoe1111 New Member

The funny thing is that as the page loads, the last thing to drop into place are the "Coming Soon!" graphics!
  16. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

lol i know...that got me the other day...i was like whoa they are up!
    2 seconds later...doh! they are not....
  17. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

i still have it for download.. if need be.
  18. flipper9

flipper9 New Member

Can you post Version 1? I've been dead in the water for a couple weeks when I decided to reformat my phone, then found out I couldn't get Version 1 anymore and Version 2 was vaporware.

Preferably from a link to the cab file so it can be installed from a phone (not rar'd or zipped)
  19. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

only got it rar'ed.. download here..
  20. Phreaker47

Phreaker47 New Member

Big Brother will still be scratching his head if you use SimpLite encryption: http://www.secway.fr/

Now we just need a smartphone version.