Yahoo 2.0 for Q

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by tpipher1, Jun 20, 2007.

1. tpipher1

tpipher1 New Member

Yahoo 2.0 for Q

Has ANYONE heard anything on the VERY VERY TARDY arrrival of Yahoo 2.0 for our Q's? From what I understood it was supposed to be out in April, now we are looking down the barrel of July and still nothing. Just wondering if anyone had any inside info or anything. Thanks Guys! :smile:
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

this article was posted by another member...seems it might be coming out this week...but who knows for sure
  3. pekoe1111

pekoe1111 New Member

So What's so Great About Yahoo go 2.0?

So I use Google for search, GoogleMaps on my phone for directions and maps. I haven't quite figured out which one is best for which purpose. Sometimes I use Google (the website) and am disappointed by the tiny map. Other times I use GoogleMaps (the program on the phone) and can't find a listing for a store.

All the portals (Yahoo, Google, etc.) are jockeying to be the one-stop, first place-you-go shop for everything, but I can't figure out which is best.

So now comes Yahoo Go 2.0 (sometime soon...). Why should I use that instead of my POP3/Outlook Account all set up on the phone? And will it use SMS that drains my battery and charges me extra fees to check for messages?

Why should I use Yahoo Go 2.0 instead of Google (website) or GoogleMaps (the program on my phone)?

So many questions...
  4. tpipher1

tpipher1 New Member

I think I have almost as many questions as you do! However I use Yahoo and have always loved it's mail service and as such want that on my phone. I do believe that one of the differences between the items you mentioned is supposed to be speed. Now let's wait and see it indeed that is the case.
  5. BigOrange

BigOrange New Member

I am in I.T. and have been using the internet since before Yahoo! existed. Without a doubt, Yahoo has the worst free email system out there. We get more complaints from them delaying messages etc.

I'd say Gmail or Hotmail are the way to go, but even better your own domain/POP3.
  6. pekoe1111

pekoe1111 New Member

I have also been using e-mail since before the Web, but I can't get used to Gmail's thread approach to e-mail. It gets me particularly confused when people start a new e-mail, rather than replying to one I sent. I am forced to either look through a bunch of threads to find an e-mail, or use search and wade through those.
  7. BigOrange

BigOrange New Member

At least you get the email unlike Yahoo's overzealous attempts to block spammers.
  8. tpipher1

tpipher1 New Member

Ya, I like the mail approach of Yahoo as well. Plus it has the direct ability to add folders etc. I do hope it comes this week!
  9. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

http://mobile.yahoo.com/go

i'm trying to install it as we speak (not sure if i want it... but i want to at least see it :}

strike that.. it says: Yahoo Go 2.0 is not currently available for your Windows Mobile 5.0 SmartPhone 320x240.
  10. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

ya i just checked and its still 'coming soon'
    perhaps sometime durning today....
  11. aegrant

aegrant New Member

Whatever

When it comes to this Yahoo Go 2.0 i have lost the faith - I love my yahoo go 1.0 and was pumped a 2.0 coming out but jeez we have been waiting for months for it to be released - not even a beta to try out.

If it comes out today I will download it but I'm not keeping my hopes up.
  12. Phreaker47

Phreaker47 New Member

I'm in I.T. too, but I'm not a real huge phone email user. I get emergency notifications from work via SMS. No way I could allow my phone to sync with our exchange server... I'm on too many mailing lists getting way too many messages every day to deal with that on my Q! So, I just have a shortcut to our outlook webmail access (mobile version) if needed.

I've also never been a fan of webmail for personal use.. of course I have hotmail and gmail accounts but they're basically throwaways to deflect junk mail from my ISP accounts. So, I have my Q set for my ISPs pop server. That beats webmail any day. All you need to do is find the address for your ISPs publicly accessible POP3 server, then set SMTP to your Verizon/Sprint SMTP address. Let activesync sync your mail between the Q and your home computer if you want.. then you are all set.
  13. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

ok, straight up: there are a few people -work related, no Exchange server- i want to receive at least 1) a notification to my i got email from them 2) receive the email forwarded to my Q.

so i made a rule in Outlook to forward that mail to my Q, i use Wireless Sync to push it to my Q

well... the plan didn't work out for me. a) when my laptop is not on, no mail b) if my pc is on it sometimes takes hours before i get the email (when i tested it sending myself email it went relatively quick)

i tried forwarding to my xxxxxxxxxx@vtext.com but that cuts off the important part usually..

not sure what to do.

yes, i shamelessly hi-jacked this thread.. it may not be as bad if i also mention that the previous dude before me here has our company web site on Yahoo and the mail is going through Yahoo also.
  14. tpipher1

tpipher1 New Member

15. flipper9

flipper9 New Member

I have a sneaky suspicion that Yahoo Go! 2.0 is vapor-ware. It's been promised since April, then delayed, then they said it would be released last Friday, now it's Sunday. Will they ever release the damn thing?
  16. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

so now we have 2 threads with people assumptions based on some delay.. ever considered that they want to release something that works with as little bugs as possible ?
  17. FourTwenSesh

FourTwenSesh Active Member

Or the fact that Yahoo might possibly not exist soon? Microsoft has been talking about buying them.
  18. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

yep... who knows right ? :}
  19. FourTwenSesh

FourTwenSesh Active Member

Being the investor type I am, the 2 companies HAVE been discussing a merger, but nothing has materialized as of yet. Its going to be to try and combat google. Its funny how the student has now become the master.....(Microsoft vs. Google)
  20. Marvelous Merv

Marvelous Merv New Member

Its pretty clear to me that what Yahoo is struggling with is a system of server-side push email that uses their exisiting POP system efficiently - note that they were able to make Yahoo Go 2.0 work for the IMAP Blackberry system, which makes for a rather comical headline "Yahoo Go delivers innovative PUSH email system to BLACKBERRY users!"