XP/ActivSync just stopped finding my Q?!

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by bryangard, May 23, 2008.

1. bryangard

bryangard New Member

XP/ActivSync just stopped finding my Q?!

Please see attachments. After I plug in my Moto Q (v8) via USB, ActiveSync churns and churns and I get the cannot connect to device message. ActSync was running fine for like a year then stopped working. I backed down to version 4.2 from version 4.5 and same thing happens. I run the troubleshooter and it seems to run fine and directs me to MS troubleshoot page which is worthless. I have also checked the services and sure enough the driver for Windows Mobile Device #3 is present. I deleted it, unplugged the Q, plugged it back into the USB and it found the device but the Q does not show up in my Windows 'My Computer' view like it used to and ActiveSync still can't 'connect to the device' - Since I am at my wits end, I even completely hard reset the device thinking it was something wrong on the Q side. Same things is happening...it still can't connect. I have checked all of the Q active sync settings and it is setup to use USB etc. I also noticed that in the ActiveSync menu under File--> Mobile Device it is completely grayed out where there used to be my device name listed. I am at such a loss here and at this point I would be willing to pay to get this fixed, please help.

Attached Files:

2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

delete the partnership and then sync again
  3. bryangard

bryangard New Member

Thanks but...

How do I delete the partnership?
  4. n99hockey

open active sync on the PC
    file
    delete mobile device
  5. bryangard

bryangard New Member

The File-->Delete Mobile Device is grayed out

When I plug in the Q and it churns away in Active sync and it comes back with Not Connected - That option is grayed out and there is no apparent partnership available. That is the crux of the problem. It can not even create the partnership.
  6. n99hockey

your Q cant be connected when you do that
  7. bryangard

bryangard New Member

Disconnected Q...

The ActiveSync app becomes grayed out in the task bar area. I relaunched the app, and most of the entire file menu is still grayed out - still states no partnerships. I do appreciate your help here...
  8. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

try unchecking usb to pc advanced network under connections in phone settings....and then reboot!
  9. bryangard

bryangard New Member

You are a godsend!

For whatever reason disabled that advanced network setting fixed it!!

I can't thank you enough!

Is there any advantage you have seen to using v4.5 over v4.2?
  10. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

and watch...you can probably enable it again tomorrow and it will work still! :)

glad it worked!
  11. meth200

meth200 New Member

I'm having the same issue. and I've tried what has been suggested here and it still not working for me. Sorry to hijack, any help would be appreciated.
  12. txter

txter New Member

do ou have verizon? i have a verizon Q that had the same prob. i went into my wireless sync options, opened up settings / active sync & selected "ask each time". it was on disabled & that seemed to be my fix.
  13. meth200

meth200 New Member

no iI have an alltel Q and this is a replacement one. I got that stupid flash mode error that kills the Q so they sent me a replacment one and for the life of me I can't get it to sync at all. I'm at my whits end. i looked at my active sync on the Q and the only option avaible to me is add server and connection. I've trid selecting and deselcting the option of connect to all pc's using usb and usb defult and i get nothing I've even updated my motorola software, nothing.