XML Confusion

Discussion in 'Q Home Screens and Wallpapers' started by Qryan, May 17, 2007.

1. Qryan

Qryan New Member

XML Confusion

Hi, I am new here. I lurk mostly and have tried to avoid getting into this customization stuff as I was sure it would consume many hours of my life...but, alas I could resist no longer. I am not entirely dissatisfied with the homescreens that come pre-loaded on the Q, I would just like to tweek them a bit. I know HTML from the early days of web design, but I have been out of the loop in recent years and this XML business has me somewhat confused. As I understand it, it is very similar to HTML in that you can use a simple program like notepad to do your editing. Where I get confused is how to save edited files to the Q and have them show up as a selectable homescreen. For example, I was trying to edit the xml file for the Windows default layout, particularly, I want to drop the height of the calender plugin by half, and if possible change the displayed messages, i.e. 'Home Service' and 'No upcoming appointments'. It seems as though this shouldnt be too difficult and I believe I have found the lines of code that need to be edited, but, like I said, I don't know how to save the file or what extension to make it, or what is up with this version number stuff. I apologize in advance if this info is readily available and I just didnt search enough, but any help that can be thrown my way by some of you more technically savvy users would be greatly appreciated.

tia,
    Ryan
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

if you copy the xml file to your desktop and edit it then when done close it it will ask you to save. hit yes and the file will stay an xml file...thats it...
    of course if your code is wrong then it will not show up in the homescreen menu on the Q...
  3. Qryan

Qryan New Member

Hey, thanks hockey. In my sleep deprived state I didn't realize the file was read only when I copied it...duh. But, I think i get the idea now. One more question. Where can I edit the names like "Home Service" and "No upcoming appointments."? I see where the plug-ins are, but I cannot locate that text or any coding that seems to point to it.

thanks,
    Ryan
  4. n99hockey

the home service is the 'carrier' plugin...the no appointment is in the calendar plugin...dont know exact right now (not on a PC) but something say's no appintment=true...or something along those lines..i can verify this for you tomorrow...

- Sent from my Q
  5. n99hockey

hey just found it on the Q...but you can add this code to the calendar plugin

<Format state='no event'
    visable='false' >

give it a shot...this will remove that 'no event message'
    hope it helps

- Sent from my Q
  6. Qryan

Qryan New Member

sweet, thanks, i will try that when i get home. i thought that may have been it. probably a similar line of code for the home service too then.
  7. Qryan

Qryan New Member

Hey, I've been messing around with the MSN default screen, and i was wondering if you knew how to change the link to msn to something else like a link to mobile office or just some other application.

Thanks,
    Ryan