WP7 without alway-on connection (no data plan!)

Discussion in 'Windows Phone 7' started by banvetor, Jan 5, 2011.

1. banvetor

banvetor New Member

Hi everyone,

I've been a long-time user of Nokia phones, but the time has come (and passed) to switch to a different mobile OS. I don't like the excessive control that Apple applies to the iPhone and Android also never really fascinated me. I did like webOS for a moment, but then it simply faded away.

Anyway, being a S60FP3 user, I'm used to control exactly when my phone is online (be it by cell network or WiFi). Also, most of the functions I use (music, taking photos and some little gaming) are all offline. I do perform the occasional web browsing and e-mail checking, but mostly when there is wi-fi available or when I REALLY need to (in which case I pay for the KB of data).

So, if you guys could help me with two basic questions which I have not found the answer in any review, I would really appreciate:

1) Can you completely control when the phone is going "online", be it by cell network or WiFi? The way Nokia does is fine with me (asking me how to connect everytime an app wants to go online), but with WP7 being so more advanced than Symbian it would be great if it had a more clever way to do it (like automatically banning every rebellious app from going online if no known hot spot is available).

2) So, considering that I can tame the phone to keep it offline, how useful will the phone actually be? Do I suddenly loose A LOT of the functions (FB contact data, etc), or does the phone keep them in memory for when offline?

A couple of examples that I'm interested in (besides FB contacts) are the Zune and the Maps application...

Thanks,
    Leo.
  2. jab119

jab119 Member

you have to sign up for a data plan when you purchase the phone. But if I recall you can cancel the data plan after 30 days. many iPhone users did that and still do.
    In the settings you can turn the data connection to OFF and it wont access anything like weather, email or the market place via the cell network, but your wifi will still work to access data.
    the Maps application needs a data connection to work, wifi or cell network.

James
    banvetor likes this.
  3. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

I don't think you can do that anymore. At least with AT&T and VZW, once they see a smartphone on your account, they will automatically add a data plan to your account.
  4. banvetor

banvetor New Member

Hi guys, thank-you for your help, but just to make things clear I do not live in the US and so I do not have this problem... I'm actually planning to buy an unlocked phone, since I travel a lot to my home country.

Thanks!
    Leo.
  5. TheDFO

TheDFO Member

Just so you know, they don't "always" add the plan. For awhile I had a blackjack II, and didn't have any plan because I asked them to turn the internet off of my phone.

Of course, that meant I couldn't use it online EVER, but still, just saying that if you don't want data, you don't HAVE to use it (unless it's part of the rebate).
  6. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Yes, this is true, and I have heard of others who have done the same. I suppose it's on a case to case basis. I can understand purchasing an unlocked phone, they can't force you to keep a data plan. I would think though, not with OP's particular case, that if you have signed to a 2 year contract, that having a data plan is a must with the newer data hungry phones.
  7. WinningGuy

WinningGuy New Member

To answer your question, Yes.

Go to Settings>cellular
    Under Data Connection just switch it to Off.