wp7 update?

Discussion in 'Windows Phone 7' started by jilardi2, Feb 3, 2011.

1. jilardi2

jilardi2 New Member

will i need to hook my phone up to a computer to get the wp7 update,or will it just update from my phone?
  2. RandomAlec

RandomAlec Member

I believe you have to connect your phone to your computer and update using the Zune software. Your phone will let you know when an update is available using it's Internet connection (Wifi or Cellular).
    jilardi2 likes this.
  3. jilardi2

jilardi2 New Member

thanks, that sucks though cause i don't have a computer
  4. termleech

termleech Member

You won't necessarily have to connect. It's possible they will do an OTA update for the phone since the phone has the update capability built in. Time will tell once it's released.
    jilardi2 likes this.
  5. jilardi2

jilardi2 New Member

i hope so
  6. skibum555

skibum555 New Member

I wish they would hurry up with this release!!! A few of the phones bugs are starting to bug me!! I might have to look into an Android hack for HD7!
  7. Runningman

Runningman New Member

The following is a quote from the Microsoft Manager responsible for updates:

WPT: So no over-the-air (OTA) updates then. Why not?
    Brown: For our first version, we really wanted a consistent, reliable solution that our customers could trust 100%. Connecting to a computer and using the Zune client software for the update gives us several advantages, including a large screen for the update user interface, the ability to charge the phone while updating, and a full backup of the phone in case any problems occur. However, we've definitely been thinking ahead as we've designed and built our current process, so we won't have to redo a lot of work in order to implement OTA capability in the future.

It looks like you will have to borrow a computer for this. The following is the link for the above for more info.

http://www.windowsroundup.com/2010/10/the-windows-phone-7-update-process-explained/
    termleech likes this.
  8. termleech

termleech Member

Ok, so looks like the first one won't be OTA. In my opinion OTA is a scary thing anyway because if it fails you are pretty much SOL. I'd rather connect it to a computer and be sure of the update.
  9. RobR

RobR Member

I don't see what's so scary of OTA, I really doubt Microsoft would do an "on the fly" update as it downloads. I'm sure it just downloads a copy of the update before the phone applies it.
  10. TheDFO

TheDFO Member

The scary part is if the phone losses power or network signal. Nothing bricks a phone as fast as a half done firmware update.
  11. NaplesBill

NaplesBill Member

The OTA would not proceed until it has a complete and verified download. The power issue is valid and is a potential issue even when using a USB cable. You should never apply an update to a device with less than 50% battery IMO.
  12. TheDFO

TheDFO Member

And the USB cable...powers the phone?

And forcing an update-through-Zune is the best way of guaranteeing idiots don't try and update their phone with 2% power left over 3G.
  13. NaplesBill

NaplesBill Member

That is a yes and no situation. While the flashing is occurring, it is not likely that there is any charging going on. This is why it is important to have a good charge on the battery before flashing any portable electronic device.

I am not debating that updating via Zune is the best method, but OTA is still a viable option as well.
  14. TheDFO

TheDFO Member

Yeah, that's where we disagree. OTA is doable for small things, but anything major (I don't know how big this will be in terms of updating the software) is just a bad idea to be OTA. You just know some moron is going to try it with no battery power will roaming on 3G or something stupid.

Then complain to the world that M$ bricked their phone.
  15. NaplesBill

NaplesBill Member

I have received a few OTA updates on Android. I have not had any issues and the updates did check the battery status and verified the download before updating.

I think it is a bit more important to have OTA updates on an Android device. This is mostly due to the fact that there is no official, or viable IMO, PC companion software for Android OS.

The use of a client side update is definitely a better solution, especially if it includes a system snapshot before the update. This means that you will be able to revert should you encounter an issue.