WP7 Apps more expensive than iOS and Android

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Apps and Games' started by Phil, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Phil

Phil New Member

Alot of apps on WP7 cost £0.79 on iOS they cost £0.59 on Android they cost £0.60
    Most of the free apps on iOS and Android cost £0.79 on WP7
    Games, games are unbelievable.
    Fruit ninja: £2.50 on WP7 £0.79 on Android £0.59 on iOS
    Tetris: £3.99 on WP7 £1.80 on Android £0.59 on iOS
    there are just a few examples
    My question is why is this?
  2. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

My guess is that it's due to the number of users on the platform and/or the potential for profitability. If developers invest X dollars into Windows Phone 7 development, they need a a certain number of users to purchase their app to recoup their costs and then start making money. Many have claimed that it's tough to sell stuff in the Android Market. Despite a good install base, they don't see sales like iOS. I think WP7 is similar in a lot of respects to iOS in functionality of the store Zune/iTunes, Marketplace/AppStore. If they can increase the user base, developers will likely lower the cost of their apps.
  3. DavidCo

DavidCo New Member

Some games like Fruit Ninja are Xbox-live enabled, too, which is a little more work for Devs and for Microsoft to enable.

Games will come down in price, but I'm not sure 2 bucks for a mobile game is outrageous on a newer platform - for example, Fruit Ninja for the iPad is $2.99.
  4. SnailUK

SnailUK Member

This question comes up constantly, and im still baffled why people dont see the big picture.

As Chris describes, theres orders of magnitude less users on WP7 than iOS/Andriod, and therefore theres no way WP7 is ready to push such a low price point, there will simply be no point developing a paid application as it will end up making a loss.