WP needs more commercials like this.

Discussion in 'Windows Phone 7' started by ninjaap, Jul 28, 2011.

1. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

It's exciting and highlights some great features

2. Sb.

Sb. Member

Great ad! but I think WP7 will need some decent apps and by that I mean for them to look and be as good as they are on an iphone because that's the only thing that makes it so successful and if they dont get that happening fast I cant see this OS being successful.

Most of the apps in marketplace are crap and the only good games are on xbox and we get ripped off for that. When I go through the apps in the marketplace I get the feeling that they're made by uni students for projects or just learning to program, the only decent stuff is from xbox. I hope that things change and we get some decent stuff soon.
  3. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

That is very true. But that is up to the developers to put more effort into their apps be it new or ported. With a seemingly almost insignifficant marketshare, I think big time companies don't really stress too much about developing for WP. The normal excuse is "we have to direct our recources accordingly". Meaning they need to concetrate on Android and iOS first, where the majority of their targeted audiences are. Then work on WP app, if they find the time. That's the impression I'm getting.
  4. Sb.

Sb. Member

Yeah I know what you mean, the other day I was reading some articles regarding games for mobile platforms and had no idea that some cost in excess of 1 million dollars to create so that's the reason for, 1.cost of games on WP7 and 2.not much interest in building on WP7 at the moment due to a lack of audience.

Ive got my Focus as my phone and I've got an iphone for games, just wish I had the combination of both on one phone but I gotta say that overall I prefer WP7 as an OS with Mango now but it just needs those apps!!!
  5. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

A million dollars???? Wow... o_O

Assuming that it does cost a million dollars to develop an app. I wouldn't think that it would cost them a million dollars to build the app for every platform. Especially, for WP, since MS gave the developers a porting tool that has been touted as the easiest to use out of any phone OS. I think the initial cost could be most expensive, because they wold have to build or setup the backend like servers and such. But then porting shouldn't cost that much. I could be wrong, though.
  6. Sb.

Sb. Member

Well you've probably heard that MS is paying devs to port their iphone apps and are willing to go into a loss for the next couple of years apparently to get the app store moving. Their really trying to lift their game now!
  7. GazH

GazH New Member

I think this is the only way MS is going to get back into the game properly.
    I do like this OS but it is let down by the marketplace. Most notably I couldn't find any of the big names in the sat nav field (tom tom, Co-pilot etc). Not that this will matter when we get a free one with mango :)
    Cheers
    Gaz
  8. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

The app store is moving along nicely, I think. From what I've been reading, the Marketplace has reached it's milestone numbers faster than Android and iOS when they first started. No doubt the carrot that MS put out helped tremendously.
  9. Sb.

Sb. Member

10. Sb.

Sb. Member

Id love to know how many original apps there are as the apple apps store probably has more ifart apps than marketplace apps all together.
    The numbers have become irrelevant for me as the higher they go the more duplicates you get and not much original/useful stuff comes out, seems like a lot of people are trying to copy others work to get a piece of the pie.
  11. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Just a slight correction, it's Flipboard that has invested $13M. But regardless, I never knew that they could cost so much!
  12. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

I'd say they overpaid for Flipboard. Not a fan of that app, at all. It did generate some buzz at launch, but I think that's due to the big money behind it.
  13. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

I guess, sometimes, you gotta spend money to make money.
  14. chris

WP needs commercials period. I haven't seen one in a while.
  15. Sb.

Sb. Member

True, they hit it up on release and its just gone quiet I guess they're getting ready for mango and I think that they will push it hard from there as it was missing a lot of features from the beginning and only copy and paste was the significant addition since release.

Mango will be the game changer for windows as there's a a lot of great new features and we've got Nokia and Toshiba/Fujitsu coming on board, just to get the lack of quality apps sorted and it will be a winner.
  16. chris

Agreed. Reminds me of the G1 launch. It was slow growth period during year one of Android and then boom. Might be more difficult to accomplish this given the current competitive climate. The company has to be thrilled with Mango -- but it's up to the OEM's to come out strong. They need 4G supported phones, front facing cameras and hardware should match what's happening on Android.