Would there be any interest in...

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by CodeGuy, Jul 22, 2006.

1. CodeGuy

CodeGuy New Member

Would there be any interest in...

Out of curiosity, I have written a list maker application for the Q. Mostly for my own use, as I went shopping for the family the other day and really wished that I just had it all in my Q so wouldn't have to futz with the pad of paper I was carrying around. Anyway, I am toying with the notion of making it available for free here on EverythingQ, but wondered if there would be any interest? It is a pretty basic app. You create a list, give it a name, add items to it, and check them off. That's about it. Anyway, wondered what the interest level would be in such a thing. It has zero desktop integration at the moment, though I would certainly like to do that in the future.

Grego
  2. CodeGuy

CodeGuy New Member

Well bleh. Turns out the Q doesn't support the .NET framework 2.0, and guess what my app is written in? Guess until I figure out how to upgrade it, posting the app isn't going to happen. Sorry to raise hopes.
  3. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

List makers are a popular app - especially for shopping. If you're able to get a Q version, I'm sure it would be useful.

-Chris
  4. EdW

EdW New Member

I would definately be interested in it so good luck with developing it and I look forward to the app
  5. hnsimpson

hnsimpson New Member

I would definitely be interested in it. If only for the grocery getting.

-Simpson
  6. Baba John

Baba John New Member

hell, yeah. had a simple list app on my bb and it turned out to be one of my most used apps. please share it here!
  7. thegbees

thegbees New Member

8. CodeGuy

CodeGuy New Member

Hrm. I have a question then. I have downloaded that very file a half dozen times trying to get the framework upgraded on my Q, and it errors out every time. Something about a configuration file being wrong. I would be happy to provide the software for free, I just want to test it on my Q before I inflict it on anyone else. Any ideas what this upgrade error might be and how I get around it?
  9. CodeGuy

CodeGuy New Member

Ok,

Here is the first cut that I feel semi-comfortable releasing out into the wild. All of the standard disclaimers apply. I make no warranties whatsoever for this software. I bear no responsibility if your Q suddenly erupts into a ball of flame when you run it. I wrote it in two days, and there are likely some bugs in it. If you can't live live with these things, you should probably steer clear. If you frag your phone in the process of trying to get this installed, I will not be providing tech support. I guess you see what I am saying here: Enter at your own risk...

Now, with that out of the way :laugh:

This file contains BOTH the application AND the .NET Compact Framework 2.0 CAB installer. So, please follow these steps carefully.

1) Unzip this file to a directory of your choice.
    2) Copy the .CAB file to your MiniSD card.
    3) Open up FileManager on your Q, navigate to the CAB file, and run it. Please note that it is best to kill ALL apps prior to attempting this.
    4) You will need to reboot your phone to complete the .NET Framework install.
    5) Dock your phone, and hit "Explore" in ActiveSync.
    6) Navigate to your "Program Files" directory. Make a sub-directory there called ShoppingList. It really shouldn't matter what you call it, but that's what I used.
    7) Copy ShoppingList.exe to this directory.
    8) Fire up FileManager on your Q again and navigate to ShoppingList.exe
    9) In one of the FileManager menus is an option called "Create Shortcut". Highlight ShoppingList.exe, and click "Create Shortcut".
    10) Navigate FileManager to \Windows\Start Menu and hit "Done". This will place a shortcut into your start menu for the app.

Thats about it. Hit start, find the app, and go.

The only side note I have right now is that if you want your lists stored on memory card, please select that option from the main screen menu BEFORE you create a list. I do have one known bug right now where I try to move list files back and forth between main memory and storage card that doesn't quiet work right, so just be sure to set this before you make any lists. If you set it after, the name of your list will show up, but it will be empty.

Guess that's about all. Constructive feedback welcome, destructive feedback ignored. Have fun! :whistling

http://files.filefront.com/ShoppingList10azip/;5299836;;/fileinfo.html

I have no idea why, but you need to actually paste this url into your address bar in your browser. For some odd reason it redirects to the FileFront main page when clicked here.

10. CodeGuy

CodeGuy New Member

If you downloaded this before 12:30pm Monday, please grab the newer version that is up. Sad to say, but I left a small bit of code out that actually saved the state of the item when it was checked, so the newer version will prove to be much more useful ;)
  11. CodeGuy

CodeGuy New Member

Please use this link to download the list app. My personal site seems to be getting hammered, so I have hosted the file on FileFront.

http://files.filefront.com/ShoppingList10azip/;5299836;;/fileinfo.html

I have no idea why, but you need to actually paste this url into your address bar in your browser. For some odd reason it redirects to the FileFront main page when clicked here.
  12. hnsimpson

hnsimpson New Member

Do you have a direct download site for us to get it from our Q's browser.

-Simpson
  13. CodeGuy

CodeGuy New Member

No. Sorry, I don't have one at the moment.
  14. giblet_11

giblet_11 New Member

Shopping list problem

I'd like to try it out, but even copy/paste takes me to the FileFront main page and I'm not able to find your zip. Any ideas or suggestions?
    Thx.
  15. Tired.Monkey

Tired.Monkey New Member

have the exact same problem

i really wana try your progam

hope you will fix that soon :laugh2:

thx anyway for developing some progam for our Q