WMP choking on 6GB music library

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by nefnet13, Aug 21, 2009.

1. nefnet13

nefnet13 New Member

WMP choking on 6GB music library

Hey everyone,

Quick question b/c it's late and my search-fu has failed me.

Recently upgraded my SD card to 8GB and packed it with about 6GB of music. Thought I would be a happy camper with my stereo BT headphones and a playlist that wouldn't repeat for like days.

However WMP (after taking over 2 hours to re-build the library) takes anywhere from 20-90 seconds to switch songs, even if I don't skip and just let 'em play through. Annoying bordering on unacceptable.

Thought it might be the new card (only Class 4) but tried Kinoma Freeplay and it switches with alacrity. Like, immediately. But Play doesn't do AVCRP properly on the Q (or so I read-- haven't bothered to try myself as it looks like any workarounds are pretty hairy) and that's too bad because I really like the program a lot. Microsoft should buy those guys.

Anybody got any good advice for me? I just wanna rock my tunes without waiting so long between 'em that I jump half the time when a track suddenly blares to life in my ears.

Thanks to anyone with any input.
  2. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

cant relate too much as i dont have nearly that amount of tunes/vids but wmp has been known to come very shy of a decent player. there are other players out there..i did run kinoma for awhile and it was decent..now i have and love pocket tunes..but again i dont have 6gb of library. i have around 2gb of tunes with art and PT never stalls. it does take a bit to update the library but all players will. be warned though...PT is not a cheap alternative but is well worth the price for a tune junky! it has endless internet radio as well as podcasts.

also..ive heard lonelycat games (?) has a decent player too. =)
  3. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

I remember reading about this problem a while back. It's a bug of WMP when you have lots of songs. I don't know the magic number when it starts to slow down WMP, and I don't recall there ever being a fix for it.
  4. Brent372

Brent372 New Member

You have all 6GB of music in one gigantic playlist?
  5. gnath9

gnath9 New Member

I don't add to library, I just play files. I also only have about 2gig on my card. I have not had any probs what so ever with media player. I am in the habit of keeping my phone very very clean and every thing goes on my 8gig card. But this has got me curious ... maybe I will add to library and see what happens.
  6. Sathanvs

Sathanvs New Member

I have an 8 gig card and 5 gig is music and 2 videos and I don't have any problems with wmp. It did take a while to rebuild my library after I did the last MSU firmware update, but other than building the library, I've never noticed any problems. I don't use BT though, I use the adapter for my old school headphones. Idk if the BT has anything to do with it.
  7. nefnet13

nefnet13 New Member

Thanks for the feedback everybody. Yeah it's all one big playlist-- I consider it my own personal radio station. I recently started working from home and nothing drowns out a yelling 4-year-old (and her mother) & keeps me on task like a big old dose of classic punk rock.

Treefrog, I will check out pocket tunes when I get a chance-- I have heard good things about it from other sources too.

I really really wish Kinoma Play would work-- the presentation and navigation in that program makes me happy. If I had 3G in my area I might have already bought it just to stream podcasts.

Gnath- do you have to select each individual file for playing or can you just point to a directory and go? I like to shuffle the songs, so I think I sort of HAVE to use the library.

Sathanvs- Don't think it's the BT phones as I experience the same thing with earbuds as well as playing out of the phone's speaker.

Anyway thanks again everyone. I am proud to carry such an under-appreciated device with a helpful user community. There was a time when I had sworn never to use a Motorola product again but over the past year the Q has changed my mind. Now I'd NEVER go back to my once-beloved Treo...

...But a Pre? That's another story. Come on, GSM version!!!