WM6 Upgrade in hand: Do i jump?

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by scubasteve, Apr 19, 2007.

1. scubasteve

scubasteve New Member

WM6 Upgrade in hand: Do i jump?

My friend Will brought me a present a few minutes ago, its the WM6 rom sprint has been testing on the Q's. The same one he has flashed to his Q. Now i have to decide if i want to chance the flash or not.

Part of me wants too, but if i brick it i have to destroy it and claim TEP and man that sounds like a headache. Not to mention my Q has given me NO problems, and i cant say that for the replacement i get if i should brick it.
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

man thats a tough decision...
    has your friend had any problems running it?
  3. scubasteve

scubasteve New Member

Not really. Said hes a had a few hangups here and there, but overall he has no complaints.

And b4 anyone asks im not sharing it, i had to bribe him to let ME try it.
  4. thumpinc

thumpinc New Member

If you are keeping it to yourself, why don't you keep it to yourself?

So you bribed your friend Will for it but you are not sure if you want it, and you want to let everyone know you have it but they can't have it because even though you may not want it you had to pay for it?

You are cool.
  5. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

So much for the report on Engadget today about Sprint not upgrading the Q to WM6. I say go for it and then send me exclusive photos to use one Everything Q. :tounge:
  6. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

you know you want to... i say go for it, you just have to take risks in life.

posted on the Q.
  7. scubasteve

scubasteve New Member

I got it because i DO want it, its just a hard step to take when its your only phone. Grow up.

He said they decided not to release an upgrade, but they have been toying around with it for a while apparently. I'm probably going to do it later tonight, and if i do certainly EQ will be the only ones to get it :)
  8. n99hockey

that would be pretty sweet to see...good luck if you decide to go with it!!!
  9. gmardre

gmardre New Member

You have to do it.
  10. smeg36

smeg36 New Member

Definitely do it. I would in a heart beat. There's most likely a way to go back somehow if you didn't like it or bricked it. It wouldn't be easy, but I've seen it with other WM phones.

This thread is why I'm not too worried about Sprint not releasing the WM6 upgrade. While you aren't planning on leaking this to the rest of us, someone somewhere will. The MPx200 never officially had an upgrade from Smartphone 2002, but you can flash it with WM2003 and WM5. Sprint may not release an upgrade to WM6, but sooner or later I'm betting it'll be leaked.
  11. scubasteve

scubasteve New Member

I'm not saying i WONT let it out, just not right now. I think im going to do it lol.
  12. klurf8881

klurf8881 New Member

i say go for it, one of can always dump our Q rom for you to fix it in the slim chance you brick yours. Id be glad to do it for you if this helps you get it on yours and then leaked to all of us. Im the one who started the petition on sprintusers and have over 1000 posts over there so i want to see this happen.
  13. scubasteve

scubasteve New Member

Actually, yea that would be awsome. I would feel alot better with a WM5 rom in hand lol.
  14. klurf8881

klurf8881 New Member

do you have any experience with roms? have the .raw files if you know what to do with them or else i can try take it a step further. im still new at the rom thing but ive been working on the i600 rom on xdadevelopers to get the carousel homescreen.

Just a thought, but wouldnt the Q update that came from moto reinstall the rom anyways??
  15. smeg36

smeg36 New Member

It should, but the updater checks your ROM. If you have a newer ROM, or a different version than the one it requires to update, it'll probably refuse to let you. It all depends on how Motorola coded the updater. In any case, you could probably do some tricky coding to get the updater to recognize your phone as the ROM required to do the update. I personally don't know how to do this, but have seen it done to downgrade other WM devices
  16. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

i was expecting a report w/ all kinds of mouth-watering screen shots but what do i see.... nothing.

wth :}
  17. klurf8881

klurf8881 New Member

just let him do it on his own time frame, he said he will eventually share it just let him do it on his terms.

The more we help him right now the faster it will get done.

BTW scuba i dumped my Q's rom incase you brick yours, its in a .bin file. i just have to figure out how you flash it back on your phone to restore it is all shouldnt take very long to figure out though. Any chance for all the work, and if you get it working, i can be first to get the wm6 rom?:smile: I dont have a problem taking the risk i have TEP and know my tech so i can get a swap if something did happen
  18. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

yea i considered that option... i decided he needs to do it on our time frame :}
  19. n99hockey

i agree with rude....we want to know now :laugh2:
  20. Stealth

Stealth New Member

I do too.

I'm dying over here. I can't wait to see or hear about it. Keep us posted Scuba!!