WM6.1 Now Avail.

Discussion in 'US Cellular' started by juanm269, Sep 16, 2008.

1. brandon.roeder

brandon.roeder New Member

I dont think gps is as important as an engine :)
  2. geopoliticus

geopoliticus New Member

True. It's like they give you a car with a moon roof, but they rip out the wiring to make the switch actually allow you to open it. Better? :)
  3. rfarrah

rfarrah New Member

I didn't like it, but ended up buying a Bt receiver to use with my Q9c. Works great, but I was hoping the GPS would be "opened up" with the WM 6.1 upgrade.

Wishfull thinking on my part.
  4. geopoliticus

geopoliticus New Member

The latest from my source, and he's been very good thus far, is sometime between November and early January GPS will be re-enabled on the phones.

The story goes like this. The USC reps that my guy talks to are telling him that it was disabled on the Q9c because they (USC) did not want customers to have the same bad experience that users of the blackberry had. Apparently the built in GPS on these phones (blackberry) is not of a high enough quality or the antenna is not big enough to allow the internal GPS get it's location fast enough. So the carriers can enable some sort of location based assist that the phone gets from the towers to help the app get it's position faster. This has something to do with E911 service as well because USC was saying that their system could not handle the request load for these GPS phones and ensure the quality of their E911 service. So they shut off the GPS.

Time will tell.
  5. rfarrah

rfarrah New Member

Very interesting. Thanks!
  6. DamMan

DamMan New Member

I was recently given a q 9c and found this forum while researching the phone before I decide if I want to spend the money to activate the phone and sign up for the uscc $25 smartphone package. Is there any update on USCC making the GPS feature available?

Thank You,
    DamMan
  7. rfarrah

rfarrah New Member

Sorry, no. Still no update or fix to make this happen from the USCC Q9c. You can buy a Bluetooth GPS receiver and works well, though.