WM6.1 Now Avail.

Discussion in 'US Cellular' started by juanm269, Sep 16, 2008.

1. MD02RSX-S

MD02RSX-S New Member

i downloaded the update and it is 6.1. It's pretty slick looking. now just gotta see if it fixed the rebooting issue. Will try to get pictures tonight.
  2. geopoliticus

geopoliticus New Member

US Cellular Windows Mobile 6.1 Update Official!!! GPS unlikely... :(

Confirmed. Windows 6.1 on my mobile phone now. Woot! Mobile 6.1 & EV in 1 day! We just got EV in my area.

Now... as far as GPS goes. I installed Windows Live Search. I tested ALL the different GPS Ports (GPS COM0-9 & the GPS Intermediate Driver) and could not get them to work. However, GPS COM3 & GPS Intermediate Driver both displayed error messages that suggested that it was trying to find the GPS sattelite.

When I selected Map (on Windows Live Search) and "Center on GPS" there was what felt like a 3-5 minute delay then the device would display the message, "Sorry, the GPS connection has been lost. Would you like to reconnect now?" or "Sorry, we could not get your GPS position. Please make sure you hav a clear view of the sky."

I have not yet tested with google maps. I'll let ya'll know.
  3. Impact857

Impact857 New Member

Were is your "area"?
  4. wastingtime

wastingtime New Member

gps did not work for me either after the 6.1 upgrade. anyone find a hack to enable this feature yet? i have a friend at us cell and he is asking around about it. i will post if i find out anything!
  5. Impact857

Impact857 New Member

I don't think USCC will do gps.
  6. i4get75

i4get75 New Member

Yeah, that really sucks since they don't offer any GPS apps for the Q
  7. Impact857

Impact857 New Member

They dont offer any apps for the Q in the first place do they?

They could of attempted a easy edge..
  8. i4get75

i4get75 New Member

Nope...none at all.
  9. rfarrah

rfarrah New Member

There are a lot of free or near-free applications for WM5 and WM6 devices like the Q1 and Q9c. Just because USCC doesn't host them doesn't mean they aren't out there. Here's just one link: http://www.smartphone-freeware.com/

Search and ye shall find!
  10. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

carriers dont typically carry software (other than there own)
    take a few minutes to look at our software store and the official software sticky thread in the software forum
    TONS of links there
  11. Impact857

Impact857 New Member

I took a look at the site rfarrah said, I didn't know about that one but i was aware of the EverythingQ software
  12. geopoliticus

geopoliticus New Member

Hartford, WI 53027
  13. geopoliticus

geopoliticus New Member

They will, but now they are saying sometime between November and January of next year.
  14. geopoliticus

geopoliticus New Member

The issue here with USC and the Moto Q9c's is not that they don't offer any GPS apps, it's that they removed EXISTING functionality on the Q9c by removing drivers on the unit for GPS.

I was in our local USC store today and they had this giant USC touchscreen kiosk. I touched phones > smartphones > Q9c and it showed (in their OWN product literature) that the Q9c is GPS enabled. Grrrrr... liars. :p

So if they had the drivers in there still, Google Maps & Windows Live Search would work just fine.

So we have to wait for them to "enable" this functionality on their phones by way of another update on the phone. Really a dumb situation.
  15. Impact857

Impact857 New Member

It also looks like that they need to enable there carrier broadcast because mine still says Home Service
  16. wastingtime

wastingtime New Member

geopoliticus - thanks for clearing that up as that was my point in my initial post. and the fact that they do advertise that the phone is gps enabled is ridiculous... maybe this is off subject but i have been all over the internet trying find the hack and it seems other people are working on it as well with no luck as of yet. i guess i just find it absurd that i would have to go spend more $$$ on a BT receiver when the phone already has one built in... but hey my 6.1 seems to be working fine so far.
  17. i4get75

i4get75 New Member

We were talking about GPS applications. USCC doesn't offer any AND they have GPS turned off so you can't use it with Live and Google Maps.
  18. n99hockey

if you get a bluetooth gps receiver you certainly can
  19. i4get75

i4get75 New Member

That's the whole point....The phone is GPS enabled, USCC disabled it. I can understand that if they offered a map program that they wanted to sell but they don't. They don't offer anything in the way of GPS, so why did they disable it? It makes no sense. It's like buying a car that the dealer decided to take the engine out of and they tell you that you have to go buy it somewhere else.

I don't want to buy a bluetooth GPS receiver, I shouldn't have to because Motorola built the phone with one in it.
  20. n99hockey

nope i agree you shouldnt have to buy one
    its the same way with verizon (who i am with)

but it is what it is and if you want it to work then you do it