wm 6.5 upgrade?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by tedtlogan, Apr 18, 2009.

1. BigOrange

BigOrange New Member

People have installed the leaked 6.5 ROM and said it runs slow on the Q. Will not likely be released. I am happy with the 6.1 with the leaked Facebook app.
  2. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

The release or any release is usually carrier specific, yes, but that doesn't negate the option or possability to upgrade an OS anyway and run it sucessfully on any carrier's network. :) -Q
  3. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

WM6.0 can run on the orriginal Q. We do have a few Q8 owners here. Same hardware (some have a better camera)..but running WM6.0
  4. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

Always a few exceptions, Mike. You know what I'm saying. Back in the day I was able to get Windows XP running on a x386 too, but not well. :) -Q
  5. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

Microsoft has said that anything under a 400mhz processor would be hard pressed to run 6.5.
  6. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

Yes . . . and now y'all see where I'm comin' from. :) -Q
  7. cfordg

cfordg New Member

Per Alltel tech support - no 6.1 upgrade for older Q9C in sight

I got my Q9C at my local Alltel in mid-Feb, '09. Yesterday, while checking my billing on Alltel's web site, I see the Q9C is now selling (at a greatly reduced price than what I paid - sigh....) and is shipping with 6.1.

I called tech support and after a lengthy conversation with a very polite person in a far-away land was told that the Q9C's are essentially coming from the factory with 6.1 and, sorry, there are no plans to make an upgrade available at this time - or ever that he knew of.

:frown:
  8. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

BUMMER . . . but that's the way it is. Interesting though, your comment about "in a far-away land" considering that all of VZW's tech centers ire in the US. You can still flash to WM 6.1 with a bit of extra work and have a perfectly good Q9c :) -Q
  9. rfarrah

rfarrah New Member

There's GOT to be a way. Did you check Moto's website for upgrades? Sometimes tech support doesn't have the most current information.
  10. cfordg

cfordg New Member

After Alltel became Verizon

Thanks to all for their input on my WM6.0 under Alltel observations. I thought I'd follow up about what happened after Alltel became Verizon.

Just after the switchover (end of May), I contacted Verizon tech support about a ROM flash 6.0 to 6.1 DL if one was available for my Q9C. The tech was very polite and spent a good deal of time talking with me about the issue. He was unaware of any such update and if or when there would ever be one.

However, because I'd only purchased the Q9C at the end of January and needed such things as cut & paste among others, he arranged to ship me a Verizon Q9C with WM6.1 as a no cost swap (they included a FED-EX shipping tag in their box) for my Alltel unit. I had 10 days to return ship my old unit. I needed to backup my contacts, etc., but otherwise, no sweat. The new unit came without a battery or battery cover which they expected me to take off my old unit and use on the new one.

When I received the new unit, I pulled my memory card from my old unit and put it in the new one then swapped the battery and battery cover. I went to the local VZW store to have them help me get their system to recognize the new phone which took maybe 5 minutes; there were instructions on doing this with the new unit, but I couldn't figure them out.

Once I was up and running I setup sync with Google and got my contacts and calendar (no problems with contacts, but big gaps in the calendar's history ((not really an issue as I sync Thunderbird with calendar addon on my laptop with Google as well and had the old details there as needed)).

The applications had to be reinstalled to bring the registry up to date, but I keep those cab files on the memory card so there were no new downloads for that.

I dropped off my old unit at a FED-EX location and that was that.

There are some menu option changes that I've had to get used to, but overall I think the performance is a little more spry and I've had way fewer occasions when the unit seemed to lock up.

Now for some registry hacks !!!!!!!!!!!!!