WM 6.1 Update

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by ArieMcD, Apr 22, 2008.

1. ccelpjack

ccelpjack New Member

All in Good Time

From a purely business standpoint, it would seem foolhardy for AT&T to release a WM 6.1 upgrade for the Q9h when they clearly have soon to be released cell phones that will be operating on WM 6.1. I don't think that they would do anything that might hamper new sales. We likely will not see a WM 6.1 upgrade for the Q9h until they have released other WM 6.1 units. That aside, I wish the #$*&%@#$ would release WM 6.1. The Q9h has its faults, but, its keyboard is the best.
  2. Xebec

Xebec Member

I agree with that. I basically posted the same thing in another thread a few weeks ago and got flamed for it.
  3. caxx

caxx New Member

6.1 in July

I talked to a Microsoft person @ CTIA and he said AT&T will release 6.1 for the Q in July.
  4. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

I heard that one before... Come on, tell us a new joke!
  5. mbrown15

mbrown15 New Member

That would make sense if they made money on the phones. But the carrier subsidies the phone. This is why (Jr. MBAs please take note) an unlocked Q9e costs $499 and the Q9 H (Global) is free with a 2 year plan (that includes data). AT&T needs to recapture that in the subscription fees

AT&T's most effective business practice is to keep its current subscribers happy (cash flow) and attract new subscribers. Regardless of whether a new phone will have 6.1 native, it makes sense for AT&T to provide an upgrade to current subscribers to keep them on their network.
  6. Xebec

Xebec Member

Got this reply just minutes ago from Motorola when asked about the update to WM 6.1:

7. aldrichdesigner

aldrichdesigner New Member

That isn't even proper english, and i'm pretty sure if it wasn't compatible they would give you a reason why. I find it hard to believe the one of the most recent releases of the phone would not be compatible when past releases are.
  8. mbrown15

mbrown15 New Member

CSR Speak

This is no surprise. Almost certainly Moto's customer service is outsourced offshore. As such, many responses are "canned." The response above is likely the canned response for a question they have been getting quite a bit. Vague, not offensive, but also not responsive.
  9. Xebec

Xebec Member

I cut out part of their repsonse, here is their full reponse. This is twice they told me this in these words. I think it is their generic reponse. I check with both AT&T and Motorola weekly. This happened to be Moto's response for this week.

Edit: I did reply back to him and told him he was incorrect as there are at least 50 people with AT&T Q9h's running WM 6.1 since April 1st (thanks to Microsoft at CTIA). As of yet, he has not replied back.
  10. dwboston

dwboston New Member

Seems like a canned response. Since the update hasn't been released yet, they have "no official information" on it.

I do find it interesting that the email from Moto support posted claims that issues with email are the problem. There is a post over at hofo by a guy claiming he has WM 6.1 on an AT&T Q9h and he can't get his email settings to work. :gasp:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1388810
  11. mbrown15

mbrown15 New Member

I'd like to know where he got the upgrade for the Q9h in the first place
  12. Technician

Technician New Member

He could of got it from Microsoft at CTIA ???
    I am not really that sure it I am missing much any way. From what I seen it has something new about messaging and a new skin that does not work with anything other than Microsoft exchange.
  13. 47seijar

47seijar New Member

If it came from Microsoft did it un-brand the phone? I'd do it just for that. Get rid of all that AT&T crapola and I'm a happy camper. We T-Mobile users have it tough! :wink: