WM 6.1 Update

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by ArieMcD, Apr 22, 2008.

1. ArieMcD

ArieMcD New Member

WM 6.1 Update

Hello All,

Just spoke with Motorola about the release of Windows Mobile 6.1 and here is what was said:

Was due to be released this week but they ran into a snag.
    Has been re-scheduled for Week of April 28th.

I was told this information because I called inquiring about an update that available for the Q9h. Update 1.11.15

I went to Motorola > United States > All Phones > Moto Q9h > on the left select Q9h Site Map > Support > Select Phone Type > Q9h

The person I spoke with told me what the update was for. I asked about WM6.1 and he told me that it was scheduled to be released this week but they had a problem and they are shooting for next week. He then stated I should wait because 6.1 will incoporate the same fix.

Fingers crossed !!! :angry:
  2. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

You should also be aware, that WM6.1, once released by Motorola, won't be released directly to the public. It will be up to our service providers to decide when they want to release it to us. Or so I read from Moderators from the AT&T forums.
  3. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

4. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

all this info is already posted here...along with the list of carriers getting it...
    (hint hint...its att and sprint)
  5. ArieMcD

ArieMcD New Member

I typed the path to the update wrong. Here it is.

www.motorola.com >
    United States >
    Phones and Consumer Products >
    Show All Phones " It is a yellow button upper right hand side" >
    Moto Q Global "product Info" >
    Moto Q Global Site Map >
    Support "The one under "Links" >
    Update My Software >
    Mobile Phones >
    Update My Software >
    Select Phone Type

Hope This Helps
  6. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Thanks again for that link. But when I tried to install the update, it said I already have the latest version. That's probably why AT&T wasn't listed in the link I provided above. From what I read in AT&T forums, they still haven't set a release date for the WM6.1. My guess is that they will wait until the release of the new Moto Q.
  7. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

Confusion about Software Update & Windows Mobile 6.1 Update

I am new to posting here but have been reading all the postings and couldn't help but to chime in, hope you don't mind.

@ArieMcD
    Thanks for the updated path, I was kind of confused where you were going with the original post. I did notice one thing though, despite your selection of United States, when you click on the "Update my Software" link step, you notice that the country changes to United kingdom and that could explain why some people using the update available weren't able to successfully complete it.

@ninjaap
    You are probably getting that error or message because the update is offered through United Kingdom and the At&t Q9h was the latest to be released and it is safe to assume that it already contained the latest options. However, I am looking forward to the 6.1 release that Microsoft sent a message to me about. Just wondering when they are going to release it as At&t is on the release list provided by Microsoft and hoping it is soon.

One last note to everyone, I did try to apply the update myself to make sure and to reproduce @ninjaap's findings but I found out quickly and to my disappointment that since I am running x64 Vista, it is not compatible with the update software and it won't run it. I do not have my Q registered with any other machine so no way for me to test that.
  8. Xebec

Xebec Member

Yeah, well it is almost two months later and still no update. FYI, just yesterday customer service at Moto told me they have no news of the "possiblity" to upgrade to WM 6.1 for the Q9h.
  9. igotaq

igotaq New Member

10. Xebec

Xebec Member

Uh, fyi, everyone knows this already. If you check, you'll see there is NO WM 6.1 update for the Q9h yet. This is what we're complaining about. It has been completed since early May, but AT&T is holding of on releasing it for some reason.

Edit: You can click here for even fewer clicks:

https://rsddownload.motorola.com/download/AT&T_Q9h_Standalone_Update.exe

This is not a working update though, just a placeholder.
  11. NewQuser08

NewQuser08 New Member

you're right AT&T needs to get their act together. My friend has the Q9c (sprint) and he's been boasting for like 2 weeks now. i watched the little movie about the changes and i'm a bit anxious. does anyone know if the update will make the instant messenging better too... i really hate that part of the phone.

12. Xebec

Xebec Member

Actually, IM works great with the original Windows Live Messenger. AT&T forced MS to remove it so they could put in their own IM program. The reason? So they could charge text messaging for IM. With the original Live Messenger, it used the data connection and didn't count as text messages, therefor, no $$ for AT&T. Go over to xda-devs and look around. You can find the Messenger program that Microsoft intended for use Windows Mobile.
  13. 47seijar

47seijar New Member

Noob here.

I'm basically a Blackberry user who likes to try whatever is out there. I'm always searching for something better, even when I have no complaints about my current device. So I picked up a Q9h (unlocked) rather cheaply. It's mint and is probably going to make me skip the Blackberry Bold when that finally comes out.

I'm on T-Mobile for the cheap data plans and also for what has been great customer service over the past few years. But since T-Mo hasn't picked up the Q they don't support it. Will I be able to get the WM 6.1 update when it's finally released? It doesn't sound like there will be a generic version put out by MS the way Palm did for unbranded/unlocked Treo smart phones. Perhaps I can get it through my wife's account with AT&T (she's an iPhone user:angry:, but she scares me a little, so I let it go).

It looks like un-branding is no easy task either. Hell, I may just end up switching to AT&T myself, get that creamy 3G goodness, and keep the stupid branding. But if I stay with TMO, will I be able to get WM 6.1?
  14. TechMedik

TechMedik New Member

Don't know about anyone else but for shits and giggles I clicked on the moto link above and it decided to let me download a file.

It is called "att&t_q9h_standalone_update.exe" and is 55.1mb in file size.

Is this just a dummy file or an actual update for wm6 or wm6.1?

Need some info before I do anything with it.
  15. Xebec

Xebec Member

It is a place holder. It is not the actual update.
  16. Xebec

Xebec Member

Motorola now says the Q9h is not currently compatible with Windows Mobile 6.1. The following is an email I received from them yesterday:

Funny thing though, Moto is saying the Q9h is not compatible, but yet Microsoft gave away 50 AT&T branded Q9h's with WM 6.1 on them at CTIA on April 1st.
  17. Correrott

Correrott New Member

Hmmm.... makes me wonder. I went out and bought 2 of the Q9h's from AT&T yesterday and when the salesperson went to check stock he informed me that Motorola was discontinuing this particular line of phones with them. Didn't know a reason or if it would be replaced with a different model, but was pretty adament that when the stock was gone that would be it for the Q9h. Currious if the incompatability is the reason.
  18. Xebec

Xebec Member

Except for the fact that WM 6.1 has been completed for quite some time for the AT&T Q9h. Microsoft gave 50 of them away on April 1st at CTIA. These were AT&T branded Q9h's with the AT&T customizations already done. Micrisoft's website even says WM 6.1 is coming for the AT&T Q9h.
  19. farukavdiu

farukavdiu New Member

About Wm 6.1 Update

Hello,is it possible that with wm 6.1 update for motorola q9h to bo able to run wm pocket pc programs on motorola q9h??
    maybe if someone will ask them,they will make it possible,who knows it just depend from them i think
    bye
  20. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

i believe paco already answered this question and the answer is still no