Wm 6.1 is online now!

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by Dumdidum, Jul 30, 2008.

1. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Feels kinda nice. But just the same, came with a BUNCH of headaches as I gravely overlooked the fact that the majority of Q owners have no f'in clue as to what RSD is and how to flash properly. When I used to actively flash the hell out of my Moto phones back in the day, it was a different scene. People knew what they were doing, they knew the risks, and they could try a few different things before they actually flashed.

Since people were clamoring so much for 6.1, they all kinda showed their "noobness" when it came to flashing, and thats partly my fault I suppose. I provided the file yes, but I didn't realize I would need to properly instruct people to use it. It didn't really occur to me that when it comes to flashing, not too many folks had any idea what they were doing. A lot of people are lucky that they didn't end up with bricked phones....

Theres some dangerous threads out there (this thread being a prime example, look at the title), and people are going to end up downloading the wrong file and voila, a nice paperweight.

So yeah its great, but the moral side kinda hits you too. Its kinda like letting a kid play with a loaded gun. "Uh oh's" are inevitable....
  2. Xebec

Xebec Member

Serious, it is not that hard. I am a "Moto" noob (the Q9h is my first Moto phone) and I had no problems flashing the phone. It worked on the first attempt. I'm not sure why I didn't have the "driver" issues that many people are encountering. I downloaded RSD 4.2 ran it and pointed it to the flash file and it worked first time.

BTW, word is AT&T is now saying the "official" update will be released on August 22nd.
  3. George Knighton

George Knighton New Member

LOL.... That's pretty much the one thing that went right for me.

I knew all about RSDLite, but editing a registry on a phone was completely new to me. My previous experience has been with Linux phones (V8) and Synergy phones (V9). The Q9 is a sign that I had to finally give up and get a smartphone to do what I wanted.

It's actually a little easier making customisations on the Q, once you get used to it.

Don't be deterred. Everybody appreciates your efforts very much. We're all just a little dumber than even you could have imagined. :)

If it helps any, the boards devoted to Synergy and Linux Motorolas is also filled with the most incredibly silly actions and circumstances.

It's 2008, on the way to 2009. We just want to push buttons. We don't want to think about anything.

Have you told the moderators you think it's dangerous?
  4. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

nope.. (10char)
  5. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

we are aware.. and are discussing how to deal with this "mess".
  6. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

Did you have the Motorola Update software installed?

I'm betting you did.
  7. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

Well, the only barriers I had was finding where i saved an old install of RSDLite, then realizing that it was way out of date and the fact that I had to put my phone in bootloader mode.

I used to flash (get yer minds out da gutter) my razr all the time. I used to be at motomodders.net and I was always trying out monsterpacks and seem editing and the like. When my gf got a razr from a friend I unlocked it, flashed a new pack to it, and modded the hell out of it. It was almost as pretty as mine when I was done.

Don't sweat it Mexiken, you did a good job and a bunch of folks all helped where they could. It's easy to get caught up in the excitement and not realize that many out there may not have the experience under their belt.
    I just got my replacement Qh in the mail and I cant wait to get 6.1 on it

Man, my new sliding panels homescreen is so sweet that I had a 3g Iphone user on the bus next to me staring in envy as I made sure to slowly scroll thru the panels. He was even more envious when I told him that we can create/modify our own panels.
  8. Xebec

Xebec Member

You are correct. I did have it installed. I was checking it every other day to see if the update to 6.1 was released.
  9. mexiken

mexiken New Member

You're one of the few who encountered absolutely no problems.
  10. mexiken

mexiken New Member

I wasn't blasting anybody, it just didn't dawn on me that most people didn't already have the proper drivers installed, that RSD was so hard to get (I got my copy from a constant flasher), and so it just kinda slipped on me. And it turns out to be a pain, with so many different setups. Problem is, the consequences of this are a dead phone.

I feel you on the button pushing thing.

I didn't, someone else did. And I'm glad they did.

See the announcement ???? Glad they put that up.
  11. mexiken

mexiken New Member

LOL, I just got my replacement one too, lol. The ambient light sensor "went out" on mine, lol :wink:
  12. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

I was pleasnantly surprised. They said I'd be getting a refurbished phone but this one looks brand new. Not a scratch, mark or dent. There is more plastic on this than my current Q had when I first got it. There is no dirt or residue on the soft key/ nav pad area. No matter how much I tried I could never get it completely clean.
    I suspect I got a new phone.. and thankfully so cause the I key is also starting to go on this one.
  13. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Don't mean to burst your bubble, but unless it comes in a brand new box, its not actually brand new. Its just been made to look brand new. The internal parts have technically had electrons flowing through them before, or another way to look at it, someone held the "works" of that phone before you.

They typically replace the casing. If it came as just the phone, no battery, no charger, like mine did, then you got a refurb.

Don't fret though, they carry the same warranty, and they work just as well, I don't care what anyone says. I've had more experience with refurb phones, and plain out used phones, more than most. I've never kept a brand new phone for more than 3 or 4 months. Refurbs work well. They just have a bad reputation. And its easy to blame it on the fact that its a refurb.
  14. theonemanarmy

theonemanarmy New Member

Mexiken I've just update my phone to 6.1 (unlocked version) but still I'm wondering if they are going to release the 6.1 version here in the Philippines. I've already tried to contact Motorola about this but them support guys can't give me a clear answer.

Thanks!
  15. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

I don't think it's Motorola who makes that decision, but the carrier...

potQ9c
  16. theonemanarmy

theonemanarmy New Member

Moto Q9h is available here unlocked, it is not being sold under any carrier. Does this mean that there's no chance that 6.1 will be available here unless some carrier decides to sell Moto Q9h under their brand?