WM 6.1 Home Page Right Softkey Will Not Change

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by mikelisa, Aug 27, 2008.

1. mikelisa

mikelisa New Member

WM 6.1 Home Page Right Softkey Will Not Change

I just installed WM 6.1 (I think, I've not yet found out how to determine what I'm running in this new system) from the Motorola site. There are quite a few nice changes and some very perplexing ones. The biggest pain is that when I change the right softkey on the home page nothing happens. It remains as "contacts" (or in some cases, varies depending on where you are on the screen. Does anyone have an idea what I need to do to get my softkey to change. I REALLY don't need a right softkey for "contacts" when I have a hard button for it on the phone! Thanks for any help. Mike
  2. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

the right softkey is controlled by chome panels. if you want the right softkey you will have to choose a homescreen without panels on it.
  3. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

If you want to change right soft key for panels, you have to do so in the registry using a reg editor. No user friendly way to do it.
  4. RichS

RichS Member

Anyone know the reg key to do this?
  5. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Here's how to change rsk for the first panel (CClock). Follow the reg path HKLM\Software\Microsoft\CHome. Change SK2TEXT to the name of your intended app target. I put mine as TASKS. Now the hard part, you have to figure out the SK2URL, which is the exe file of your intended app target. Two ways to do this, (1) look through windows folder through all the exe files; take an educated guess, task manager is taskmgr.exe. Or follow path to (2) HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Shell\Rai. In the Rai folder there are preset urls that point to their respected files.

If you want to do method 1, you simply put \windows\taskmgr.exe under SK2URL. If you want to do method 2, you would put :MSTASKMGR under SK2URL. You may need to reboot phone. Not always though.
  6. RichS

RichS Member

Thanks ninjaap! I checked the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Shell\Rai tree but could not find an entry for Speed Dial. So went to Option 1 and looked through the Windows directory and I can't find the Speed Dial Exe, the only thing I can find is the Link location which does not work.

Do you or anyone else know where the executable is for the Speed Dial App?
  7. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Here is what I have figured out so far. Not all apps have an exe file in windows; speed dial being one of them. Some of them are handled by appman.exe. It was apparent because when I ran speed dial and recent programs (mru), they showed up in task manager. And if you switch to process view there are two appman.exe listed. Writing \windows\appman.exe in SK2URL will do nothing.

Looking through the registry HCR\SpeedDial\CLSID you will find {2D8EBDEE-437C-47c9-ABCC-F169E5E781D0}. I'm guessing you would somehow need to extract this. I have no idea how to do that.
  8. RichS

RichS Member

Thanks for the update, sorry for the late response. I'm still trying to figure this out too.
  9. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

ditto here... will go dig in the registry shortly.

thx.