WM 5.0 Desperately Needed

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by 1stGenQ, Jan 14, 2010.

1. 1stGenQ

1stGenQ New Member

WM 5.0 Desperately Needed

Hello

I'm desperately seeking the latest, which would be the last, software update for WM5 for my Moto Q. My carrier is Telus and I've been searching all over several different forums for two days straight with no luck.

Basically I'm looking at needing to do a manual flash myself as I've been to the Telus site, and Motorola site with no luck. I've downloaded and installed software from those two sites for updating over the net but what I need is no longer available from them. I believe this is due to the fact of how old my Q is, that being the first generation model.

I would like to go to a newer model and upgrade but unfortunately I cannot because of the economy and lack of funds and all that sort of stuff.

As far as I know the latest or last software or firmware update is:

Motorola Version Info
    Microsoft Windows Mobile Version 5.0
    Radio Version Q2-BP_C_06.09.01P, Q2 Portable
    RIL Version 2.000
    OS 5.1.195 (Build 14960.2.4.0)

Now it is possible that I may stand corrected on this info and there possibly may be even something newer out there. My current software version is:

Motorola Version Info
    Microsoft Windows Mobile Version 5.0
    Radio Version Q2-BP_c_04.09.07P, Q2 Portable
    RIL Version 2.000
    OS 5.1.70 (Build 14523.1.3.0)

I have used two different Q's with both of these software versions so I know first had the difference between them. The one I was using before is in pieces and no longer operational and my replacement has the older, slower software on it.

I have no clue what programs to use to flash the newer software or what is all involved. Like if there is a monster file with everything in, do I only need the newer software, or is there firmware, or a newer ROM, or something else I don't know about yet.

I do have a USB cable that I am using to teather to my PC with all the necessary drivers. And I have been transferring files and installed Resco and started getting into registry hacks.

I'm hoping that I'm not SOL and someone out there can help as I'm stuck with Telus as my carrier and the best to my knowledge I can't use anything from Verizon.

Thank you in advance.
  2. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Active Member

I'm totally confused. I would offer to send you my Q1 but the shipping would prolly cost more than re-upping your contract and getting a free new phone.
  3. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

Th ROM file should be on the interwebs somplace. Try looking for moster flash files, then pick the one that you need.

RSDlite is the flashing software and can be had for free.

WM5 only had 3-4 MOL updates depending on carrier.
  4. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

i dont think i read why you want to do this?
    there is no gain what so ever

and the reason why Moto and Telus didnt work is because the phone is out of warrenty
  5. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

if it is sluggish.. try using SKlite and cleaning out the temp files

WM5 is it, the MOL updates don't make it faster/better. They mainly fixed minor glitches for the US carriers.
  6. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

at one point i wished i could revert my Q to the earliest MOL...more solid! sounds like maybe your second Q with newer MOL had issues....

and sorta like berry said...id send you my Q (thats in retirement) with an older MOL..but in my case its not able to move to another carrier. move on I say!!!
  7. 1stGenQ

1stGenQ New Member

Thank you for the input guys.

All I know is that my old Moto Q with the newest software version is better and faster than my replacement with the older version. A big noticeable difference in my opinion. I even did a master reset on my replacement Q to hopefully dung it out but it didn't really do anything.

I'm not on any contract as I don't have the finances to do so even though it's not an issue for myself to make every monthly payment. It would be cool to upgrade to the latest and greatest and I'm sure Telus would love to put myself back on another contract. Plus I feel much better not being stuck in a contract either as I think the service providers up here in Canada are killing us on costs and fees. I look forward to the day when some serious competition shows up and is willing to cut costs by 50%.

This first generation moto q is good enough for me and the only reason why I have it is because I'm force to by my job.

I have been searching all over the net since I first posted this message looking for any available updates. And no luck at all unfortunately for what I'm specifically looking for.

And I would like to thank bberryhill0 and TreeFrog for being thoughtful.

I think my next best option is to start looking into registry hacks and see how far that might get me. Lol.