WLS vs. Google Maps

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by dentite, Feb 2, 2008.

1. dentite

dentite New Member

WLS vs. Google Maps

Here is my assessment of the WLS vs. Google maps dilemma.

WLS pros
    1. Fairly precise
    2. I like the beep which prompts the user to turn before the actual intersection. The beep is interactive enough for me to catch my attention as to the next turn/move.
    3. I like how the directions update as you move along, adding to the interactivity of the program.
    4. If one were to become lost off the directions, there is a reroute feature.
    5. The symbol used to indicate your postion is easily visible and can easily be followed. Good for when driving.
    6. The Gas prices, movie, and search menus are useful.
    7. When you use the center on GPS option, the map automatically zooms in on the small streets and location
    Cons
    1. The program really interferes and bogs the phone down, making for an extremely laggy phone.
    2. Cannot use task manager to kill the WLS application, you have to actually go into the program and exit.
    3. Too many steps to perform a search and then use your GPS to get directions, especially when compared to GPS, which has the GPS location in the directions menu and will calculate GPS location and route simultaneously. IN WLS you have to set your GPS location then get directions. Trust me on this one.
    4. too many menus. Could be a lot more simple.
    Google
    Pros
    1. Extremely fast search engine and accurate.
    2. Will locate GPS quicker than WLS.
    3. If you don't like the map, you can use actual satellite pictures.
    4. will route direction fast using GPS, as mentioned above.
    5. GPS extermely accurate
    6. Very stable program no glitches, unlike WLS. Will not bog your phone down at all.
    Cons
    1. The symbol used to identify your GPS location is too small, at times difficult to locate when driving.
    2. No beep to prompt the user to the next direction.
    3. Not very interactive. While driving you have to manually hit 6 to get the next set of directions.
    4. Does not zoom automatically when you use GPS function.
    5. No extra features, Gas, Movies, and etc.

The winner in my estimation is WLS. Feature filled applications and interactivity, if you can get past it bogging your phone down., makes for a decent program. My last car was an Acura TL and it had the factory GPS, so my assessments are based on my experience with an actual GPS unit from Acura. Acura's GPS is award winning. Now I have an Audi A4, with no GPS so the phone comes in hand. Hope that helps
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

thanks for the review
  3. bubbatex

bubbatex New Member

Have you had either reset your phone yet? Both have reset mine during use. Otherwise, they both work great and I pretty much agree with your pro's/con's of each. Good review.
  4. JMak

JMak New Member

Good review, but the above poster, has either WLS or Google freeze your phone or have your phone go back to the home screen?

For example, this afternoon I was using Google and after about 10 minutes the screen just went blank. It had a full battery charge prior to starting Google. Add to that when I pressed the home key nothing happened. The phone had completely shut off and I couldn't turn it back on until I removed the battery and reinstalled it. This was a first with Google. Typically it's WLS that after about 10-15 minutes will black out the screen and essentially exit the program.

Quite frustrating.
  5. bubbatex

bubbatex New Member

JMak - well, kinda. WLS did freeze when I pressed the Home key, but I was able to get back to Home eventually and I just turned the phone off and back on. Google was working fine and just, boom, did a reset.

I also had the phone reset itself this evening for no apparent reason. I have a lot of programs installed and hacks completed, so I will be reviewing over the next few days.
  6. NeoteriX

NeoteriX Member

Nice review. I don't know if the problem affects WLS too, but for whatever reason, Google Maps messes with the light sensor on my Q9c, so whenever I use it, the keypad never lights up. Kind of a pain in the butt when you're trying to find where you are going in the middle of the night.
  7. madmax2k1

madmax2k1 New Member

I have the same issue; the light sensor stops working when I'm using WLS or Google Maps. The only way to get the keyboard to light up with these 2 programs is to disable the light sensor ...:embarassed: