Wired headset (2.5mm) use possible on Q9h?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by Intrepid4, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Intrepid4

Intrepid4 New Member

Wired headset (2.5mm) use possible on Q9h?

Hi all. Although this is my first post, I have come to realize through frequent visits to this site, that this place is home to a vast amount of knowledge that just isn't available anywhere else. And for that I am very grateful.

To jump right in to the dilemma that I'm having, would someone be able to please enlighten me as to whether it is possible to, through a series of adapters, use a 2.5mm wired headset with the Q9h? Whether the health concerns are real, only perceived, or even imagined, I'd prefer to get my head as far away from the RF source as possible and thus avoid BT headsets altogether. Using the microUSB to 3.5mm adapter that AT&T provided with my Q, is it a simple matter of finding a 3.5 to 2.5mm adapter, however ungainly it proves, to link in a daisy chain to complete the connection to the headset, or is this not even possible.

Calls to Motorola for help have been met with confusion and ultimately a circular carousel trip through a myriad of departments as one tech after another hands me off to the next, resulting in a loss of sanity on my part. Searching on Amazon reveals that there are supposedly two ring and three ring adapters, with three-ring apparently necessary for the mic capability of the headset. While, a search through this site, finally yielded one post that seemed to suggest that voice feedback through the microUSB to 3.5 mm adapter was not even possible, regardless of what other adapter you may have connected to complete the loop.

While I realize the easiest route would be to pick up an OEM microUSB headset, I'd prefer to have a quality solution that both I and the person on the other end would appreciate (a small-sized boom, and noise reduction wouldn't hurt either).

Thanks as always for the knowledge and sorry for the long post!
  2. Boycan

Boycan New Member

IMHO there is no more proof that phones can harm you then there is that they won't. So why worry tv's, laptops, microwaves and who knows what else probably put out more radiation.
  3. sherri

sherri Active Member

Intrepid4, it can't hurt to try! I don't know where you are located (I'm mobile, as usual...) but if you are in the US, you are never too far from a Radio Shack. Pick up one of the adapters, and try it. It costs under $20.00, and if it doesn't work, can be returned.

The 3 ring vs. 2 ring debate is ongoing...I have a 2 ring adapter. (The "male" part has 2 black plastic rings, and gets plugged into my phones earphone spot.) The other end is the "female" end, where I plug in either i-pod ear buds (3.5mm) or speakers (also 3.5 mm). The adapter itself has a mic built in, so if phone rings, I just hit "answer" and speak.

I know you need the extra adapter because your phone does not have the 2.5mm spot... Try the usb adapter you have with one like I described. Scott and others keep telling me that I need 3 black rings, but when I try that, it always triggers the voice recognition on the phone....Best Buy sells the adapter I have.

Good luck and Welcome to the family!
  4. George Knighton

George Knighton New Member

I've tried a number of headsets using this solution, and none of them have worked.

If you find a solution, please let us know.
  5. dwboston

dwboston New Member

6. George Knighton

George Knighton New Member

I've tried, but, no. If anybody finds a 2.5 that works w/an adapter, I'd love to hear about it.
  7. stormymemphis

stormymemphis New Member

A few weeks ago I bought a wired headset directly from an AT&T store that has the micro USB connection. I got it for only $5 because they're being discontinued. Maybe you can still find some at your local stores by calling around, otherwise check ebay.