WinMo 6.1 tethering in Windows 7... the phone charges!!

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by kareljack, Sep 9, 2009.

1. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

WinMo 6.1 tethering in Windows 7... the phone charges!!

I apologize if this has been covered before, but unlike Windows XP, the Q's battery will charge while tethered via usb/Internet Connection Sharing.
    The only drawback is that the phone, even when not sharing it's internet connection, does not fully charge even though you get the full charge indicator in the upper right of the homescreen. But you do get an 80% charge and at least the battery does not run out while tethered.
  2. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Active Member

Hmm.. I think my Vista computer keeps my Q9c charged while tethered. I haven't tethered for a month or so but I do seem to remember being surprised that my phone wasn't completely charged after tethering.
  3. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

I never made the switch to Vista so I am probably way behind the curve here.
    I remember that the phone charged during tethering under WinMo 6.0 and how upset I was when that was no longer the case under 6.1

Much better experience under Windows 7...
  4. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Good info. Thanks kareljack. I have w7 on my latop now. Never really paid attention to the last couple times I've tetherd.
  5. Xebec

Xebec Member

That is odd, mine charges while tethered under WinXP.
  6. gnath9

gnath9 New Member

So does mine !!!

sent from my Q9c
  7. Horacio Granero

Horacio Granero New Member

It may look like it is charging, like the keys are glowing on and off, but it is not actually charging in XP or W7. Tested many times on both. Once you disconnect from the internet though, it does start charging normally.
  8. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

Sorry, but I disagree. I have tethered then surfed for hours and when I disconnect, the battery has a near full charge.
    I've also tethered when the battery only has one bar left, surfed, left it connected, came back and surfed, left it again and when I disconnected a couple hours later the battery was again almost fully charged.
    As I mentioned before, it won't fully charge the battery for some reason although the phone will give that indication. At most, you get a 3/4 charge but that is just fine by me.
  9. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Went to the niner game, tethered for a few hours to watch the morning games on sling player on my PC. Mine charged up just as karekjack mentioned. Don't forget that USB only gives you a trckle charge. So it will take a lot longer than a wall charger.
  10. Horacio Granero

Sorry but I disagree with both of you. Download a 1 gigabyte file and tell me how many bars you have left, if any. Maybe when you are just surfing the internet, the web pages are really small. But if you download a giant file, it will not charge at all while downloading is taking place. I have tested it many times.
    Go to Netflix or something and download a movie, see how many bars you have left. And if you reboot your phone after tethering, check your battery, you will see that you don't have as large a charge as you think or as you had before rebooting.
  11. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

Download a 1 gb file with the connection speeds of a tethered phone???
    Uhhh... no. I've done 200-300 Mb files, but nothing above that.
    But I will say that during my tethered surfing I do view movie trailers and video clips and sometimes watch Hulu. They are not 1gb files but they aren't small webpages either.
    Plus, how do you explain the fact that I sometimes tether when I only have one bar of battery left and when I am done a couple hours later I am back up to three bars?? That's called charging.. no other explanation.
    If your phone does not charge while tethered then that's on you - and whoever else is similarly affected - but you are in no position to tell me that *my* phone doesn't charge. I am the one using it.. not you.
    Well look at that..I started tethering with just about 2 bars of power and now I am up to three bars.. it's a miracle, it's sorcery..the Devil's work.
  12. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Right, and me streaming 3 hrs of live tv over 3G only produces a couple KB...
  13. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

haha...good points! jack jaap! =)
  14. Horacio Granero

Sorry but I don't believe you guys at all. Stop telling stories or your mommy will spank you. Although mine is an older original Q, the hardware can't be that different. Watching movies, downloading 300 mb files, all at the same time. Come on guys you can do better than that. Gotta luv the internet where everyone is rich, handsome and can download mb's of stuff all while watching your favorite shows. Does your Q also wash your dog and cut your lawn for you too? Lol what bs...
  15. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

pretty sure all they are saying is their phones charge while tethered..even when downloading or streaming. unlike your original q for some reason..
  16. bberryhill0

I am not on a Q1 so it is entirely possible that my experience is different than Horacio's. But I could be wrong. Maybe my phone does die while tethered and I am hallucinating that my computer is still connected.

Edit: Wait a minute. How long does it take to download a 1GB file? Two or three days?
  17. Horacio Granero

Ha Ha....exactly. Had to cancel Comcast so I was stuck downloading W7 RC through this 3G connection. Impossible, 3 days is a good guess. But I gave up long before that because my mother #$%&!! phone would keep discharging after 3 or 4 hours of trying to download W7. Maybe it is because I have 2 or so year old original Moto Q9h. Maybe the new ones have some kind of hardware improvement that mine never came with. But you know what? I still would never get rid of this phone until it's dead and will no longer function. With normal use I can get 2 or 3 days of battery life, which even the newer phones have a hard time handling. And I haven't seen anything compelling enough, except maybe one of the new HTC phones that have a 4 inch screen, to make a switch yet.
  18. bberryhill0

Umm... Go to Starbucks. Pay $5 for a latte and use their wifi.
  19. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

Never said that I was "Watching movies, downloading 300 mb files, all at the same time". If you could kindly point out where I said that, that would be interesting.

First you say you have an original Q, then you say you have a Q9h..which is it?? Cause those are two very different phones.
    In any case, if you want to continue calling me a liar and saying that I am full of BS, then that's on you. I don't have to prove anything to you. I know for a fact that my phone charges when it is tethered.
  20. Horacio Granero

Umm...excuse me the Moto 9Qh doesn't have WiFi dummy. :dft011:tounge_out
    Go to Walmart, pay $12.95, get some new sneakers and Ginko Biloba.

I have a Moto 9Qh. You guys win this savage internet war we are having, I'm too tired to keep fighting you internet thugs. I hope you're happy! You won't convince me I'm wrong and I won't convince you I'm right, so.....

Now I will go to Starbucks and get that latte....ummmmm yummy!!!!!! :dft009:smile