Windows XP vs Vista??

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by sherri, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Peregrine

Peregrine Member

Well considering I have the exact same laptop that Sherri is looking at I think I know what I am talking about. Why would I lie CTSluder? You think I am just making this up? Maybe there is something else going on with your daughters laptop that makes it lag.

While we are talking about RAM I also only have 1 GIG of RAM in my desktop computer running Windows Vista Ultimate. No lag. Runs like a ROCK and that IS my Video game machine..,.
  2. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

i did not say it would last twice as long.. nor did i mean that. i merely gave her my opinion and i agree with myself :}

when i started i ran ms dos 2.11... yah.
  3. Peregrine

Peregrine Member

2.11? Either your older then me or you started when you were 6. ;)

That's my point, though. If it WOULD last twice as long it WOULD be worth twice the price. But it might only last a year longer. NOT worth twice the price.
  4. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

ps. no reason to make this personal (even if it is about a personal computer).. perhaps we can respect each others opinion.
  5. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

you're not impressed that i started messing with pc's when 2.11 was hot ? :}
  6. Peregrine

Peregrine Member

(Read my edit)

I'm not trying to make this personal, sorry if it comes across that way.
    But we all know someone that like has no room left on the hard drive and blames MS because his computer runs slow.

Sorry CTSluder. No offense intended.

Just trying to save Sherri some money and I really believe in that base model Dell AND that Vista can run just fine for the average person on one gig of RAM. 3 is certainly overkill for what she needs.
  7. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

thank you Peregrine...
  8. sherri

sherri Active Member

Thank you all sooo much! Dell is now telling me that the XP Downgrade won't be available for much longer! I have no desire to be forced into buying "today", so my hand may be forced to go with Vista!

I appreciate all you help and opinions. Richard always likes me to have the best (in his mind, more expensive = better!) but we will see!
  9. Vazguard

Vazguard Active Member

Whoo, got a little heated in here lol.

I always try to balance price with features. That's why when I bought my Asus G1s last year, it was a lot of computing power for its price, which is what I was looking for. Most other comparable laptops were hundreds and hundreds more, so I think I chose well.
  10. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

it cooled down, 'cuz we have great members here at EQ.

sherri: i know you will, but keep us posted what's decided..
  11. Peregrine

Peregrine Member

OMG STOP. It wasn't heated. I didn't bold anything or use CAPS or !!!!!!!

I apologized if anyone THOUGHT I was ticked by my reply... I wasn't and didn't mean to come across like that.
  12. Vazguard

Vazguard Active Member

lol just messin' :laugh:
  13. sherri

sherri Active Member

Will do! Thanks again, everyone!
  14. Peregrine

Peregrine Member

Ok NOW I'm getting pissed! :tounge:

Want me to shoot a video of my lag-free laptop Sherri? hehehe
  15. ctsluder

ctsluder New Member

My fault sorry I did not mean to start a fire and I was not trying to be disrespectful, I was thinking and typing out loud at the thought of 1 gig and thinking about daughter laptop. sorry

I understand that it would save her money now but if she gets a laptop with 1 gig then she needs to make sure she can add some later if she needs to.
  16. Vazguard

Vazguard Active Member

Yes, since I've found that 2GB is the standard today, in the future 2GB might will be obsolete, so you will need a way to upgrade in order to use some products down the road.
  17. Peregrine

Peregrine Member

Blech. I shot a video on my Q but our forum won't let me upload .3G2 files. :(

Well, here's a picture of 2 Vista computers running with 1 Gig of RAM. lol I am even running Dreamscene content on my Desktop (which means a video is running as my wallpaper, only available in Vista Ultimate).

Oh, and I thought the 1525 had Home Premium... mine does.
    What's up with that?!?

WAIT STOP THE PURCHASE. I take back PART of what I said, Sherri. DO NOT, repeat not, get the base model 1525, just re-checked Dell's website. They have changed things since I got my 1525. When you go to Dell and click on the laptop picture at top, the 4 models come up. Back when I got my 1525 it had the Dual Core (which is a must) processor and Vista Premium. Apparently they stripped some stuff from the 1525 to make room for the rest of their models. The 1525 now comes with a Celeron processor and Vista Basic. Celeron = SUCKY!

Get the base model $599 next to it. The Studio 15 with Vista Home Premium. That is just like my 1525 except it comes with 2 Gigs of RAM and a slightly larger hard drive. Get that one. There, that ends the RAM discussion. I think everyone can agree that 2 gigs is fine?

GAWD, I am so glad I took a better look at that. The 1525 base model sucks now.

No camera anymore either. Wow. I think I know what happened. I got the 1525 when it first came out so Dell was willing to take a loss on it to move them, they were better equipped. Now that they've sold some they came out with other models and stripped the 1525.

Highly recommend the red, too. Bleh, hair's a mess and I need a shave, but what the hell...

Attached Files:

18. Peregrine

Peregrine Member

Geez, why were we even discussing 1 gig when the 1525 comes standard with 2 now (well, because mine did... lol)?? I've never seen Dell change a model like that. I just assumed that 1525 was just like mine.

AND my wife reminded me that we paid $599 for my 1525 back then. Used my Bush Bucks to buy it.

DOH! Sorry for the 1 gig sidetrack. Although mine runs fine with 1, I am not so sure a Celeron Processor would (which is why I am sure that one comes with a Celeron and Vista Basic... it wouldn't run Premium).

Lastly I double-checked the Windows Mobile Device page at Microsoft:

This new version of the Windows Mobile Device Center contains key improvements and new features to support Windows Mobile 6 devices. The Windows Mobile Device Center:

• Combines an efficient business-data synchronization platform with a compelling user experience.
    • Enables you to set up new partnerships, synchronize content and manage music, pictures and video with Windows Mobile powered devices (Windows Mobile 2003 or later).
    • Helps you to synchronize business-critical information such as e-mail, contacts and calendar appointments, easily manage your synchronization settings, and transfer business documents between your device and PC.
    The Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1 is only supported on Windows Vista.

Why would the Dell guy claim it won't work?!?!?
  19. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

OT: sherri tell me your secret, how do you start a thread and have/get so many replies ? :}

potQ9c
  20. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

she is hotter then you [ ]D