Windows XP vs Vista??

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by sherri, Oct 29, 2008.

1. sherri

sherri Active Member

Windows XP vs Vista??

Ok. You people are the smartest, most tech savvy people out there. I want to get a laptop for myself, so my kids don't throw me off the pc for homework. I need/want it mainly for internet, downloading and transferring music to the Q, and downloading/transferring my Tivo recordings from my wireless network to the laptop so I can watch them anywhere.

I don't want to spend a fortune (as low as possible, but something decent). I have read about many problems with Vista, so I think a Dell is the only pc manufcturer that offers a "downgrade" for extra money to install Windows XP Professional. They include backup discs for both XP and discs for Vista.

Can you offer some reccomendations? XP over Vista? I searched on the pc before kids got home from school, and googled "XP vs Vista". Obviously, Microsoft is touting how wonderful Vista is, but most other "unbiased" sites likes XP.

I have Windows Office student and teacher 2003 edition, and I was told this won't work with Vista, so I would need to purchase Word 2007. My discs include Word 2003/Excel/and Powerpoint. Is it true this won't work on Vista?

Any help and thoughts is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
  2. Vazguard

Vazguard Active Member

I used XP for a long time and I probably had more problems with it than Vista. But then again, I installed a lot of software and never bothered to clean it. When I got my new laptop for college, it came with Vista. So far, I've probably had the same amount of random problems as the next person. I really don't see anything better in either. One thing you have to keep in mind is that Vista is the newer OS, so newer software will likely be more compatible. Also, its superfetch feature allows the computer to 'break in,' taking your usage and tuning itself to work faster.

XP has been established as a great OS though. It is pretty solid and is smaller in total file size.

So I think it all comes down to what you like. Maybe someone with more expertise has better points to share.

As for Office 2003 on Vista, I did a quick search of "MS Office 2003 on Vista" and there are plenty of sites that show you how to install it and get it to run, such as this one. If it doesn't work for you, at least you tried it. A good alternative if you don't want to pay for MSO2007 is OpenOffice.org, which is free and includes entire suite of programs extremely similar to the MSO suite--and it looks a lot like MSO2003.
  3. sherri

sherri Active Member

Thanks, Vazguard. The Dell looks like it has all I want. I'll make a decision in the next couple of weeks!
  4. Vazguard

Vazguard Active Member

Good luck!
  5. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

i am running Offices 2003 on a Vista laptop... it installed without me having to preform any "tricks", so far Vista has been treating me very good.. only one issue with a Lexmark all-in-one printer. everything else i throw at it (which is alot) works without problems...

people just seem to wanna b*tch when ever M$ releases a new version..

Vista has been around long enough for most if not all problems to be resolved..

good luck.
  6. Boycan

Boycan New Member

sorry bout the caps again when I reply mobile I have to guess when I am in caps because my display shows all caps all the time a 6.1 thing I think :-\<p>Funny I have problems with my lexmark and my vista laptop too everytime I HOOK UP TO IT IT ACTS LIKE IT IS THE FIRST TIME IT HAS SEEN IT AND DOWNLOADS NEW DRIVERS EVERYTIME, NO PROBS WITH ANY OTHER PRINTERS I have hooked to tho :)
    </p>
  7. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

it appears to be a Lexmark issue, as other printers i have work fine...

oh the issue i have with the Lexmark, i can print one job which does not delete and just sits there in the spool and prevents other jobs from printing, a reboot spits out the next job.. which of course is pretty annoying... hence why i now use another printer :}
  8. sherri

sherri Active Member

Do you think Dell is a good computer then?
  9. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

had a simmilar print issue with W2K + lexmark. Ended up using a generic HP driver as suggested by the lexmark tech guy. *shrugs* Worked just fine after that

only issue I hve with Vista is that it likes to import every pic & video I have when using the card reader. This is after selecting for it not to. Glad I checked behind myself, else..... :/
  10. Geekster

Geekster New Member

Dell is a good computer...
    I/we have fixed Dell PC's in the past & a very easy company to work with.
    I don't like Vista all that much, it creates more problems than it should but once you "turn off" some stuff it's not bad. * Vista= XP ME*
    Widge-it (or whatever it was called) side bar was the first thing to go!!!
    If it comes pre-installed with Norton, dump it, get the clean-up tool from Norton's site and run it and get a better/different anti-virus software.
    Have fun with new PC, sherri!!!!
    *refraining from saying that stupid commercial thing*
  11. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

IM A PC and im sitting on an airplane!:p
    (sorry...had to)

-Sent from my Q9c
  12. cindra

cindra Active Member

I've been running Vista for over a year with no problems. If you turn off the User Account Control, it behaves just like XP. I also have Office 2003 Student and Teachers Edition running on it just fine.

I did have a scanner that gave me issues, but it was because the company never issued any new drivers for it. It was time for a new scanner, anyway! :tounge: Like rb said, Vista has been out long enough now that most everyone has gotten with the program.

I don't think you'd be unhappy with it. (I heard Dell charged extra for XP. Don't know if it's true, but I sure wouldn't pay more for older stuff!!)

Good luck!
  13. I8qbert

I8qbert Active Member

i would check the pc's specs if you plan on using vista. with all the bells and wistles vista can be a resource hog. IMO xp is stable and has had years to be patched and "tuned". Unless you really want the Aero gui i would stay with xp.
    Sent from a nonbluejacked Q
  14. Geekster

Geekster New Member

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!
    Now that one was good!!!
    Sheesh....only you would come up with that!!! :laugh2:
  15. Geekster

Geekster New Member

And turn off DEP. That is one big resource hog. You aren't going to do anything illegal are you?
    And go to www.blackviper.com & look under your Vista version, he has done all the tests on what services you can turn off safely with a description of each one. A little time consuming but well worth it in performance and speed.
  16. sherri

sherri Active Member

No, nothing illegal at all! I want to buy a brand new laptop (never had my own...only "family" pc in the home office, and Richard's laptop...sick of being kicked off by kids needing pc to do homework)...

I looked at Hewlett Packards/Gateway (which I hate their customer service...)/Sony/Dell/Toshiba and Macs.

Don't really want a Mac, so that left the rest. Used to Dell, because office pc's are Dells. Excellent customer service. Dell normally comes pre-installed with Windows Vista Home edition, but for $99.00 extra, they will install Windows XP Professional instead. They provide discs for both XP and for the Vista OS, so if I feel that I want the Vista, I can install it later. They offered an upgraded memory package...can get all I want (in a red color that I wanted! with a wireless mouse to match!) for app. $900 (including taxes and shipping...)

I know if I just wanted Vista I can do it for about $300 less, because Dell is having a special. Does this price seem outrageous? I hate Richard's laptop (Gateway w/ Vista) so that experience makes me want XP.

Thanks so much for all your help, everyone!
  17. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

the price is only high if you think it is... i bought this Sony Vaio for ~ $700.00, but it did not come with XP and Vista, just Vista.. if mine wasn't for work i would run either Red Hat or Ubuntu, actually... if i would get a private laptop it would probably be a Mac :}

so there... once again i was no help :}
  18. sherri

sherri Active Member

How do you get Ubuntu as an operating system? Is it free?
  19. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

yup... i run it dual-boot on this Vaio, nice thing is that i installed it as an app, so i can un-install it rather easily, plus i am able to access all my Windows files from Ubuntu.

http://www.everythingq.com/forum/off-topic/ubuntu-27386.html
  20. sherri

sherri Active Member

Think I will end up with the Dell and XP. Will try Ubuntu on my home pc, which is currently on its last legs, and running a trial version of XP Pro...