Windows XP Dial up networking bluetooth or tethering

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by jasoninaz, May 11, 2008.

1. bige1919

bige1919 New Member

Thats understandable, but the whole point is that like you said in the contract it says unlimited data for the phone only. I think they made a mistake in allowing people to use this feature as they wish, if they don't want people to use it a lot. Using another analogy, it seems like putting candy in front of a baby, telling them not to eat it, and then leaving. what do you think the baby will do? So there is also a whole other moral argument to this thing. In my view that is ATT's fault for even allowing consumers to make that moral decision, just bad business.

But hey, i'm not complaining, i love it!
    :laugh2:
  2. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Well, the feature is there for emergencies. But you're on the honor system not to use it to replace a home connection. Just like your score in a golf tourney, just like those little mints they have where you're supposed to drop a quarter in return.
  3. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

it seems pretty hypocritical of you to preach the morality of this and then say you do it just a little.
  4. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Well for someone who doesn't use it at all according to you (which I think is total BS, but who cares about my opinion anyway), you shouldn't even be posting about it either.

I NEVER said it was wrong to use it. I said it was wrong to use it to REPLACE your ISP, like your DSL, Cable, FiOs connection, what have you. Maybe you should go back and re-read my posts. And it is. Like I said, I use it for when there is no other option. Which isn't very often. I travel, but not that much.

I'm done with this thread. I've said my piece and people are gonna think its right and gonna keep "sticking it to the man" so they can feel better about themselves. Whatever. I'm not enabling you anymore. You'll get yours when they come back and bite you in the ass, which they probably already have since they're so bitter in the first place....
  5. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

so it's probably ok with you to lie just a little or cheat just a little.
    if it's wrong, it should be always wrong. should not need to read the fine print to fine that out.
    your bandwidth theory don't fly because you use up more bandwidth streaming than tethering.
    like i said, i just like to argue. i don't use it. but i don't like the way they set up such a mess of different plans with extra add-on for this and that.
  6. k_semler

k_semler New Member

You can.

SX7T-605G

[​IMG]

Fixed Cellular Terminal

Carrier Agnostic

Telular Resources:
    Product Brochure
    Download the Manual
    Sales Information

The SX7T-605G Wireless Terminal is Telular Corporation’s new flagship solution for Fixed Cellular communications. Utilizing the GSM cellular network and its HSDPA data platform, the SX7T-605G provides exceptional voice quality, analog fax, high-speed packet data, circuit-switched data, and PC fax. The SX7T-605G Wireless Terminal can be utilized in a number of different applications including wireline replacement, portable dial tone, least-cost routing, and telemetry. The Telular SX7T-605G Fixed Cellular Terminal is quad-band and operates on the 850/900/1800/1900 MHz frequency bands for worldwide connectivity.

Would you like to learn more about the SX7T-605G Wireless Terminal? Call 800-990-9025.

Features/Benefits:

• RJ-11 interface with dial tone generation for voice and analog fax
    • Ethernet and USB ports for simple connectivity
    • HSDPA Packet Data, backwards compatible to GPRS/EDGE*
    • Group 3 analog fax*
    • Circuit-switched data*
    • Voicemail, caller ID, call-waiting, and call-forwarding*
    • Quad-band GSM 850/900/1800/1900
    • Superior voice quality
    • Easy installation
    • Automatic end-of-dialing (no SEND key)
    • 7 LEDs for signal strength, power, message alert and call status
    • Internal battery back-up
    *carrier-dependent
  7. jasoninaz

jasoninaz New Member

People need to get a hold of their resentment of what other people do. Long before some of you were surfing the web over wireless or highspeed I managed a mindspring isp datacenter and there were people gaming the system so they did not pay for dial up.

I was proud of them when I would find them in the system, often I would send a message over telnet and they were in the IRC ask what they were doing. It was never enough to get upset about. This is how they did it, when you were dialed up to sign in for a new account you needed to connect to the internet for the billing and the information, they would just open another session and start surfing. Very slick and very simple. Never paying for any of the dial up.

I will never ask permission with doing anything in tech, yeah I'm beating the big telco that their game, asking me to pay for a dataplan I already pay for? No. Can you detect if I have my phone teathered over PAN no, over bluetooth No its encrypted. Teathered over usb yes, no encryption I found a hole in the system and I'll travel though that hole as often and much as I choose.

Could ATT catch me, truth is I've used up gigs of data watching streaming video over my phone or listening to cnn pipeline over my phone. during my last visit to the store they noticed the data and asked what I was doing, I said watching video, listening to streaming radio. I told him any time they wanted to buy me out of my contact to give me a call.

Right now I'm using PAN on my Q 6.1 (because the 6.0 didn't have pan) still does not allow vpn or ssh over the network, those protocals have been locked out. Like I said at the start, people need to get a grip on resentment with those of us that live and work in tech.

But again, I'll never ask for permission.
  8. k_semler

k_semler New Member

"I will never ask permission with doing anything in tech"

I agree. So long as you aren't causing degradation in service, or threatening network stability, have at it for all I care.

As far as earlier posts stating that they could detect by what websites you visit, (mobile or not), Opera 8.65 has the option of representing its self as either a hand-held device, or as a desktop computer. SkyFire 0.6.1.xxx allows you to view full web pages as they appear on a desktop computer, (it identifies its self as Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.14 running on Windows XP). If they attempted to differentiate a desktop from a mobile device by files, (not *.txt, *.pdf *.doc, *.xls, *.odf, *.ppt, *.rtf, *.htm, *html or *.xml), you transferred to your device, or by connections to IRC; well, I have news. I have an 8GB card in my Q9h, and if I so desired, I could download a DVD *.ISO to my phone and store it on my memory card for later transfer to my computer. There is also wmIRC available so you can connect with IRC servers just like you can on your desktop. Heck, even Remote Desktop and RealVNC is available for Windows Mobile Standard. Given the capabilities of the Q9h, anything I can do online from my desktop, I can do from my mobile phone. (yes, even transfer with BitTorrent). It is now the 8th day of the billing month, and I've so far transferred 244.57 MB worth of data. No, I wasn't tethering, (I don't need to).

By providing a data plan and integrating the capabilities into the phone for tethering, yet prohibiting the full use of capabilities on an unlimited plan is like getting a cable hookup from TWC for the Basic Broadcast for $14.05/mo, (15 channels locally), and the tech gives you the entire Basic Cable lineup which normally costs $46.05/mo, (65 channels), (by accident or design), by neglecting to put in a simple bandpass filter. Are you supposed to call TWC and notify them that their tech screwed up by giving you more TV then you paid for, and you want them to come out and put in the bandpass filter? Or do you keep your mouth shut, and enjoy the best "mostly-legitimate", (you legitimately have what you paid for, but they included a little bit extra through no action of your own), deal in probably the entire world by only paying $14.05/mo for 65 channels?

Only in the case of tethering, (which modifying the registry in WM 6.1 to enable the connection to go through Media Net is equivalent to going out to the cable box and taking off the bandpass filter), they aren't merely renting the line to you (as the cable company in effect does by providing you CATV service), they are selling you the line, the tools to bypass the restrictions, the keys to the cable box, and providing instructions on how to do it, but telling you not to because you're not supposed to.

If I buy something in the real world, (vehicle, coaxial wire, a television, a toaster, a watch, etc), I am free to do whatever I want to it. This also applies to cellular telephones. I am not circumventing their privately owned, (and leased to customer), equipment. I am maximizing the capabilities of my equipment. If I wanted to buy a $500 phone only to use it as a shotgun target, I can legally do it.

If they wanted to control it in a more effective manner, they could do so by having either tiered pricing in the GB range, (and set hard limits that cannot be exceeded until the month is over or the customer upgrades their plan). Bandwidth access is very possible to control from the server side, and to circumvent that would violate several federal and state laws, (unauthorized access to a computer network, wire fraud, trespass, etc).

If ATT was serious about bandwidth resources, they would do something similar to the above. Set accounts with quotas that cannot be exceeded by the customer without ATT intervention. The capability exists to do this. If this were done, it wouldn't matter HOW you decided to utilize the service you are paying for, as once your quota is met, your service is cut off until either the next month rolls around, or the plan is upgraded. Heck, they could even "Rollover bandwidth" like they currently do with talktime minutes. (Have a 5GB plan but only use 3.5 of it, then you get 5GB+1.5GB of data transfer the next month.)

Of course, this won't happen. They are just worried about one thing: $$$$ Little do they realize that if this were implemented, then the people who are tethering on the now-existing PDA Unlimited plan ($30/mo), would have a very difficult time exceeding the bandwidth quota. It would make far more sense to have data plans available as follows:

• 1GB @ $10/mo
    • 2.5GB @ $20/mo
    • 5GB @ $30/mo
    • 7GB @ $40/mo
    • 10GB @ $55/mo
    • 15GB @ $75/mo
    • 30GB @ $120/mo
    • 60GB @ $210/mo
    • 120GB @ $400/mo
    • UNLIMITED @ $500/mo
    I'd probably sign up for the 2.5GB plan. I probably won't exceed that, and if I did, I'd just upgrade to the 5GB plan if I really wanted to push that much data using my mobile phone as an access point.

The current ATT data policy is imbecilic. It charges for your activities with the product, not merely for the product. The way it is set up now, it's like previously owning a television with a remote control, getting your cable hooked up, then the cable company charging you an additional $30/mo if you decide to use the remote control instead of getting up and changing the channel manually. Either way, you're still using the cable service regardless how you choose to change the channel on your television.
  9. parishmc

parishmc New Member

i have the MediaMax 200 bundle w/unlimited data &
    i regularly use 4-5gb of data each month tethering one of my phones with my laptop. i have never heard anything from att