Windows Phone 7 (WP7) - Atrix?

Discussion in 'Future Motorola Q Smartphones' started by Sjan Pillay, May 25, 2011.

1. Sjan Pillay

Sjan Pillay New Member

Hi, I have been a Windows phone die hard for years, I was annoyed when Microsoft did not make WP6.5 upgradeable to WP7, but WP7 is good, it is quick and responsive.

I recently upgraded as my contract came to an end, I got the Omnia 7 from Samsung, after 1 weekend, I sent it back. The reasons are: SD Card must be seen as a USB Drive, I want to Play AVI files and it cannot run Java Apps (such as IG Index application).

OK, so I decided to get the Motorola Atrix, it fulfils all the short-comings of the WP7 phone except, I use Hotmail, Skydrive and am beta testing Office365, all of which have issues of one sort or another on Android.

What I want is a WP7 phone with memory expansion that appears in “Computer” as a USB drive, I am sure most users only want this to use this as a storage area. It is the only reason users either upgrade to a larger MicroSD card or have multiple ones.

Now I understand that Microsoft has used the built-in memory and any MicroSD memory as a single memory space. That does not stop manufacturers from adding a user accessible MicroSD slot and linking it to the on board USB interface or some other mechanism that can be recognised as a USB Drive/extended memory.

As for the Silverlight Media Element unable to play AVI files, what about an App that plays AVI? I do not know who Microsoft asked when they say “We implemented the most common features that users want”, whomever they asked it was not representative of the mobile phone users I know, not even WP6.5 users.

So now I am locked in to Android and hoping Microsoft will wake up because I want the features I have on Android, but also Hotmail, Skydrive and Office365 on my phone. But if Andriod Apps developers create that integration I will not be getting another Microsoft OS mobile phone, in fact I would like a Motorola WP7 Atrix, what do you think?
  2. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

3. Sjan Pillay

Sjan Pillay New Member

Thanks ninjaap, at least that's a start, unfortunately, if I was to plug the phone into a workstaion at college, it would not be recognised because it needs Zune and .Net 2.0
  4. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Ah yes this is true. There were a couple other programs out there that did the job without Zune, but they were either pulled or require unlocking your device I think.