Windows Phone 7 Series Hands-On

Discussion in 'Windows Phone 7' started by chris, Feb 15, 2010.

1. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

2. chris

More videos from the event...

3. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

I think it definitely has potential. It'll take some getting used to though
  4. chris

I'm excited. This is exactly what I was hoping for and they nailed it. I think hardware will be super important, but I see HTC, Samsung delivering some speced out devices.
  5. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

agreed. Didn't they mention in one of the videos that there will be specific hardware requirements (beyond a capacitive touch screen) for WP7 phones?
  6. chris

Yes, but I'm not sure if they announced what specs are required. Either way, with all the Android phones coming out with impressive specs, I don't see them screwing up the hardware. Depending on preference, touchscreen, QWERTY slider, it will be tough to appeal to everyone.

I personally would like to see Nexus One type hardware.
  7. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

Sort of like the HD2?:dft012:wink I like that the HD2 has a bigger screen than the nexus one
  8. Boredpianoman

Boredpianoman New Member

Not so sure about this idea...

The specs of WM7 make the OS sound like Apple, yet from the videos you've posted Chris, its quite "Zuney". I'm not so sure that is a good idea from Micro-hardheaded. I think they should've left the old OS alone with minor tweaks.
  9. mhans311

mhans311 Member

Really? They have been losing market share like crazy and there is only a small faction of consumers that have the patience to deal with the old OS. It is about time that Microsoft came up with something that will appeal to more people. If they had left the old OS alone with minor tweaks, they would have showed the world that they have basically given up on the smartphone market. They would be gone within a couple of years. The Windows Mobile that we have known and loved is really showing its age. My wife won't even touch my Ozone because she doesn't know how to use it, and doesn't want to learn either. She is much more comfortable with her Eris. There's no question they needed to revamp the entire OS to make it more consumer-friendly and really compete with iPhone, Android, and even WebOS. There are still a lot of questions, but it seems like they have done it.
  10. Boredpianoman

Boredpianoman New Member

Then what is microsoft really trying to do?

Ok, I agree that Microsoft may be eating the dust of those it is following, so the saying would apply, "If you can't beat'em, join'em". That being said, is it hard to believe that even the biggest, i dare say, most powerful software giant, can't be creative and pull the carpet from under others who might be better than them? Everyone else will agree that they are following in the smartphone arena, but I think its time to lead.
  11. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

Wait.. I think this new OS is very creative.
  12. chris

I think they borrowed from themselves with the Zune HD interface. They also brought XBOX live integration, their Office Productivity Suite. That's 100% Microsoft. I don't think they ignored the iPhone, but I definitely think there is plenty of Microsoft in the 7 Series. Different? Yes. It's a big break from the previous gen OS. Palm did the same thing. Sometimes that's the only way to truly innovate.
  13. gorin002

gorin002 New Member

when i had motorola q9th with win 6.0 on it foundit very easy to navihate very easy to use
    i also have android phone motorola milestone
    i have to get used to it

i wander if motorola with have new q series with win 7 mobile
  14. mhans311

mhans311 Member

Nope...Q series is done from what I've read on these forums.
  15. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

yup, Q series is dead, and has been for a long while now sadly
  16. gorin002

gorin002 New Member

anny new phone with mobile 7 on it ?
    like had mpx 200 220 mpx 300 after came the Q
    after the Q sril life with win mobile ?
  17. Weapondrift

Weapondrift New Member

Im slightly annoyed at not having backwards compatibility on the phone. There are some other things with the UI (user interface) that will be annoying to people as well. For instance there are certain screen where you go to that you think you should be able to scroll to the right but you cant. Keep in mind this is my personal experience from using past Zune devices which this phone really is. Dot be suprised tho if the chefs over at XDA and PPC dont go crazy with ROMS. Personally Im hold out for the phone which I assume will be late this year (speculation obviously)
  18. josephtamis

josephtamis Banned

I think the I-phone is still by far superior to the win-phone 7. The apple technology is superior as far as the Multi-touch and it has been around for many years. It is incredible that just now Microsoft develop a decent operating system.
  19. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

That's a pretty bold statement. Care to back it up with some facts? Have you even tried a Win 7 phone? No?...
  20. chris

What's worse than a spammer. One who posts baseless claims.