Windows Phone 7 off to a slow start???

Discussion in 'Windows Phone 7' started by Hiram, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Hiram

Hiram Member

Hey friends:

I've been hearing and reading a lot about WP7 getting off to a slow start. Now, only four weeks into the public sale, there's already a "buy one, get one free" offer at ATT.:confused:

I know it's a new platform, etc., but does anyone make anything of this?
  2. TheDFO

TheDFO Member

Not sure about it being a "slow" start. Sure, it's not as fast as the iPhone, but it's been pretty fast. Also, it was my impression that the BOGO was something like a thanksgiving offer, but I'm not sure.
  3. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

I think they are dealing with a ton of competition. I don't think they are flying off shelves. I think it'll start to pick up steam -- next round of hardware coupled with Verizon, Sprint releases will help the cause.
    mem30075 likes this.
  4. Hiram

Hiram Member

BOGO is still available in Puerto Rico. I hope that word of mouth helps. I'm sure I don't know as much as you guys, but I'm sure this is one nice phone! Agree?

Maybe the upcoming update will help the cause, also.
  5. NaplesBill

NaplesBill Member

BOGO is not an indication of low sales. The Droid was on a BOGO with Verizon right after it was released. It is just a method of getting an additional 2-year contract out of customers.
    chris likes this.
  6. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

I completely agree.
  7. Hiram

Hiram Member

Sounds right.
  8. bnk999

bnk999 New Member

A promotion doesn't necessarily mean slow sales. You also have to look at most of ATT's other smartphones. Many of them are around a hundred bucks. So to do bogo on $200 handsets really just prices them next to many other smartphones.
  9. Hiram

Hiram Member

Feeling better by the minute. ;)
  10. BitPusher2600

BitPusher2600 Member

How many not so tech savy people jumped to Linux when Ubuntu became a big name? Especially since Windows or Macintosh were such long and traditional standards for what makes a computer (again, I'm talking non techy folk.)

I believe its sort of like that. The big names for the last couple years, adverts and posters everywhere there's a phone to be bought, iPhone, Android, Blackberry. Alot of the mass consumer market know those names because they were it when it comes to popular smartphones (sorry WinMo users, but you know its never come close in the popularity contest aspect of market share.) Its fair to say alot of the market go for what everyone else is buying, what's "hot" and practically a household name.

I believe as incredibly massive iPhone and Android are and the amount of time they've had to utterly dominate the mobile technology world, where would that leave a newcomer? Its a new OS, but not new technology, so accounting for all that, I agree WinPho7 may be off to a slow start because look where their (re)entry happens to be starting...in the middle of things that are "so now."

Its strongest point, I dont believe is that its Microsoft, but that it is absolutely different in user experience than the icon and grid format of everything else. It starts with people like us that would take the plunge and try it, and as we grow in numbers, the fire begins.

...and for the record, I think Ubuntu is garbage but it seems a majority of the curious or adventurous go for it.
    My ramble is done ;)
  11. Hiram

Hiram Member

Hallelujah! :D I'm keeping my WP7 Samsung Focus ...
  12. termleech

termleech Member

People will wait until there are more apps to fill in some of the missing gaps and it has had another release or two. Also once it's on other carriers it will grow as well. People don't like switching to AT&T and are looking for a reason to leave AT&T and right now the WP7 isn't a good reason to stay. Once Verizon and T-Mobile have the phones you will see some more growth.
  13. Hiram

Hiram Member

What gives with AT&T???
  14. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Nothing is wrong with AT&T. I've been a customer since they were Cellular One. It was just a great VZW campaign combined with a bad iPhone antenna (since the first generation) caused a mass hysteria. I only point to the iPhone because they represent a huge chunk of AT&T subscribers. Yes the reception is first and foremost the carrier's problem, but it's secondly the phone's fault. Case in point, my Q9h did not drop calls, but my HTC Fuze did. And so far my Focus has not dropped a call. It's having other problems, but it has never dropped a call.
  15. Hiram

Hiram Member

Thanks ninjaap. I continue to feel better about AT&T and Focus. But, here in Puerto Rico, AT&T took over Centennial just recently. I too had a MotoQ 9c before the Focus. With Centennial, which had taken over Verizon after VW left, I never had a dropped call. Now, after the merger, I've had, and already complained about it, some reception problems ... and ... a few dropped calls on my Focus. They say that as soon as the integration of the two carriers is finished, all should be well. :confused:
  16. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

I would be a little more fogiving while going through an integration. Since Cellular One I have gone through, I think, 3 intergrations (Cellular One > AT&T > Cingular > AT&T). I'm not going to lie, I went through a few problems, more pertaining to billing than reception.

A quick glance at Wikipedia states that Centenial was under CDMA technology. AT&T operates at GSM/UMTS. Transition from CDMA to GSM/UMTS can take a bit since they operate at different frequencies. They try not force it down customer's throat right away, because that would mean existing subscribers would need a new phone. So yes I would expect some reception problems until after they fully integrate their whole system and subscribers.
    Hiram likes this.
  17. Hiram

Hiram Member

Thanks for all the trouble you went thru. I knew about the different technology. Centennial/CDMA is no longer going to be supported as of 1/1/11, so, as contracts expire, remaining Centennial clients will have to make a decision. After your research and personal testimony, I certainly see why I should be a bit patient. Thanks, again.:)

PS: Do you have outlook set up on your phone? I have another thread with an Outlook related question.
  18. Flaystus

Flaystus Member

Slow start? You bet. They are not opening their mouth about the numbers, that speaks volumes.

Is that an issue? Not at all. MS is in it for the long haul. WP7 will shape up very nicely before its over. MS will pour resources into it until it works.

Everyone else has a head start. MS is playing catch up but its a game they are good at. I remember all the nay sayers when the original Xbox was revealed. lol look how that turned out?
  19. termleech

termleech Member

I was just about to say, look at when the XBox came out. It lost money for years before it got to where it is today. They started in that market behind significantly as well. I have confidence Microsoft will catch up eventually.
  20. Brett Watters

Brett Watters New Member

Remember that the biggest initial push on new sales is typically from existing users upgrading. Windows Phone has a few issues in this regard -- it does not have as many uses as Apple, it is not such an easy upgrade for many Windows Mobile users, and many existing users will need to seriously look at competitors.