Windows Phone 7.5/Mango Full Feature List

Discussion in 'Windows Phone 7' started by RandomAlec, May 23, 2011.

1. RandomAlec

RandomAlec Member

Below you will find confirmed & rumored features of Windows Phone 7.5/"Mango" to be available on the Windows Phone Fall 2011. The features listed below are OS features, remember there are also over 1500 APIs releasing for developers with Mango.

Let us know if we are missing anything so we can add it (don't worry we will credit you in this thread). This thread will always be a work in progress until the update is released.

With each feature listed below you will find with it links to our own articles where the features were first announced. You can always use the search box on the main website to search for additional information on each feature.

Confirmed Features:
    • Bing Audio: Works like Shazam to "listen" to music and tell you what song if playing
    • Turn By Turn Navigation Maps Integration: Will give turn by turn directions as you drive and will be integrated into the already present Maps
    • Hands-free Messaging: Built-in speech-to-text and text-to-speech support enables hands-free texting or chatting
    • Podcast Support: Downloading/Managing/Subscribing your podcasts through the Music + Videos hub right on your Windows Phone
    • Facebook Check-Ins and Video Uploads: Being added to the Facebook integration of Windows Phone
    • "Mature" Rating System for Applications: Applications submitted to the marketplace will be rated accordingly
    • App List Jump List Implementation: Similar to the way phone contacts are sorted the App List will allow you to jump through first letters of application names
    • App List Search Button: Will allow users to search their applications or the marketplace directly through a simple search button beside the App List
    • Marketplace Pivot Style Categorization: Marketplace will receive pivot style categorization which works by swiping left or right to change category
    • Bing Search "Extras": Similar to pictures hub and music hub to access installed applications that may be useful to the user ie. search for movies and IMDB will show up under the extras section (only if it is already installed)
    • Windows Live Messenger, Facebook Chat and AOL Instant Messenger Integration: All will be integrated into the phone through the Messaging Hub
    • Groups: Group contacts into personalized Live Tiles to see the latest status updates and quickly send a text, email or IM to the whole group, right from the Start screen
    • Visual Voicemail: Uses the same technology as Android and iOS to display voicemail messages visually
    • Lockscreen Now Playing Artist Art: Will display the artwork of the music you are currently listening to on your lockscreen, can be toggled in Settings
    • Xbox LIVE Automatic Sync: Can be toggled in Settings
    • Multitasking: Apps can now run in the background while preserving battery life and performance. You can also quickly switch between open apps
    • Internet Explorer 9: The power of a PC-browser plus support for HTML5 and hardware-accelerated graphics
    • Twitter Integration: Twitter will be integrated into the OS similar to the already present Facebook Integration
    • Copy & Paste Improvements: Changes to look and feel of buttons, addition of copy & paste sounds, UI improvements and tweaks
    • Pinnable email folders: Pin a folder to the start screen for quick access. This could be an email folder for a specific project, from a specific group or person (like your boss), or an RSS feed you’ve set up in Outlook
    • Conversation view in email: Emails in your inbox are organized by conversation, bringing replies to a thread into a consolidated view so it’s faster and easier to stay on top of the conversation
    • Server search: Search your email server (e.g. Exchange Server) for older emails no longer stored on your phone, giving you ready access to all of your mail
    • Lync: Lync Mobile brings the Lync experience to Windows Phone customers by delivering Unified Communications capabilities, including instant messaging and the ability to see the presence of your co-workers. The Lync app will be a free download from Windows Phone Marketplace and will be enabled with support from your business organization
    • Complex (Alpha-Numeric) Password Support
    • Information Rights Management Support: For protecting e-mails and Office documents
    • Support For Access To Hidden Corporate Wi-Fi Networks: Your IT organization can stay on top of its game—providing you access to information you need while meeting corporate requirements
    • Camera shutter sound can be turned on/off
    • Smart DJ Support
    • Battery Management: Options for battery management to be added to Settings on Windows Phone devices
    • Design Changes To Games Hub: Xbox LIVE Extras will now be integrated into the Games Hub along with more information about yourself and friends, and a remove/add friend button
    • WiFi Hotspot Support: Will be available based on carrier support and availability
    • Linked Inbox: See multiple email accounts in one linked inbox. Conversations are organized to make it easy to stay on top of the latest mail
    • Design Change To People Tile: The People tile will now alternate between large and small image tiles of contacts to create an animated collage
    Sathyanarayana Shenoy likes this.
  2. RandomAlec

RandomAlec Member

• Office Hub SkyDrive and Office 365 Integration: Document editing capabilities improved, support improved, possible IE9 integrated support, documents will be color coded
    • Bing Vision: Uses your phone’s camera to look up product information, will also translate languages
    • LinkedIn Integration: Will be integrated into People Hub, Messaging Hub and anywhere else it can be applied to
    • Local Scout: Provides hyper-local search results and recommends nearby restaurants, shopping and activities in an easy to use guide powered by Bing
    • Windows Phone Marketplace Web Version: Will enable customers to shop, share and buy/download apps and games from any PC and send them directly to their phones
    • Improved Live Tiles: Are more dynamic and can hold more information making it easier to get real-time info from apps without having to open them
    • App Connect: See apps in search results and hubs such as Music + Videos and Pictures. App Connect works with Marketplace, so results include both apps already on your phone and new apps to download
    • Cards: Handy summaries of relevant info from Bing (including related apps) for products, movies, events or place you search for
    • Threads: Switch between text, Facebook chat, and Windows Live Messenger within the same conversation
    • Language Support: Will support languages including Brazilian, Chinese (simplified and traditional), Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, Greek, Hungarian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, and Swedish
    • Pictures Hub Tagging: Will allow the user to tag people through the Pictures Hub for uploading to Facebook/Windows Live, also uses face recognition to easily recognize tags for you
    • Photo Album Pin To Start: Will allow pinning of any picture album right onto the start screen
    • To-do List Support In Calendars
    • Design Changes To Marketplace Hub: Details, reviews, screenshots and related will be separated into pivot style formatting. Now suggests applications/meida as you type in search box within marketplace
    • Emotion Smilies Upgraded To Emoticons: The current emotion smilies such as :) :p ;P etc. will now show up as Emoticons
    • Bing Image Search: Bing Search now has a dedicated images only result pivot
    • MP3 Audio Playback Controls Changed: Controls now located at the top with repeat and shuffle to support playlist features. Drop down audio control buttons (when volume rocker pressed) are also bigger
    • Video Player Stretch Button: Now has a new software button that stretches the video to fit the screen
    • HTML5 Audio Playback Support: Will continue to play after you back out of IE9. If you use the volume rocker you can access audio controls for it as well
    • Design Changes To Pictures Hub: Now sorted into “Albums” instead of “ALL” and there is a camera button present when viewing pictures for quick access
    • Contact Specific History: Each contact now has a history pivot which shows communication history
    Unconfirmed Features:
    • IE9 Tabs In Multitasking: IE9 Mobile tabs will show up independently when using the new multitasking feature also coming with the Mango update
    Sathyanarayana Shenoy likes this.
  3. RandomAlec

RandomAlec Member

4. RandomAlec

RandomAlec Member

5. kurtnelle

kurtnelle New Member

Is there any word on being able to add an attachment to emails?
  6. ajayden

ajayden Member

Currently we can add attachments to emails.
  7. kurtnelle

kurtnelle New Member

@ajayden, I haven't found that feature anywhere. Can you send a link?
  8. Aximtreo

Aximtreo Member

The same old question, is there going to be direct sync with Outlook without having to use the cloud?
  9. kurtnelle

kurtnelle New Member

@Aximtero, don't get your hopes up. For that to happen they would have to write code that allows Outlook to talk to the phone 7 device, as well as code for the phone7 to talk to outlook. I won't expect that at least until windows8
  10. Aximtreo

Aximtreo Member

Sorry, I can't talk. I'm overwhelmed with tears; tears for some idiot that didn't include this in the original OS; at worse, the NoDo update.
  11. kurtnelle

kurtnelle New Member

Poor guy, hang in there man.

On another note: Is there any word on communication over the tether?
  12. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Have you figured out how to attach in email yet?
  13. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

14. Sounds pretty good. Hope to see it come to HTC Mozart very soon.
  15. ajayden

ajayden Member

Hi

You just need to click the clip icon on the new mail screen. You can do it directly from office itself using share or send option.

Hope this helps.
  16. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

I don't think it works through new mail screen. I have to go through Office Hub.
  17. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Linked Inbox (An alternative to the Universal Inbox) [Mango]
  18. MangoMozart

MangoMozart New Member

The latest release came out the other day and it solved a few issues for me. Zune doesn't crash *fingers crossed*, it was crashing a lot for me, wouldn't play the next song and when you tried to force it to it would die.
    You can now turn off the WiFi notification without turning off WiFi.

And a few other things I can't remember, they're the two main things that were bothering me. It's good that it is getting better, hopefully they can get Google+ with the intergration of twitter.

EDIT: Okay a little update, since posting that ^, Zune has crashed 3 times during my train journey. So I guess I had just been lucky, now I remember one of the other things that still... appears to be sorted, that is when I get an SMS or e-mail I will hear or feel the phone vibrate, then about 5 seconds later I will get the tone which is split, like the phone is struggling to play the tune. It seems to be much better now.
  19. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

There was always the option to turn off wifi notification without having to turn off wifi, even before Mango.
    I get the split tone once in a while. Not very often, but it's hard to miss when it does.
  20. MangoMozart

MangoMozart New Member

Yeah the option was there, but when you did it, WiFi would just be shut off. As in if you checked the box it would turn off WiFi. It doesn't in this build for me.