Windows Mobile Device Center won't connect with my Moto Q 9c

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by Meph, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Meph

Meph New Member

Windows Mobile Device Center won't connect with my Moto Q 9c

I've been searching all day and browsing through the threads about this problem, but no one has seem to come up with a solution, at least nothing that has worked for me. I'm kind of freaking out right now, because I did a master reset and I have no way to get my contacts back on my phone.

Here is what I have tried:

• Deleting connections in WMDC for Moto Q 9c
    • Deleted "Windows PC" connection in activesync
    • Turned "Advanced USB" off in my phone's settings
    • reinstalled WMDC three times.
    • Deleted c:\windows\inf\INFCACHE.1 a few times
    • Tried uninstalling the device in Device Manager and reinstalling the driver
    • turned off my firewall (McAffee)
    • Master Reset of phone
    Nothing seems to work, and it's obviously not the phone since it won't work even now that I've done a Master Reset. The device shows up as "Microsoft Windows Mobile Remote Adapter #3" in device manager, I can hear the sound when it connects and disconnects from USB. Also, I could not get the phone to connect to my laptop with bluetooth, which is where the problem started. From there I tried to connect with USB and had the same problem.

Please help.
  2. Meph

Meph New Member

Update:

I upgraded my phone to Windows Mobile 6.1 and installed Vista Service Pack 1. Still nothing.
  3. miro

miro New Member

I have the same setup and my Q9c won't connect if I have the device locked, but I get the USB connect tones and that's it (no errors). As long as I unlock the phone prior to connecting it, I don't have any issues.
  4. Meph

Meph New Member

How do I unlock my phone if I can't get it to connect to WMDC?
  5. Meph

Meph New Member

Alright, I just tried this, I installed the HTC Unlock program from another PC with Windows XP. Still Nothing.

I was on the phone with Sprint for a couple hours this morning. They had nothing, no suggestions that I hadn't already tried.
  6. miro

miro New Member

Sorry.. I meant keypad lock, not application lock.
  7. ajskhan

ajskhan New Member

I'm having the exact same problem. Its been maybe 4 months since its last worked?
  8. sulster

sulster Active Member

There's an update to the Mobile Device Center that apparently fixes this issue. I learned about it from PDANet.

Connect your phone and go to the Microsoft Update Center and update WMDC.

Hope this helps!
  9. Meph

Meph New Member

Can you send me a link? I did a search for PDAnet and all I found was a program for turning your pda into a modem for your laptop.
  10. sulster

sulster Active Member

Oh, I just mentioned PDANet by way of reference. The UPDATE is for Windows Mobile Device Center. Go to Microsoft.com and search for Mobile Device Center 6.1 for Vista.

I have a link, but can't promise it will work from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...f1-e46a-4a5f-a791-09f07aaa1914&DisplayLang=en
  11. Meph

Meph New Member

The reason why I'm asking is because I'm pretty sure that update was already installed. It comes with WMDC if you download it directly from Microsoft's web site. Nothing shows up in Windows Update either.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling that driver update a few times, so that is something else that I tried.
  12. sulster

sulster Active Member

Hm. I had to install WMDC and that update separately. Also, I found that CHECKING Enhanced USB functionality worked for me.
  13. Meph

Meph New Member

I found a way to sync my contacts and calendar through bluetooth by using "PIM Syncronization" through Bluetooth Manager and I was able to get my contacts back on my phone, so I'm going to forego wiping my laptop clean and reinstalling Vista and wait this out a little longer to see if an actual solution comes up. In the meantime I can use my other computer to install applications, but I have no way of syncing Microsoft OneNote or quickly transferring files.
  14. sulster

sulster Active Member

Sorry, man, wish I had more help. I have been through this and just kept doing what you are doing, and one day it worked. Have you ENABLED USB functionality?
  15. Meph

Meph New Member

of course, I have both USB and Bluetooth enabled. I tried disabling Bluetooth and only allowing USB, but that didn't work either.
  16. Tha187um

Tha187um New Member

Meph, i hope you were able to solve your issue... I too had the same problem ever since i updated to 6.1 on Friday... however, i managed to get it working. I removed both the Mobile Device Center and the update as well, i restarted, re-installed the latest version and restarted once more, then i let it recognize the phone and it worked for me... please keep in mind that i had done re installation of WMDC 2 previous times to no avail, i had to do a full uninstall. Im not sure if it makes a difference, but i used "your uninstaller" since it also removes all registry traces of the application.

good luck.
  17. chieflenny

chieflenny New Member

I spent hours on the phone the other day with Motorola, Sprint, & Dell about this issue. I uninstalled, reinstalled, downgraded to WMDC previous version, uninstalled my anti-virus software, uninstalled Microsoft Works (Motorola said it is a known compatability issue? It was preinstalled and who needs Works anyway), changed phone settings, switched USB ports, tried different cables, did a master reset on the phone, etc. Nothing worked, so I eventually gave up. I don't need to sync the phone, as I use Exchange server, but I did want to quickly transfer files and sync Favorites. Good luck.
  18. Meph

Meph New Member

I just tried this with Your Uninstaller and this didn't work for me either, but thanks for the recommendation.
  19. Tha187um

Tha187um New Member

but you did remove both the update and the actual app?
  20. Meph

Meph New Member

Yes, my only concern is that the Windows Mobile Device Center control panel applet remains behind even after I uninstall everything. I don't know if this is just something that comes with Vista, or if I need to go to further lengths to completely uninstall WMDC.