Windows Mobile Device Center Sync Issues

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by Guardian, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

Windows Mobile Device Center Sync Issues

Hello everyone,

I know that I have been quite effective in assisting others with their Vista sync issues using WMDC but I am facing an unusual problem which appeared recently that I have been at a loss to fix and I was hoping for some perspective and assistance from my great friends and experts here to see if we can figure this out.

Some history on this matter. Those who know me, or can read the signature :), know that I use Vista Ultimate (x64 not really an issue here) and I have the latest version of WMDC which has been working quite well for me up to this point and for nearly a year actually since I got this machine and my phone. However, suddenly out of the blue, it stopped syncing with my machine and it states that sync complete, with no errors but I know for a fact that it is not actually syncing the information.

It detects the device, loads it as a device in the explorer, allows me to copy to and from it, I can control it using Jeyo Mobile Companion and Pocket Controller Pro which both connect using the typical "ActiveSync" protocol as they call it just fine but it will NOT sync the information with my Outlook no matter what. If it gave some error or something, I would have something to work with but nothing.

To save everyone the trouble of telling me the basic things that I should do which i already have done, I have removed the partnership and recreated it, nothing. I have reset and cleared my phone and reestablished the partnership and nothing. I have tried with Outlook open (which is how I used to it and worked like a charm) or with Outlook closed (which I sometimes would forget and done and it would just open it in memory and do its business) and nothing. The device mode is ActiveSync RNDIS so that is not the issue and has not been changed.

I am open to all suggestions and hope we can figure this out and have it become something useful for others that may face this issue in the future. Thank you all in advance for reading this horrendously long post and for any assistance that you provide.
  2. cindra

cindra Active Member

What was the last program that involves syncing at all that you loaded before noticing the problem? Possible that there are some settings in that program that are taking over?
  3. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

I already thought about that and there was nothing since my machine is imaged and so the program content doesn't change in between imagings and this machine is still running last year's image. Thank you for thinking about this and hope you have more input.
  4. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

I don't think I can offer you any advice as far as trouble shooting this matter. I have read your past posts assisting others. You have a much deeper understanding than I do. I only know the basic "delete the relationship and resync" fix. What I can offer is some info into the settings of my apps. I am running Vista Ultimate with WMDC 6.1 and Outlook 2007. So if you suspect a particular setting to be the culprit just ask and we can compare "notes".

I did notice a couple of outlook 2007 updates within the past week in my windows update history. One was a junk mail filter and the other looks like some kind of security update. I dunno... just throwin out ideas.
  5. alexeyge

alexeyge Member

Let me try :) I suggest switching from Rndis to let say Serial. Connecting, disconnecting then switching back. I remember that I have used this trick to deal with sync issues.
  6. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

Thank you, you are very kind. I will let you know if you can look something up in your settings that might help me figure this out. I want to exhaust all options before doing the classic format my device and try again which "probably" will make it work but not sure. Because that doesn't really teach us anything or figure out what did it.

I actually noticed the security updates and Outlook is notorious for causing sync issues and every other issues with updates like that but "generally" it does not affect an existing setup but I went ahead and disabled them to see if they were culprits already and nothing, still crap. But thanks for thinking of that though.
  7. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

Well thank you for this, something I didn't know and hadn't tried. So I did and here is what happened. I switched the device type to Serial and then connected to the machine and detected it as a new device "Moto Q" still and spent that god aweful long time trying to "detect" and "install" it and then nothing happened. In fact WMDC shows it like it did in the other mode and still did nothing, no sync and it doesn't even see the email folders to sync under content.

Then I switched it back and now it won't even see the device so much for not syncing, it doesn't even see the hardware anymore. So I guess now I am officially up shit creek without a paddle and have to resort to a hard restore. That sucks, but hey thanks for the suggestion though at least now we know that trick doesn't always work and perhaps my situation is too far gone for this trick to fix and earlier on it would do it.
  8. mexiken

mexiken New Member

This may sound really trivial, but have you tried restarting the comp ???? I know it sounds trivial and stuff, but whenever my device starts acting up, whether by not syncing or not showing up, restarting my laptop usually fixes it. Even my DVD burner does that too especially after a "hibernate" session.

Im afraid Im not sure about imaging, so I dont know if it would help, but have you tried it ????
  9. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

I was wondering when you were going to step up and bail a brother. Thanks, I actually knew that and did it and swear have done it a bunch, nothing nada zip zilch kaputz.

I even gave up and zapped my device to see if it fixes it, wouldn't you know it, it does NOT. I still connect enough to do EVERYTHING except sync my outlook. It will not sync the outlook and now it doesn't even show the list of folders to choose anymore. It sucks. Basically its a overglorified paper weight right now to me. Without my info, its useless to me.

This is the reason why people dump this shit in the drawer and go get something that works. I used to have an HP iPAQ 6515 and it was PERFECT, never NOT ONCE did it freeze even or hiccup and NEVER EVER EVER gave me shit for anything. I miss it, maybe I will go back to the new offspring of it, screw thin and pretty, shit's gotta work to be useful.
  10. alexeyge

alexeyge Member

Let me try again :) Have you tried to sync via bluetooth? For me it always works perfectly. Then check if data are indeed synchronized. Another trivial suggestion. Uninstall your network driver. Then run Windows Update and see what it suggests apart from critical updates (suggested updates). Do them all and see what happens...
  11. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

No, I have not. I don't like bluetooth syncing, never have and it has never worked after the initial time and the forum is filled with our experiences, which I won't bore you with here.

Updates are all done, good and still nothing. :(
  12. alexeyge

alexeyge Member

I don't suggest using bluetooth sync as a substitute forever. Just try once for curiosity. You may get an idea of the source of the problem.From my experience, I have never had any problems with it. The USB sync seems to be less reliable for me.
  13. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Bummer. Sometimes the simplest answer is the one that fixes it. Wish it were so in your case.

In any case, sorry for the lag. I'm moving and I'm kinda in between internet right now. The cell phone service at the ex's where I've been spending a lot of time kinda sucks, so its hard to get online even with my phone there.

There isn't an option to reinstall Outlook is there ???? Was it packed in with your comp ????
  14. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

No problem bro, I was just venting and you've always been there. I can't believe this crap and the bad timing for it. It sucks.

Outlook was not packed in and I have no problem reinstalling it except I am not sure that will help in this case, I thought formatting the device would do it and it didn't and I really don't have time to redo my machine yet. This is what I have been able to find out about WMDC which surprisingly has very little helpful support out there, if relationship ever go boom, you are stuck redoing your device AND computer to get a clean slate again to rebind and get back on track. I was hoping it was fixed in WMDC 6.1 but hell no.

EDIT: By the way, congrats on the GURU status, I guess I need to get busy posting more huh? :) Although you did have a 3 month head start with a much larger knowledge base to post on. :)
  15. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

If you knew the amount of hell many of us including myself have been through with BT, you would know that it is NOT an easy and temporary solution even to test and see. I have only been successful in setting up BT 2/7 times I have tried and I have frankly given up. Honestly, its been so long since my last time, I am not even sure I know where to begin with all the crap that is already happening. But after moot court tonight, I will give it a shot. Thanks, I do appreciate your help even if it doesn't seem like it.
  16. mexiken

mexiken New Member

LOL, true true. But good times either way. You caught on fast. And thanks.

Id say wipe out Outlook, or WMDC. One of those 2 are the problem. Remove all registry entries that point to it. Make sure you go into program files and delete the Outlook folder so any files get wiped too, and then reinstall.

And of course, backup your info. There should be an option under File in Outlook to backup/export.
  17. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

Well brother, good times but not so good lately, is it 4:20 yet? I kid but seriously this has become a nightmare (and i don't mean that in a pussy whining boo hoo way either, I am a big boy and a pro and I am used to dealing with problems).

Your suggestion however welcome is not within my timeframe and availability at this moment, hence the frustration that i can't do what I need to get it up and running. I have removed all local files and registry entries that I know of for WMDC but its like a rash that won't go away and to restore outlook from scratch will take time.

I will eventually bite the bullet and do it but currently developing a huge IMS for a client and dealing with moot court and exam prep and reviews and just no time for downtime to get it done :( Do you have a list of or can find all the locations where crap for WMDC hides in the registry and on the hard drive, if possible keep in mind its an x64 but I can't adapt that no biggie.

thanks for the help, gotta buy you a drink one of these days.
  18. mexiken

mexiken New Member

I'll try looking around. Unfortunately I'm moving back to Culver City in the next few days from Montclair so I don't have much downtime or even stable internet access. I'll try to help out when I get some time.
  19. mworsham

mworsham New Member

Unfortunately there seems to be a lot of people that have developed problems sync'ing with WMDC on Vista 64. Sorry I can't help, but my suggestion would be to monitor and/or post on some of the other forums where people are having problems. A quick google search will take you to a lot of posts with problems similar to yours.

Good luck!

Mark W
  20. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

Whatever you can do is appreciated as always and no worries. Take care of your business and I wish I had the time to come over and give you a hand, I am not that far away from you. Either way whatever you can do is appreciated but don't put yourself out, I know you got other stuff to deal with.