Windows Mobile 7 Details, Announcement on February 15th at MWC?

Discussion in 'Windows Phone 7' started by chris, Feb 6, 2010.

1. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

Windows Mobile 7 Details, Announcement on February 15th at MWC?

* Windows Phone 7 will be unveilved at Mobile World Congress on February 15th and you can expect to see the user interface of the new platform, but not specific functionality.
    * User Interface is based upon codename “METRO” and will be similar to the UI of the Zune HD. There will be a complete revamp of the “Start” screen. The UI is “Very Clean”, “Soulful” and “Alive”
    * No Flash support
    * Windows Phone 7 will only support application installation through service based delivery. (i.e Marketplace). Application installation via storage card will not be possible.
    * No Multi-Task support. Applications will “Pause” when in the background, however will support notifications via push notifications.
    * Marketplace will now support “try before you buy” as well as an API
    * No NETCF backwards compatibility. This means the original rumor of no backward compatibility for applications holds to be true. That being said, there are high hopes of porting the NetCF to the newer platform easily.
    * Microsoft is confident that devices will be ready by September 2010
    * Full Zune Integration
    * Windows Mobile Device Center will no longer be used. Zune software to take over syncing via PC.
    * OEM Interfaces will not be allowed to run on the device. Say goodbye to Sense UI / SPB Mobile Shell / Point UI / Infinity, etc, etc
    * Full XBOX Gaming Integration (Gamer tag, achievements, friends, avatars, merchandising, etc)
    * Full support for social networking

Windows Mobile 7 Details
  2. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

can't wait ( I also can't wait to see what that focus group they were talking about is for)
  3. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

i certainly hope what is posted above is true....
    sounds very apple-y

only install to device
    can only install from marketplace
    no multitasking...but it pauses?
  4. Boredpianoman

Boredpianoman New Member

Are you kidding me? So basically we are left with a totally proprietary piece of crap that we can't even tweak? BTW I hate the Zune interface, as I have to deal with my mom's all the time. I hate to think what war will ensue as a result of this movement.

Sent from my Q9m/c in the depths of nowhere.
  5. mhans311

mhans311 Member

Agreed. And I thought multitasking was one of the main advantages that my Ozone now has over the iPhone and it is a huge advantage for phones like the Pre and Pixi. I am not a fan of the Zune HD UI and I never could get comfortable with the Zune software on my PC. Looks like my next phone will be either Android or WebOS.
  6. txter

txter New Member

so ya, their turning into apple. you can only get things from marketplace...only install to phone? so does this mean no more open source software?
    i hope the device mem is a few GBs. i remember reading that the WM7 OS will be so fast that the current processors out now cant handle it. so that means a new line of phones.
    by the time this comes out i will be in the market for an upgrade. i will have a lot of choices by then
  7. chris

Zune HD interface or regular Zune. While similar, I didn't like the Zune UI. I really enjoy the Zune HD UI.
  8. Boredpianoman

Boredpianoman New Member

My experience with both interfaces have left much to be desired. For example, the drag and drop functions stink, as if there were any. :dft007:angryWho knows, maybe they will make a whole new interface for the use of WM7.
  9. btechie

btechie New Member

Just wish that touch is better integrated into the OS! And there is no limit on software installed.
  10. chris

I think multi-touch should be a given and I agree with your second point. Those are limitations of Android and webOS (up until recently). More space allows developers to create immersive apps --- which is good, right.:dft010:big_smile
  11. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

and it gets a name (thanks Chuong)
  12. chris

13. rfarrah

rfarrah New Member

Wow, seems like WM is losing the customization that I love. No Mobile Shell, no install from SD (when you update ROM or have to Master reset), no backward compatibility. From my perspective WM is going the wrong way. Looks like it's time to consider Android.
  14. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

That ENTIRE QUOTE HAS to be a typo or a misdirection attempt, IT JUST HAS TO BE!
  15. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

im afraid not :016:upset