Windows Mobile 6.1 upgrade for Moto Q Global

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by Ron Gerstner, Jun 3, 2008.

1. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Just checked again right now, still no update for us :frown:

I'm gonna ask AT&T right now if they're even going to release it on their site. Maybe they might host it.
  2. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

I know, out of character it seems but I am just taking your advice. So who cares you are on someone's ignore list, if they are so childish that they need to ignore you, then heck with them.
  3. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

I am sure they have it hosted, because they got it and are holding on to it until they decide if they want to pass it on to the customers or not. If you find a sympathetic or frankly a nice technician, they will link you to it. I had that happen once a while back with Dell when they did NOT want to release the Vista compatible BIOS for a unit they didn't want to label compatible when in reality, the hardware was compatible, they just wanted to make more money with other units. He linked me, I got the BIOS, the restriction disappeared and viola. People still look at me and say, how the hell did you get it to run on there, they said it can't. Simply because they chose not to release the BIOS which they had already made mind you.
  4. mexiken

mexiken New Member

They said there'd be a link on the AT&T website pointing you to the Moto website. So its going to be on there, just like the Sprint release.

My guess is, Moto already has the AT&T file, ready to go. They're just waiting for AT&T to give them the go-ahead to release it. This sucks....
  5. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

Exactly, I am sure they have it and that's the link I am talking about, if you can get it then it will be good to go.
  6. Xebec

Xebec Member

While looking around on Motos website, I found that the an update file for Verizon's Q9m called MSU_Q9m_Standalone_Update.exe (not sure what this update is). I also found the update file for Sprint's Q9c called Motorola_Software_Update.exe. Since it didn't have a model number on it, I decided to install it on my PC (without the phone connected of course) to see what it was. It is a Motorola update utility, not specific to Sprint. The update utility detects your IMEI number, Model number, and Mobile Operator and then checks for updates for your phone. I plugged my phone in to see what it said when "check for updates" was selected. It of course said there is no software update currently available for my phone. I'm curious to see if this will be the same update utility for the Q9h when AT&T finally gives the go ahead.

FYI, I found that the update util will not run on Windows Vista 64 bit, you must use WinXP or Vista 32 bit.
  7. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

what are the actual file paths on the server?
    http://bluhbluhblubh/some/directory/with/the/file.exe

and I can try to run a spider on their server to see if get lucky and find that hidden at&t file that is waiting for official release. Its worth a shot.

I am not worried about the OS compatibility, I have over 30 virtual machines with every imaginable OS and configuration for QA and development testing, I will use one of them.
  8. Xebec

Xebec Member

https://rsddownload.motorola.com/download/Motorola_Software_Update.exe

I don't know if the link will work without you having to go through Moto's site and telling them you have a Sprint Q9c under warranty and clicking on "I accept".

Edit: I tested the link out on a different machine. The link works fine.
  9. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Try it, see what happens....
  10. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

I can do a direct port capture anyway, so it won't matter either way but thanks for checking. Do you have the other links too, not the generic filename for the update but the model specific ones that you mentioned. Thanks.

I'll write the spider when I get home tonight. The blackwater training facility was approved for SD and its a logistical nightmare so my day is packed, I may not reply again but I will read every post as soon as I can, just leave the information for me here. Thanks.
  11. mexiken

mexiken New Member

I will PM you some relevant information....
  12. Xebec

Xebec Member

I'm currently on the bus, but I'll post it later tonight. FYI, anyone can goto Moto's website and download them. They don't verify that you actually have the phone.
  13. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

Can't reply to your PM, it says you have exceeded your quota and can't send you anything until you clear up some space. So here is the reply I was trying to send you:

This is the name of the file that has the 6.0 ROM:

SHIP_NORMAN_AP_U_01.04.35R_MODEM4_U_40.11.0FR_USNORMANATT01NAR2W611A016_1FF-ATT.rar

Most likely, the "MODEM4_U_40 MIGHT change, and the letters after the NORMANATT definitely will change. See if you can figure out a way to search around for that.[/quote]

Ok, but what I mean though was the URL download links for the downloads for sprint and all so that we can run a heuristic on it and find out what the att filename is that is downloadable from motorola site, you know what I mean?
  14. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

thanks, I will do that if I have to but it would save time given my hectic schedule, we'll figure something out.
  15. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Oh, easy peasy. I got you.
  16. Xebec

Xebec Member

Verizon Q9m update:
    https://rsddownload.motorola.com/download/MSU_Q9m_Standalone_Update.exe

Sprint Q9c update:
    https://rsddownload.motorola.com/download/Motorola_Software_Update.exe

Those were all the updates I could find for the Q9s. I don't believe the Q9m update is the WM6.1 upgrade because it hasn't been announced yet; so I'm not sure what that update is.
  17. tinsider

tinsider New Member

This is the information I have received from AT&T Global Ops.
    ---

The Blackjack II, Tilt and Moto Q will have Maint Release to WM 6.1 in June. The Pantech Duo will have MR to 6.1 in August. There will also be a couple of new devices launching w/WM 6.1 in Q4[/font]
  18. mexiken

mexiken New Member

How reliable is the information you received ????
  19. ntwrkwizard

ntwrkwizard New Member

The AT&T file, when completed will be:

https://rsddownload.motorola.com/download/AT&T_Q9h_Standalone_Update.exe

You can download it now but it is a placeholder file. Don't ask. I won't tell.
  20. tinsider

tinsider New Member

Probably as reliable as you will find since it is straight from mid-level AT&T business ops (not some customer service rep).