Windows Mobile 6.1 upgrade for Moto Q Global

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by Ron Gerstner, Jun 3, 2008.

1. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

well, it's not all that impressive...
  2. mexiken

mexiken New Member

The people at XDA haven't made one for a few reasons. They're GREAT at HTC phones, but not so much with any others. They're really a very highly expertise group on there. But theres only a child board for ALL non-HTC phones out there, while every HTC device gets a board of its own.

Not complaining, just stating facts. Its like a heavy Q user being asked about the HTC specific protocols, you usually don't know if its outside your area of expertise. I've asked around the boards for help with the Q9h, and most chefs will reply, "I know nothing about the Q/O9h"

However, I have met 3 good developers over there who focus more on WM than HTC specifically, 1 of which is REALLY helping me figure stuff out. He actually put together the 6.1 ROM's for the BJI, so he knows what hes doing. The problem right now is a Moto specific one because were working with Moto propietary formats, and not the actual dumping/cooking/kitchen part.
  3. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Ah, what are you talking about ????

AT&T reps get paid off upgrading (renewing) a customer. It doesn't look as good on paper as an activation does for the store or impress your boss, but it pays EXACTLY as much as a new customer. And frankly, thats all I cared about. Getting paid. Its a better transaction anyway, the customer knows what they did and didn't like on their last phone, and you can genuinely help them find the right phone this time around.

If thats how cable companies work, well thats just lame. Sucks to be in sales for them.

Maybe you should ask. Or not assume that all sales jobs work the same way, because they don't.
  4. mexiken

mexiken New Member

I don't know how Radio Shack works as far as comish and pricing on phones Paco, but AT&T Corporate stores aren't that way, and neither were our resellers actually.

If you upgraded, the customer got the same pricing as a new customer. The main difference being, you COULD and WOULD negotiate pricing with a new customer, especially on multiple lines. However, with an existing, its a little harder for you (and then your boss) to justify discounts on existing customers. Stupid of them to assume that every customer is 100% happy and probably just wants a new phone because they just can't get enough of AT&T I know, but thats kind of the philosphy I guess. BUT, a sales person who generally wants to help people out, you find ways to work around that and help save them money :wink:

I got paid the same exact price for renewing a customer than activating a new one. Hell, I preferred it before they changed the metrics scale, because I could upgrade a customer in less than 10 mins if they knew what phone they wanted, while activating could take upwards of an hour depending on a lot of factors. I've seen new customers in the store for about 5 or 6 hours, because of number port problems and such. They must have REALLY hated their old carrier....
  5. Xebec

Xebec Member

That is my point. NEW customers get better pricing. Your statement above backs that up.
  6. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Very true. But ONLY if they ask or only to keep them from walking. Why would ANY salesman worth a lick just GIVE them better pricing upfront ???? What do you have to leverage with after that ???? Its not like theres 2 two different prices out on the floor, one for returning customers, and one for new customers.

And that wasn't your point, the point you tried to make (which was incorrect), was that a rep doesn't get paid on an existing customer upgrading, and that cable companies do, and that this is, "how sales is", when its not.

No need to backtrack now. If that was your point, you should have said so instead of talking about areas that you had no actual, verified knowledge of.
  7. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

I left radioshack before they started selling AT&T (in my area at least), it was a little over 3 years ago. we were paid higher spiffs for new customers. But (on verizon at least, sprint was different) the pricing was the same for an upgrade customer. Personally; I preferred upgrading, the customers tended to be more knowledgeable.
    The sales aspect was the worst for me, trying to get every bit I could out of them. I would much rather people leave happy, than feeling that I was just in it for the comission. When I started treating people the way I wanted to be treated if I were them, I stopped making money. I'm glad to hear that the carrier's stores operate differently.
  8. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Wow, interesting.

I know the feeling. I hated being pushy, but with new customers, they have options, and they usually know it. So you have to kinda work with them to get them to feel like you're genuinely helping them.

As a tidbit, I know a few Verizon corporate reps. I believe (I can't remember with 100% certainty) they also got paid the same for upgrading a customer.

Makes sense though that RS would be different. Resellers are allowed to set their own pricing, and even their commission structure.

Also, wasn't trying to pick a fight or confront you or anything. I went back and reread my post before I responded to this one, and maybe you could have misconstrued it as such. Sorry about that. Thanks for not taking it that way. Guess I was still a little irritated about the post I replied to before replying to yours. My bad. Or as I say, "mi malo" :2cool:
  9. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

nah, you probably posted that while I was typing my last reply. Nothing to be sorry for.
  10. Xebec

Xebec Member

Don't believe him for a minute. He was very intent on attacking you and me and he still is attacking me at this moment. He doesn't agree with something that was told to by an AT&T salesman at at retail store. Because he is the self proclaimed expert, whenever someone has a different opinion, he gets mad and starts attacking them. I have been told by two different AT&T salesmen at two different AT&T stores that they get more commision off of new activations than they do on renewals. But because he doesn't agree, I must be lying and gives him the right to attack me.
  11. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

well, I can't say one way or the other. I never sold AT&T. And radio shack does tend to have their own way of doing things. But 2 friends of mine now work at another shack (had a chuckle at that one) I can ask them this weekend.
  12. Xebec

Xebec Member

Well, sales people aren't know be completely honest either. I'm just going off what they told me.

BTW, at the time of my Q9 Global purchase, the AT&T salesman told me that the Q9 Global wasn't insurable. When I called AT&T, they said that it WAS insurable. I guess if I didn't bother to call AT&T and had posted that it wasn't insurable, then I would have been subjected to more attacks from you know who. It doesn't matter. I have reported him and have him on ignore now.
  13. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

Agreed, although sad, agreed.
  14. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

Why argue with him, you are only enabling it. Pulled this same crap with me on another post and I ended up looking like the the bad guy. Just let it go, they want to believe what they want to believe and its no loss to you, their loss. You gave them the info and what they do with it is their problem. remember what you told me the last time? take the advice for yourself and relax.
  15. mexiken

mexiken New Member

LOL, are you serious ???? Not you G, just the situation....I'm on somebody's ignore list, cool :2cool:

I know because I sold phones for them, my roommates sold phones for them, I have friends that STILL sell phones for them. You can believe whoever you'd like, but I'm telling you, at the corporate level, not the mom and pops stores, not the mall kiosks or stores, or RS for that matter (no offense at all Paco), you earn the same amount. Like I said, it can be different, because its like a car dealership, it varies. All I know is no matter what, they got paid less than us, whatever their strucute was. And they got paid less hourly too.

But anyway, I'm relaxed. I'm not a self proclaimed expert, hell, I've never even mentioned I was an expert about anything, but it kinda irks me when people do that to you. I'm sorry if my words come off confrontational to other people, I'm just confident I guess. Usually I only post about something when I actually know what I'm talking about, or at least think so. Thats why while I read a lot of threads, I don't post to a lot of them, because well, I don't have any relevant information to pass along, but I do try to point people in the right direction whenever I can. Im human, I have been wrong about things, and I'm man enough to admit it, and apologize. Guess some people are pretty uptight.
  16. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

I think that we're kind of arguing the same thing from different perspectives. And no, I don't take offense at any of it.
    I figured that AT&T's incentive structure would be different, after all they are seperate companies. And to kind of drive this back on topic, I bet that now that sprint has released 6.1 AT&T may feel some pressure to release it soon to avoid losing customers to Sprint (since there are people out there who would do that)
  17. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Lol, its true. People will switch companies for the DUMBEST reasons, at least they are to me, but it makes sense to them. But I always smiled and said, "Welcome" :laugh2:
  18. mexiken

mexiken New Member

I checked today btw, no update on the Moto website :frown:
  19. Xebec

Xebec Member

Maybe, but with Sprint's customer service, I don't think AT&T has any concerns.
  20. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

fortunately I've never had the opportunity to experience sprint's regular customer service. At radio shack our plans were handled by one account manager (stacy) which made things easy. and now; being on a "national volume account" through the army, I call the business line for customer service. Most people there speak english and tend to be quite helpful.