Windows Mobile 6.1 upgrade for Moto Q Global

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by Ron Gerstner, Jun 3, 2008.

1. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

that might very well be a safe bet...
    hey boston, haven't seen you in a while...
  2. dwboston

dwboston New Member

Hey Paco - I've been here - just haven't posted much recently. Things have gotten busy - just found out we have a baby on the way in September (adopting). After the recent SlingPlayer Mobile update I'm pretty set with the Q9h for now. Still enjoy reading the posts here.
  3. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

well congrats on the baby!
    I just have to say i'm glad that (finally) sprint wasn't the last to get something...
  4. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Yes but after seeing the video of the the sliding panel, I'm jealous.
  5. stasis

stasis New Member

I went to the MS Server 2008 launch and they had a MS rep there with some WM6.1 devices. I asked how long it will be for the upgrades and they explained that it is totally up to the cellular companies. He said they have it and he expected it being released in a couple weeks, which was a couple months ago... Since they make no money off of giving out a free upgrade I guess they are taking their time. Maybe they are waiting until you want to buy a new phone so they can sell you a new 6.1 device and get another contract...
  6. mexiken

mexiken New Member

I doubt they'd wait that long, and anyway, MS will poke and prod them to release it sooner or later, because they're releasing an app that ONLY works with 6.1 devices and above, and it costs money to have it, so MS will be losing out if the 6.1 isn't on the devices. Catch my drift ????

In the end, its all about money.
  7. mbrown15

mbrown15 New Member

I am hoping that with the Sprint release last week AT&T will feel some competitive pressure to release their version.
  8. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Amen to that. Hopefully they get it together.
  9. vtaerodoc

vtaerodoc New Member

Your enthusiasm and optimism are great and I hope you will not be disappointed. Having been through the WinMo 6 debacle with AT&T and the Blackjack 1 I won't be holding my breath. We were the last to receive the upgrade to the best of my knowledge and even then we didn't get it until the Blackjack II with WinMo 6 was already on the streets.
  10. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Well, worse come to worst, I can always just keep working on making a 6.1 ROM. Now that I have a 6.0 ROM, this should get a little easier to work with.
  11. Xebec

Xebec Member

I don't know about that. The people over at xda-devs haven't been able to produce one yet, so I think it must be a little more complicated than we think it is. I'm almost positive that AT&T is holding off on it until after they release their new upcoming phones with 6.1 on them. They don't want people to not purchase new phones because their existing one can be upgraded. Remember, 6.1 was shown on both the Blackjack II and Moto Q9 Global AT&T phones back in March. AT&T has no financial incentive to release the upgrade for existing users and they most certainly won't, until the sales of new 6.1 devices slow down.
  12. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

well keeping existing customers who don't want to pay for a new device to get 6.1 could be financial incentive. they can make more money by keeping existing customers happy than by gaining new customers while losing current ones.
  13. Xebec

Xebec Member

Yeah, but sales people make money off of new account signups. They don't get anything for account renewals. Cable companies are the same way. New customers get better pricing than existing customers. Like it or now, that is the way sales works.
  14. mbrown15

mbrown15 New Member

I agree, and if the ROM is complete for the retail Q9 global there is little reason to keep Motorola and AT&T from making it available to existing units. I also remember seeing a quote from an AT&T exec associated with the WM 6.1 announcement that indicated the carrier's commitment to making the update available.

The thing that takes the development time is the carrier specific customization, enabling and crippling features, etc.

Bottom line is that it will happen, but never soon enough for any of us, unless it pops up today.:laugh2:
  15. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

I remember those days well (used to work at Radio Shack)
    but at the corporate level they should (hopefully focus on existing customers), because having to subsidize phones kinda eats away at the bottom line. They make less from a new customer who signs up for 2 years than from an existing customer who renews for 2 years. (not having to subsidize the phone and not having to pay spiffs to the sales types)

But then my perspective changed a bit after I left the shack. The company I work for now will bend over backwards to give the customer everything they want no matter how ridiculous the complaint.
  16. mbrown15

mbrown15 New Member

W should have a contest!

The member who guesses the closest to the day and time the 6.1 update is released for the 9h wins something from the store.

What do you say Mr. Moderator?

I am going to guess noon on July 2, 2008. :whistling
  17. Xebec

Xebec Member

January 16th, 2009 is my guess.
  18. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

you want the free update AND free stuff from the store....greedy greedy
  19. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

yeah, us sprint types didn't get anything from the store, why should you?:wink:
  20. mbrown15

mbrown15 New Member

Well, you do have the update already . . . <_<