Windows Mobile 6.1 Update for VZW Q9c Release Date?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by jawyman, Jul 16, 2008.

1. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

i dont know....
    i dont think i said it did...did i?

been using it for many months without issue
  2. motionD

motionD New Member

Just heard today that?

For what it is worth, I was talking to the customer service rep at one of my local Verizon stores today 8/05/2008, and they all said there is going to be a windows mobile 6.1 update for all phones using 6.0, I asked the question twice, because I didn’t believe them!!

Here is how the conversation went:

Me: Is this the new Q with WM 6.1?( I knew it wasnt, I was playing dumb)

Rep: No, we are going to roll out updates for all WM 6.0 phones.

Me: That’s not what heard!! So the update will include the Q9c?

All the Reps:(the store was empty, I was the only one in the store)
    Yes, you will be able to download the update for the Q9c too.

Me: Do you know when?

Rep: No, but if you give me your email, I will let you know when we hear anything.

I don't know how much the Customer Reps really know, but thought I would share the news anyway?Unsure
  3. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

coincidentally (is that a word) I emailed VZW asking about 6.1 and the rep made it sound like it wasn't very likely it would be offered to Q9c owners..

potQ9c
  4. ohjeez99

ohjeez99 New Member

This is quite frustrating. It wouldn't be nearly as bad if we didn't have to sit and look at all the sprint people frolicking around in all their 6.1 goodness. God that's maddening.
  5. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

most of us sprint types have stopped frolicking, those would be the AT&T types that you are seeing...
    look at it this way, if verizon does chose to upgrade, maybe the apps that we are having some slight problems with will be upgraded by then...
  6. lgluck

lgluck New Member

All I know is that Verizon reps are either not kept updated about new releases and such or they're told to keep their mouths shut. Back in April, I went to more than one store and asked about the release of the Q9c and without fail, was told that they had heard of no such phone or release. Sure enough, a few weeks after I bought the Q9m, out came the Q9c.
  7. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

truly a shame... and also understandable, they merely cover their own rear ends.
  8. lgluck

lgluck New Member

Yup. I do understand it. Just makes the rep-customer relationship shaky, at best.
  9. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

QFT... absolutely.
  10. jlank

jlank New Member

Same thing here. Really sucky of them!!
  11. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

i hate verizon
    i had the original q and even since i upgraded when the 9c first came out i'm more efficient with tech support than TECH SUPPORT.
    Maybe they can put me on contract to do support for Q's.
    ANYWAY Verizon I want 6.1 dammit!

lol!
  12. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

mmmkay :}

potQ9c
  13. ohjeez99

ohjeez99 New Member

Release date

I just talked to a Verizon rep and he checked something online and said that 6.1 for the q9c is "still in testing". He said to look for the release sometime between mid to late September. A lot closer then the never rumor that has been flying around :smile:
  14. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

now its just a new rumor:wink:
  15. darkdomino

darkdomino New Member

Nah... I'd bet money on 6.1 for Verizon... ATT & Sprint have done this already and Verizon is gonna follow suit. They don't wanna look like they're lagging behind. They probably have teams of people that just sit around watching what the other carriers are doing.

I'm not suprised that VZW is dragging their feet though. Their smartphone support for non-blackberry devices is pretty godawful. My Q9C had almost no software pre-installed except Documents-to-Go ... and then I see my friend's Sprint or T-Mobile Dash and they packed the thing full of retail software.

Then they took VZnavigator, mobile e-mail, and mobile IM ... and literally just ported them from the BREW platform to Windows Mobile. No cleanup, no fixes... just a sloppy port. VZnavigator's menus lag like crazy on my smartphone, but even on Razrs with VZnavigator, it runs perfectly. They're Mobile IM and Mobile E-mail software is a joke too... who's gonna use some godwaful web-mail checker when they already shelled out the money for a smartphone device with Outlook Express... c'mon Verizon.

Verizon just doesn't give a shit about smartphone users, and they've made it really clear. It almost makes me want to switch over to Sprint because at least they having a damn clue about how to release a smartphone.
  16. westonea

westonea New Member

I bet you that when VZW thinks of bringing 6.1 to the Q they are truly talking about the 'Motorola Q 9 Napoleon'. I truly dont think they care about the current users, other than giving us the option to purchase the new upgraded phone at full cost. But at least we arent the only ones suffering. Those that have HTC phones on VZW, can get the upgraded ROM to 6.1 but cant relock the phone to work with VZW. Truly making me question my loyalty to VZW (and the discount from work), and thinking of switching to AT&T. Bottom line VZW will probably not give us the software to upgrade to 6.1, instead they will give us a new phone running 6.1 and tell us to buy it at full cost, or use the phone upgrade every 2.
  17. ohjeez99

ohjeez99 New Member

thats not how the rep made it seem. I specifically asked him and he asked me if it was the q9c, and it would make sense for them to eventually come out with it. I dont know why they have to test it, im pretty sure that they are just figuring how to lock everything up (aka gps) before they release it. That would be the verizon that we all know and love. Apparantly they are embracing andriod, which is somewhat off character but not a topic for this thread.
  18. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

hard to determine what VZW is thinking and/or doing... one rep says this, next one says that... close to no consistency, best option at this time is wait & see what happens... actions speaks louder then words.