Windows Mobile 6.1 Update for Sprint Q9c Released

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by Noodlez, Jun 3, 2008.

1. QnsPrincess

QnsPrincess New Member

I might hit the local mall that has a Sprint Store that has a Service Center this weekend.. that would be great if they can do it for me.
    If I can't get to it ... please keep me/us posted as to whether or not they can do the update to WM 6.1.

Thanks!
  2. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

sounds like you are using Vista. You have to install the Vista dashbord...I don't remember the exact name. it is on the first 10 pages someplace.
  3. 200218

200218 New Member

Yay for WM6.1!!

Everything worked out great for me even though I ran into some obstacles...including having to run a software update on my computer which uses windows vista 32-bit operating system. I had to run an update that enable me to unzip the Motorola software update file and then it let me install it. after that the software update process was smooth. I think it was well worth the trouble! It has only rebooted once, and has been problem free ever since then. The threaded text messaging along with add internet features make the Q9c even better than it was! Thanks for the help you guys!

Anthony
  4. QnsPrincess

QnsPrincess New Member

Actually I'm using Windows XP (with the service pack 2).

Edit: Sorry didn't realize that you were asking someone else.
  5. justinwalters

justinwalters New Member

If you are talking about the Windows Mobile Device Center (WMDC) that comes on the software disc included when you purchase a Moto Q, then I already have that. My prob is that I 've done a WIndows Update on my PC and I still can't unzip the file (Motorola Software Updater) that I DL'd from Motorola.com.

From what I understand, you first have to install a Software Updater Tool from Motorola.com THEN you can DL WM6.1 through it and Sync it to your phone with the WMDC. Once it's sync'd to the phone WM6.1 can then be installed.

Does that sound right?

I need help figuring out why I'm getting the VB Script Error when trying to unzip the Software Updater from Motorola.
  6. papped

papped New Member

One thing I noticed with wm6.1

It seems that if you use WMP and have the Music Panel enabled, it takes a lot longer to switch songs compared to if the panel is disabled.

Edit: Hmm now I can't tell for sure...
  7. justinwalters

justinwalters New Member

So I've made some progress but not really. Here's the new prob...

I managed to unzip the Motorola Software Updater program but now when I try to install it I get a message saying that I need to install an essential windows update known as Hotfix KB941600. I looked through my list of installed updates and I already have it successfully installed!!

So what now? I'm at my wits end and about ready to chunk my PC and my phone out in the yard!
  8. QnsPrincess

QnsPrincess New Member

Join the club!..lol
    Did you restart your computer after installing the Windows update? That's really the only thing I can think of atm.
  9. justinwalters

justinwalters New Member

According to my Windows Update history, that was successfully installed on 11/14/2007. I think I've restarted since then! LOL

Since my last post, I have tried getting the WM6.1 update on my girlfriends PC with the exact same results. Given that we have the exact same PC. I have also called Dell and apparently I have to pay to get software support and Microsoft charges $59.99 per help request right off the muscle! Looks like my final hope is the Sprint Service Center.
  10. marmarinou

marmarinou New Member

Try installing Vista Service Pack 1. Then you should be able to do the update with no issues.
  11. papped

papped New Member

I would just take it in to have them do it.

Less hassle due to the issues you are having and if something goes wrong it isn't your fault (like a brick, etc).
  12. destinydmm

destinydmm New Member

Sorry if this a dumb question :embarassed: but I have a Q9c. Right now I have SmartMonitor, RJ Time, Facade, 4orangeh.dll (registered), V2R's Media Player Plugin, PhonaAlarm SP as far as my homescreen is concerned. My homescreen is a compilation of Gadget's Black Vista 2 & Nottach's MyPhone, with some minor tweaks. If I upgrade to WM 6.1 can I incorporate the slide panel (CHome) to my existing homescreen :thumbup:? Or will it pretty much be swept up my the upgrade Unsure? Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

13. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

At this point facade (at least) won't work with the sliding panel homescreen, but you can continue to use your current homescreen as is.
  14. destinydmm

destinydmm New Member

is the update really worth going through all the hassle?

Thanks PacoJr67 for the quick response
  15. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

it really didn't amount to much hassle for me (no more than a regular MOL update), and I do think it was worth it.
  16. jennaisavol

jennaisavol New Member

Real mad

I'm assuming that it's true that if you have a Mac (and use activesync) that you cannot install the update. Does anyone know any way around this? I really want that update!!

I apologize if this has already been posted, I searched this thread and the board, but I've been known to be a bit airheaded.
  17. QnsPrincess

QnsPrincess New Member

Sprint Store

O sorry I thought the update on the computer was something waaayyy more recent than that.. my apologies.

I'm hitting the Sprint store this weekend (tomorrow actually) since my husband's phone (not a Q) has an issue so figured since I'm there I might as well see (hopefully :crosses fingers: ) if they can do the MW 6.1 update.
  18. stunner1

stunner1 New Member

windows 6.1 troubles.

I just installed the windows mobile 6.1 update successfully on my sprint q9c phone but cannot access the Internet. I have reset the phone and also checked all the network and roam settings. Any ideas?
  19. eboe

eboe New Member

I've looked through almost all of the pages on this thread, so I apologize if this has been covered and I missed it -

Ever since I updated to 6.1 weeks ago, I can have bars (even 4 sometimes), and I will get a "no signal" error when using IE or synchronizing my email. But when I reboot my phone, it will work just fine for a while. But I have to reboot it every time, and sometimes it ends up being a hard reset where I have to take the freakin battery out. I'm so frustrated, and I called the idiots at Sprint and all they have done is to "switch the default tower" or some similar BS. They talk about having coverage like a 12 man defense but instead, for me, it's like having a 12 pee-wee football person defense.

It's just frustrating the crap out of me, when it tells me that I don't have service, when it is clearly there. It will also tell me that I cannot make a data call while a phone call is in progress, but I'm not on the phone either.

This phone is lucky it hasn't been thrown out of my car window as I drive from job to job as a PC tech. My sanity sure has.
  20. eboe

eboe New Member

I've seen a few people asking a question about this since this was posted, and I figured I would quote it as it might be just the thing to fix the problem I had posted above. But this seems to have worked for now, fingers crossed.